max of 15 FPS on windows 7?

oblivpomd

OK, so i just installed oblivion 5 days ago for my first time ever (yes im the newb for now) because i had seen many gameplay videos and it looked like an amazing game. so after installing it i noticed right off the bat that it seemed to be running slowly. during the character creation screen my mouse skipped wildly and it took me almost 20 minutes just to create an imperial male with almost no changes to his face at all. i found that im getting a max of 15 FPS while playing but when im in the pause menu or item screen it shoots up to 60FPS. does anyone on here know how i can fix this because i really want to play this game.

my system information:

RAM: 4GB

processor: AMD athlon II X2 250 processor 3.00 GHZ

video card; GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 with 266.58 driver

memory: 582 GB

can anyone please tell my why it is running so slowly and if there are any mods and patches i can download and install to help it run faster?

Here are my Slow Game suggestions

http://tesnexus.com/articles/article.php?id=255

thanks for the help, but unfortunately i tried what u said and eventually just resorted to setting all of my video settings to the lowest possible, which resolved my FPS problem (maybe, no idea what a high fps is) and brough it up to an avg of 46, but it looked terrible. it sucks because i really wanted to play this game :( i guess i may as well give up now

Your graphics card is not up to the task, that is the problem. The GForce 6 series was launched in 2004, and I believe yours (6150SE) was released in 2007. Time to dust off your wallet/purse.

You are seeing an average fps of 46 - that's great. for comparison, the console version is capped at 30. and movies are shown at between 25 & 30fps. Now try bringing some of the sliders up a little to make it look better. 25 to 30 fps will still run good and you can have higher visuals too. Especially if you follow the advice from the Tweak guides. http://www.tweakguides.com/ Remember to tweak your operating system first, then your video card and the specific game last.

well, I have thought about it for a while and have come to the decision that im going to build my own pc. but i need from help. i have already selected all of the parts im going to build it from but i need help to know if it will run Oblivion at around 45- 55 fps constant with what i have chosen as there is no where i can find that will tell me. here are the parts of the pc:

Mother Board: Gigabyte 890FXA-UD5 Motherboard

CPU: AMD Phenom II 1100T Black Edition Six Core CPU

RAM: 4 GB DDR3. also should i buy one or two sticks of this?

Harddrive: OCZ Vertex 2 OCZSSD2-2VTXE120G 2.5" 120GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive. i know not very big lulz, will probably purchase an external later if i need too.

the case probably isnt a factor but it is an Antec Nine Hundred Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Video Card: GIGABYTE GV-N450OC-1GI GeForce GTS 450 no idea if this will be sufficient to run it, read at several places that it is more than good enough to run oblivion on its highest settings but i would appreciate a second opinion from you guys

Power supply: Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W Continuous Power ATX12V Ver.2.2

so i need to know if this will be sufficient enough to run oblivion maxed out and still get a FPS average of 45ish and if anybody knows could you please tell me if the parts are even compatible because that would be a awesome to know before i drop 1200$ on this

Edited by oblivpomd

oh and as a last note, should i go with building a PC with all the parts i mentioned before or buying an alienware aurora? not the ALX version just the standard 1000 dollar one with the i5 processor. i would be willing to spend 200 extra on building my own if the aurora wont be sufficient for what i want oblivion to run at.

If your budget allows for it, go for dual graphics cards, or a single top of the range card -- with Oblivion you can't skimp on this if you wan't good fps, As for your question about running at 45-55 fps, that's going to depend on lots of things, and can't be guaranteed at all times with an old game like Oblivion.

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies for bumping this thread,but I think this is relevant to what I would like to ask, and so I didn't start a new thread...

I have been struggling with FPS too, running Windows 7 (64bit) and my system is an i7 (920) not overclocked, 6 Gb DDR3, Graphics 2Gb HD6950, X-Fi PCIe soundcard. Latest drivers installed.

With a vanilla install I can achieve 100+ FPS indoors, and 40 - 60 FPS outdoors, all settings maxed, HDR on.

However, as soon as I install Better Cities, my framerate plummets to 30 FPS and, around the waterfront, only as much as 20 FPS...

I realise what has been said before, and I understand Oblivion is an old game, and it has limitations. But really, is that performance all I should expect when BC is installed without anything else?

Have I been duped by the screenshot junkies ( ! ), as when I load up WryeBash with the texture mods, etc., certain areas can become a total slideshow.

Is the reality that you cannot have your cake and eat it, so you have to choose? I was hoping (perhaps naively) that I could use the likes of QTP3 Redemized, Better Cities and RAEVWD together, and still (with a 2GB HD6950), achieve reasonable, playable framerates of 25 FPS+.

Am I expecting too much?

Regards

@oblivpomd: for nowadays AMD CPU you should prefer 2 RAM sticks (or four by what it matters) to be able to use in dual mode.

@Rededge: It's just normal, Oblivion defies any hardware you throw at it. Remember the engine is old by now and can't even make optimized usage of multithreading, Crossfire/SLI and so on. I mean, it's not only about the hardware, where it is under specs it fail because of it, where it is above, it can't be used at max "glory".

Finally, Oblivion is not a First Person Shooter, although greater FPS will not hurt it's not that critical, anything above 25 without mouse/keyboard lag is totally playable.

Anyway, try disabling the VSync directly at the video driver control panel, it is one the most common guilt for low performance in high end machines.

Edit: sorry, I missed the real question. I'm not sure about better cities performance but you should look for anything that increase the number of simultaneous running AIs (like NPCs or even creatures).

Oblivion has a problem to deal with too many legs too (only creatures here), it seems it try reloading the actual files for each sound. To reduce that issue there is a mood named "Quiet feet" I used when played, I think it is still alive and kicking. Although a sound problem it affects overall performance

Edited by nosisab