Why is there simply not a mass elimination of torrent sites on the par

SpellAndShield

Because the "sites" are not hosting the content. They are providing information to the general public....AS WELL AS the authorities.

It works both ways for them. If the public uses it to perform illegal activities, they are also letting the authorities know who they are. Even if illegal torrents are completely "underground", the Internet Service Providers can tell if you are using torrents based on the data packets being sent/received which are all logged. The authorities could utilize ISPs to track illegal torrents this way as well.

And I'm sure they don't have the manpower or money to try and shutdown all torrent sites. If they did, why not shutdown FTP sites too while they are at it...and news groups...and other www sites...etc.

Currently, it is all about low-hanging fruit...the big boys creating and hosting illegal files...occasionally the little guys every once in a while to shake people up.

LHammonds

Well there's a ton of different torrent sites out there, coming from many, many different countries around the world, and honestly I don't know how much power US and Canadian governments and companies have over websites that are based in foreign countries. Probably not that much, if any at all.

But how come you dislike torrents so much? They're not so bad. I use them all the time to download ROMs for older video games that aren't being sold anymore.

Edited by Lehcar

If torrent sites provide illegal content for people to download, why don't authorites simply get rid of all torrent sites? What is stopping them?

They do try but it's like playing whack a mole, they knock one down, it pops up somewhere else and they're back to square one.

If torrent sites provide illegal content for people to download, why don't authorites simply get rid of all torrent sites? What is stopping them?

They do try but it's like playing whack a mole, they knock one down, it pops up somewhere else and they're back to square one.

Uhm, but there are some really prominent ones out there. I am talking major ones, not small sites. It would be easy to shut them down I think.

Uhm, but there are some really prominent ones out there. I am talking major ones, not small sites. It would be easy to shut them down I think.

They did take down the biggest and it was up and running again in no time at all.

It also depends on WHERE the site is being hosted.

If hosted in the US or UK, they will likely get the smackdown...but I think there are several other countries that do not prosecute or are incapable.

But again, torrent networks are a very useful technology and it isn't going away anytime soon. I'd even like to see the Nexus provide torrent service for all the mods...then we'd all be downloading mods off buddah's PC. lol.

I may be in error ...but are not Torrent Sites engaged in software piracy?

Torrents are not necessarily not pirated or illegal content, but people who pirate and distribute pirated material prefer torrent distribution because it lessens the load on the server and is less easy to shut down.