(PETITION) unskippable video adds cross the line

mikeloeven

Oh, I read that post alright. Did you read mine? I will not change my mind. Trust me, you're going to lose members with this type of thing. Either that, or everyone's going to start uploading to mirrors.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And where would people go, huh?

Planet Elder Scrolls? They're even worse with the ads!

TES Alliance? A good place, but would have to use the same kind of ads as The Nexus if everyone were to use it.

Why? Does not everyone have their right to explain their opinions? You claim to have years of knowledge with web sites, but I don't really think you know exactly how ad marketing works. (No offense, I even admit that I'm no professional.) It's proven: ads, especially when you're forced to watch them, makes people mad. I'm just warning you of what the consequences could potentially be, for these ads.

I run several sites, and yes, I do have ads. However, they are just a simple bar ad in a remote location. (My two main sites don't have ads. We have affiliates, however, but they're only on one page.) I don't mind the bar ads, it's just the popups, and forced ads that get on my nerves. (And I'm sure you've probably had the same attitude if you have been to a site that has tons of them)

EDIT: Someone else could potentially build another site like this, but use an affiliate program with a file-uploading site.

Edited by joquanpro

Not to mention that this site is pretty much the only one with few restrictions as to what files you can upload (pretty much, if it's legal, it's OK)

Which is wrong. The retarded mods of naked women and skimpy outfits are plain out perverted, and should be banned from any site.

Why? Does not everyone have their right to explain their opinions? You claim to have years of knowledge with web sites, but I don't really think you know exactly how ad marketing works. (No offense, I even admit that I'm no professional.) It's proven: ads, especially when you're forced to watch them, makes people mad. I'm just warning you of what the consequences could potentially be, for these ads.

I run several sites, and yes, I do have ads. However, they are just a simple bar ad in a remote location. (My two main sites don't have ads. We have affiliates, however, but they're only on one page.) I don't mind the bar ads, it's just the popups, and forced ads that get on my nerves. (And I'm sure you've probably had the same attitude if you have been to a site that has tons of them)

EDIT: Someone else could potentially build another site like this, but use an affiliate program with a file-uploading site.

And your sites probably have 2,108,326 users, 41,744 files, 83,530 images, 246,825 topics & 2,606,261 posts, eh? (By the time this is posted, those numbers have increased though.)

The Nexus has those "simple bar ads", but they're not enough, that's why the new ads was necessary in the first place.

There have been made sites like this (Not as big though), but they have since disappeared, because they didn't find a way to keep it going. Robin has found this way, and although some hate it, and can't live with it, most actually lives with it, and doesn't complain at all.

Which is wrong. The retarded mods of naked women and skimpy outfits are plain out perverted, and should be banned from any site.

This is your opinion, not everyone's else. And by the numbers of downloads on those "retarded" mods, quite a few seems to disagree with you.

You are really being a kiss-up, do you realize it?

Youtube has more than that, but yet, they don't have THAT many ads. Facebook has more than Youtube, and yet they don't put up that kind of crap. That's because they have REALLY good marketing team members.

Why? Does not everyone have their right to explain their opinions?

You've already done that and now you're beating a dead horse. I'm telling you to stop.

You claim to have years of knowledge with web sites, but I don't really think you know exactly how ad marketing works.

I don't claim it, I do. 9 years to be precise.

It seems to me you're a bit clueless on the marketing side of things and, having majored in marketing at university, I like to think I know at least a thing or two. For example there's a reason why I know Pampers are a brand of nappy without ever having a child, why I know Tampax are a brand of tampon without ever having need for them, and why Nicorette are smoking patches without ever being addicted to smoking. Marketing. So I may not click on the ads or buy something from these companies now or ever in the future but brand recognition is a major part of marketing and the very fact I know of these brands is a testament to the power of advertising. It's not all about the direct sale.

I run several sites, and yes, I do have ads.

What are these sites? Are they large sites with 3,000,000+ page views a day and 500mbit plus of bandwidth consumption a second? If they are, and you actually have some constructive help you can provide then I'll be all ears. If they're not, and you have never run, maintained and financed such sites, then it's apples and pears and irrelevant.

I find it amusing you use YouTube, owned by Google, and Facebook, who have just done a massive finance raising drive valuing the company at $50billion despite only bringing in $400million a year as your examples. Neither of these sites is yet to turn a profit and are no where close yet; they are funded on borrowed money. They are terrible examples. Hence your complaints about YouTube bringing in new ad formats is ironic ;)