Is it true: Wichter 2 Collector's Edition=$120

SpellAndShield

http://windows7themes.net/pics/preorder-the-witcher-2-collectors-edition.jpg

As much as I like collecting gaming momentos, this is outragous for me. If you compare that to Aus (due to taxes and other economical pressures) it's almost around $200. I'll just buy the regular.

Edited by brokenergy

I have known a lot of people who have spend hundreds, if not thousands of dollars on movie and video game related merchandise, such as a replica of "Sting" from Lord Of The Rings, or an Action figure from a video game. I knew one girl who spent $500+ on Totoro-related merchandise. I myself owned over a hundred dollars in Pikachu merchandise in my teens(I was notorious for my love of Pikachu, hence all my presents were pikachu-related).

Thus a $120-$200 price tag on what is essentially merchandise bundled with a game is not at all surprising. Heck, You could make a collector's edition costing $500, and at least a few hardcore fans will buy it.

Alternatively, you can pre-order the game on GOG.com, and you'll get it DRM-free, plus you support the developers.

GOG.com is a digital distribution platform. We (that is, CD Projekt RED) and GOG.com share the same parent company, which means that by ordering The Witcher 2 from GOG.com, you'll be giving practically 100% of your money to, and thus supporting, the company creating the game. Moreover, we think GOG has a great offer for you - one that's certainly worth a glance. Naturally, you'll be supporting us any time you acquire a legal copy of the game, so if for some reason the GOG.com offer doesn't strike your fancy, feel free to go to one of the many other sites offering The Witcher 2.

http://www.thewitcher.com/images/newsletter/line.png

The offer at GOG.com is extraordinary for a number of reasons. We've often stated how much we dislike DRM measures that only limit the fun players derive from games they acquire legally. Here's our chance to translate those words into action. The Witcher 2 at GOG.com will be the first major production in the world to be digitally distributed without even a hint of DRM!!! Once you get the game, you'll play it without worrying if you have an active Internet connection, you'll back up your copy of the game freely and install it on as many computers as you have. In other words, you'll be getting a game that you'll enjoy without a whole heap of annoyances that would otherwise only hinder your pleasure!

As much as I like that incentive to have a DRM free game from GOG but the fact that it is considered a "good old game" already really annoys me. I am also annoyed at the devs themselves by how they describe their game and disrespecting other developers, BioWare particularly. I'm know that TW2 will be a great game and will be in my 'to buy' list but the fact that they are cocky and disrespect other developers really loses respect for me. Also the fact that they are silent about the tool-set, considering the fact that they constantly state that they support the PC community, is also in the list.

As much as I like that incentive to have a DRM free game from GOG but the fact that it is considered a "good old game" already really annoys me. I am also annoyed at the devs themselves by how they describe their game and disrespecting other developers, BioWare particularly. I'm know that TW2 will be a great game and will be in my 'to buy' list but the fact that they are cocky and disrespect other developers really loses respect for me. Also the fact that they are silent about the tool-set, considering the fact that they constantly state that they support the PC community, is also in the list.

Disrespect? I'm not interested in how a game developer disrespects other companies, even if the 'victim' is BioWare. My only concern is whether or not they disrespect me as their customer. And if they provide me with a truly DRM-free solution - and an entertaining game - then in my eyes they have earned the right to be a bit cocky. (As a matter of fact, after playing The Witcher a couple of times, they have already earned that right.).

How are they disrespecting other developers, exactly? And they're not using GoG to distribute because it's a good old game, they're using it because they own it, and it's a good way to independently publish their product without having to pay a publisher loads of money to do it for them.

As for the collector's edition... that's just the biggest collector's edition available. There's also a 'premium' edition, which is cheaper but has less stuff in it, and the GoG DRM-free download version also comes with a selection of bonus goodies (soundtrack, art book, etc). I think the way they're handling this is really great, it's a shame more companies don't treat their customers so well. Not to mention the various free games and GoG store credit you can get if you preorder it. There's details of all the different things here.

As for the tool set... I could have sworn they've already announced that there will be one for the game, but it won't be available immediately at release? We may have to wait a month or so longer to get our hands on it.

Edited by The_Terminator

Sorry, but the fact that they claimed that they "influenced" BioWare's romances in DA and attack BioWare's dialogue wheel really annoys me. Coupled with the fact that people in BioWare forums praise TW2 after trashing DA2 when half the things they complain TW2 has really puts me on the edge. I don't mind the game and I wish well for them but to do this sort of trash talk really loses respect for me. Also I'm not really a BioWare "fan boy" or anything, I just dislike trash talk by developers and by rabid fans. So you may at least understand why I'm a bit cagey about TW2.