"Proper" khajit and argonian bodyshapes/animations

MarkInMKUK

@semtex John Howe is probably someone you could ask questions. I have seen him answer questions from artists before. If you showed him your model, he might have suggestions.

@MarkInMKUK Interesting suggestion about the webbing. Since their ancestry is aquatic, it would make some sense. Might cause some clipping issues, not sure. Trying to imagine what might happen when they hold various kinds of items.

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This mod is looking good for sure... I'd be thrilled to help in any possible way, however I don't know to script or work with meshes :( . The only thing I can offer to you people is my ideas and any request for drawings(concept art), since I've got a nice hand for paper and pencil and I'm also a creature lover. I would also like to try the mod while in beta and give feedback if you need it.

I saw some pictures on the khajiit feet... I did not read the whole thread since its getting long(which means you may have noticed what I'm about to say and changed it already), and even though I love how it's coming up, I have two details to point at (maybe I'm being too picky). One is the shape and placement of the toes, the toes have a 'swollen' look in my opinion, and are set in an almost straight line (cats have the two central toes more forward than the other two on the sides).

The other thing is the colour of the claws. If you observe a feline paw... especially one in those tan shades, you will notice that the claw itself has an ivory sort of colour (ranging from pale-greyish-pink to pale-greyish-ochre), and it's the fur surrounding the claw what has a dark colour. As claws are most of the time retracted, from distance we humans get to see these dark fur dashes in the place of the claws, and thus associate the dark colour with the claws.

I can post pictures and/or drawings of what I'm trying to point at.

Keep up the good work!

Hi Candex - welcome to the thread!

Yes, please feel free to post pictures to help - I think I know what you mean but it's always best to clarify. I have all the artistic ability of a drunken warthog, so it's nice to have an artist aboard!

Warning - if you can use Photoshop , the GIMP, or Paint.NET, you may find yourself being asked to tweak the textures! :)

Hi Candex - welcome to the thread! Yes, please feel free to post pictures to help - I think I know what you mean but it's always best to clarify. I have all the artistic ability of a drunken warthog, so it's nice to have an artist aboard! Warning - if you can use Photoshop , the GIMP, or Paint.NET, you may find yourself being asked to tweak the textures! :)

Thanks for the welcome!

That's to point the claw colours and dark fur. And yes I have some basic GIMP and Photoshop knowledge, and dare to tweak the textures! I think it may be something easy because it's a small area away from any joints/seams. I've never done such thing before, but I've seen some blender tutorials and as far as I understood the textures are a separate image (can't remember the format) that follow a map so you get the proper bits where they should go... ...so my major problem would be learning to work with the texture and mesh. I'm peeking at nifskope for the first time in my life right now. Although as I said I don't think it would be necessary for this small thing in particular.

For the paw shapes and 'swollenness' I should make a drawing. Does this team accept some freehanded pencil sketches as explanation?

Given that "the team" seem reasonably ok with my own inane witterings, I think it's safe to assume that they will accept anything intellegible...

I've been considering it and I actually think that I opened my mouth too early- the proper word is not swollen but 'relaxed'. The feet from the pictures look like are not supporting much weight at all... yet, now that I come to think about it, how many 'bones' does that foot have? Maybe it looks like it's not supporting much weight because it's not. I should see it moving in a walking cycle to know of what I am talking about, really. And even then, if the toes were actually fixed to the foot (no movement), the foot as it is now would look perfect while jumping or stepping forward in the air... I will post the sketch I made anyway, maybe it helps explain myself a bit better.

At the bottom is the dodgy sketch of the upper view. 1) is as paws look like in our world (more or less) and 2) is what the foot model looks like. Which is not bad either, the toes are placed in a humanish arrangement. This is good if that's what you are after. For the more beastly look I think the toes could be re-arranged. Don't take me wrong though; the foot looks good as it is now, and if this is the way it is meant to be done so be it- I still love it.

The other thing is the colour of the claws. If you observe a feline paw... especially one in those tan shades, you will notice that the claw itself has an ivory sort of colour (ranging from pale-greyish-pink to pale-greyish-ochre), and it's the fur surrounding the claw what has a dark colour. As claws are most of the time retracted, from distance we humans get to see these dark fur dashes in the place of the claws, and thus associate the dark colour with the claws.

There isn't a cat in the world that has black claws. Black nails on a feline are a sign of a fungal infection, in fact.

This picture shows the black "surrounding fur" on a Tiger's feet - as you can see the claws themselves are totally withdrawn leaving just black streaks.

Nice view of the underside of a tiger's paws.

This one is interesting - a wet tiger - you can see the claw sheath construction where the fur has parted.

And this one confirms the claw colour - roughly fingernail shade.

From a bit of research, it appears that the only times you see a cat's claws are:-

(1) when it is using them,

(2) when there is sufficient pressure on the top of the paw to push them out, or

(3) when the cat is very ill or dead, in which case the tendons work to protrude the claws. There is a theory that this helps an injured cat to defend itself with less effort, but no-one really has a clue.

"Healthy" tiger tracks usually have almost no claw print, unlike a dog where the claws do not retract

Edited by MarkInMKUK

From a bit of research, it appears that the only times you see a cat's claws are:-

(1) when it is using them,

(2) when there is sufficient pressure on the top of the paw to push them out, or

(3) when the cat is very ill or dead, in which case the tendons work to protrude the claws. There is a theory that this helps an injured cat to defend itself with less effort, but no-one really has a clue.

Note that this does not apply to the cheetah. They use their claws like soccer (football) cleats and cannot retract them.

It's a bit harder to apply things like this to anthropomorphics. Foot models on a Khajiit could go either way and still make sense to me. Non-retractable claws could add traction and a bit of stability. Retractable claws could keep them sharp for use in combat. This one comes down to personal preference I think.

It's a bit harder to apply things like this to anthropomorphics. Foot models on a Khajiit could go either way and still make sense to me. Non-retractable claws could add traction and a bit of stability. Retractable claws could keep them sharp for use in combat. This one comes down to personal preference I think.

I agree 100%.

So the texture would have to be changed, to the ivory colour and dark surrounding fur if they are kept visible (current foot model version), or changed to just a dark-fur-dashes if the claws are hidden from sight (possible modificated version).

I think the 'traction' (current, visible claws option) is the way to go. Not only time is saved (no claws to remove), also in Oblivion a khajiit (and any other race) is more likely to use its legs for running instead of kicking, at least in vanilla. Keeping claws visible would work well also with a mod that allows kicking.