Fallout countdown timer appears on official site

Dark0ne

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #25781269. #25784194, #25784444 are all replies on the same post.

Wallettheif wrote: If fallout 4 isn't developed by Obsidian then I'm honestly not interested. Fallout 3 was awful, awful, awful.
PotatoeGun wrote: I don't see how it was very different from New Vegas. It lacked an iron sight mechanic and that was about it. They both have an annoying colored haze, boring stories, and can be modded. New Vegas didn't add anything worth mentioning in my opinion and I thought Fallout 3's landscape was better.
Leedar wrote: FO3 had bad combat mechanics besides the failure to implement iron sights (e.g. OP VATS). While the writing isn't amazing in FNV, it's better than the generic hero story of FO3 and more in tune with the FO universe.

I get this feeling Bethesda is staying on the eastern US and maybe (just maybe) Obsidian will do more on the west, to allow Bethesda to develop its own sub-universe.

I believe you are over looking the story. The writing is better if you understand the meaning. you see fallout NV's story seems to be trying to prove a point. The whole NV line mirrors the American civil war and old western culture at that time period, and small hints are dropped indicating that if we do not learn from our past we will repeat it, since the past has been destroyed we in the wasteland revert. It's actually brilliant Edited by Me444

In response to post #25771794. #25773209, #25777049, #25777159, #25780994, #25783964 are all replies on the same post.

KiCHo666 wrote: Please don't be dumbed down....Please don't be dumbed down.....Please don't be dumbed down.....Please don't be dumbed down.....Please don't be dumbed down.....Please don't be dumbed down.....Please don't be dumbed down.....Please don't be dumbed down.....Please don't be dumbed down......
d81 wrote: If Skyrim is any indication I expect the worst...but still (idiotically) hope for the best.
Camonna Tong wrote: Quite a bit of the "dumbing down" had to do with the consoles, so it won't be as bad. Morrowind, which is my favorite, had the most dumbing down of them all. I've not had problems with most of the dumbing down. Stuff like the Classes being removed I agreed with. Post-Daggerfall classes had no real point besides affecting your level rate and how high your level can be.
jim_uk wrote: If it follows the Elder Scrolls pattern then each game will be dumber than the last with important stuff stripped out to make way for pointless fluff, hopefully mods can correct that.
Gopher wrote: @jim_uk I disagree. I don't think the TES games have been dumbed down at all. I have been playing since Daggerfall, and the only thing I would say is 'dumbed down' in Skyrim is the magic/enchanting system. I understand why they had to do that (and it had nothing to do with consoles), but I didn't like it.
Bloodinfested wrote: You could write a small novel on the amount of dumb down in TES so I wouldn’t get your hopes up bud accept reality...

@Gopher You can't be serious? the rot started with Oblivion, that's when quests become nothing but follow the arrow and do what you're told, even then when you arrived at the generic cave that the arrow led you to you got a pop up telling you that you should go in, the game had a never ending tutorial.

Fallout 3 was a little better but not by much, again it was a case of follow the arrow and do what you're told. Then there's Skyrim, a game where so much has been stripped away that the player is completely detached from the world, nothing you do matters, no one in the game cares about what's happening, you're once again following the arrow and doing what you're told, the game doesn't even have a proper journal to remind you of what you're following that arrow for, it's been replaced by a list that serves as nothing more than a way of changing which way the GPS arrow points.

Bethesdas games have no meaningful choices, no consequences, quests work in complete isolation from each other making the world incoherent. Their standard of writing is nothing short of atrocious, this leads to dull stories and one dimensional NPCs who all seem to be suffering from various types of mental illness.

Bethesda's games give the illusion of freedom when in reality there is none, the quests are no different to single player Call of Duty, you're not free to think for yourself, to make any choices in how any of it plays out, the only choice you have is do the quest now or do it later. Look at all the choices and paths New Vegas offers and then compare it to Fallout 3.

As modding platforms Bethesdas titles are second to none, as RPGs they're garbage.

In response to post #25771794. #25773209, #25777049, #25777159, #25780994, #25783964, #25785324 are all replies on the same post.

KiCHo666 wrote: Please don't be dumbed down....Please don't be dumbed down.....Please don't be dumbed down.....Please don't be dumbed down.....Please don't be dumbed down.....Please don't be dumbed down.....Please don't be dumbed down.....Please don't be dumbed down.....Please don't be dumbed down......
d81 wrote: If Skyrim is any indication I expect the worst...but still (idiotically) hope for the best.
Camonna Tong wrote: Quite a bit of the "dumbing down" had to do with the consoles, so it won't be as bad. Morrowind, which is my favorite, had the most dumbing down of them all. I've not had problems with most of the dumbing down. Stuff like the Classes being removed I agreed with. Post-Daggerfall classes had no real point besides affecting your level rate and how high your level can be.
jim_uk wrote: If it follows the Elder Scrolls pattern then each game will be dumber than the last with important stuff stripped out to make way for pointless fluff, hopefully mods can correct that.
Gopher wrote: @jim_uk I disagree. I don't think the TES games have been dumbed down at all. I have been playing since Daggerfall, and the only thing I would say is 'dumbed down' in Skyrim is the magic/enchanting system. I understand why they had to do that (and it had nothing to do with consoles), but I didn't like it.
Bloodinfested wrote: You could write a small novel on the amount of dumb down in TES so I wouldn’t get your hopes up bud accept reality...
jim_uk wrote: @Gopher You can't be serious? the rot started with Oblivion, that's when quests become nothing but follow the arrow and do what you're told, even then when you arrived at the generic cave that the arrow led you to you got a pop up telling you that you should go in, the game had a never ending tutorial.

Fallout 3 was a little better but not by much, again it was a case of follow the arrow and do what you're told. Then there's Skyrim, a game where so much has been stripped away that the player is completely detached from the world, nothing you do matters, no one in the game cares about what's happening, you're once again following the arrow and doing what you're told, the game doesn't even have a proper journal to remind you of what you're following that arrow for, it's been replaced by a list that serves as nothing more than a way of changing which way the GPS arrow points.

Bethesdas games have no meaningful choices, no consequences, quests work in complete isolation from each other making the world incoherent. Their standard of writing is nothing short of atrocious, this leads to dull stories and one dimensional NPCs who all seem to be suffering from various types of mental illness.

Bethesda's games give the illusion of freedom when in reality there is none, the quests are no different to single player Call of Duty, you're not free to think for yourself, to make any choices in how any of it plays out, the only choice you have is do the quest now or do it later. Look at all the choices and paths New Vegas offers and then compare it to Fallout 3.

As modding platforms Bethesdas titles are second to none, as RPGs they're garbage.

I think its a little early to start the PC vs consoles trash talk. That horse has been beaten to death a million times over on the internet and serves no purpose here.

:ets wait and see what this announcement actually is before we make assumptions of the future of Fallout.

-Natterforme

In response to post #25771794. #25773209, #25777049, #25777159, #25780994, #25783964, #25785324, #25785509 are all replies on the same post.

jim_uk wrote: @Gopher You can't be serious? the rot started with Oblivion, that's when quests become nothing but follow the arrow and do what you're told, even then when you arrived at the generic cave that the arrow led you to you got a pop up telling you that you should go in, the game had a never ending tutorial.

Natterforme wrote: I think its a little early to start the PC vs consoles trash talk. That horse has been beaten to death a million times over on the internet and serves no purpose here.

:ets wait and see what this announcement actually is before we make assumptions of the future of Fallout.

-Natterforme

There is other dumbing down, skills and perks in Skyrim are not as robust as the previous titles. Then there's the whole outfit system that went from Oblivion allowing the player to mix and match top and bottom along with shoes, gloves, and hats to FO3's lack of choices that has continued to Skyrim.

In response to post #25781269. #25784194, #25784444, #25785124 are all replies on the same post.

Wallettheif wrote: If fallout 4 isn't developed by Obsidian then I'm honestly not interested. Fallout 3 was awful, awful, awful.
PotatoeGun wrote: I don't see how it was very different from New Vegas. It lacked an iron sight mechanic and that was about it. They both have an annoying colored haze, boring stories, and can be modded. New Vegas didn't add anything worth mentioning in my opinion and I thought Fallout 3's landscape was better.
Leedar wrote: FO3 had bad combat mechanics besides the failure to implement iron sights (e.g. OP VATS). While the writing isn't amazing in FNV, it's better than the generic hero story of FO3 and more in tune with the FO universe.

I get this feeling Bethesda is staying on the eastern US and maybe (just maybe) Obsidian will do more on the west, to allow Bethesda to develop its own sub-universe.
Me444 wrote: I believe you are over looking the story. The writing is better if you understand the meaning. you see fallout NV's story seems to be trying to prove a point. The whole NV line mirrors the American civil war and old western culture at that time period, and small hints are dropped indicating that if we do not learn from our past we will repeat it, since the past has been destroyed we in the wasteland revert. It's actually brilliant

Kind of. It's easy to overlook something if you don't like it. I didn't like NV's story so I never paid attention. I just don't care much about the story anyway. It's fun the first time around, tolerable the second, and it's outright awful every other time. I tend to focus more on mods because they keep me playing.

In response to post #25771794. #25773209, #25777049, #25777159, #25780994, #25783964, #25785324, #25785509, #25785969 are all replies on the same post.

Natterforme wrote: I think its a little early to start the PC vs consoles trash talk. That horse has been beaten to death a million times over on the internet and serves no purpose here.

-Natterforme
jet4571 wrote: There is other dumbing down, skills and perks in Skyrim are not as robust as the previous titles. Then there's the whole outfit system that went from Oblivion allowing the player to mix and match top and bottom along with shoes, gloves, and hats to FO3's lack of choices that has continued to Skyrim.

I am actually so anxious right now, So so worried they will change direction of what we the people want. All i want is basically a better version of FNV combined with Fo3 and Skyrim using the updated Gamebryo engine that Skyrim was on. And if they added co-op (big IF i know) that would be even better.

But I'd really like to see an advance on skills and character progression, along with more in depth game play and narrative. And yes Gopher the games have become dumbed down because of consoles and yes they have/are being held back by consoles but yes IF Fo4 is mod-able then we modder's can fix the dumbness.

I just really hope Fo4 isn't taking the "For casual gamers" route sooo many games are taking.