Ad virus attempted again

lonewolfkai

Okay, I was just using the tracking center on Dragon Age Nexus, and there was another attempt to hijack me. I used the task manager to shut it down and just ran AVG to make sure. Just beware, folks. This thing presents itself as a Windows Security feature, but don't be fooled.

Ooh, I had this virus a while ago. It was called antivira AV and it would alter my registry so that it set up a proxy and prevented me from accessing any site other than theirs, plus once I restarted my pc it somehow prevented any exe from opening. It was nasty. I had found the file in my app data by searching my files for the most recently created, but it prevented itself from being deleted. So I looked it up on my iPod's internet and I found a way to remove it by entering safe mode and deleting it, removing it's additions to the registry, etc. I think the site said the bug originated from Nigeria.

But I doubt this is going to be much help for you, if you had the one I had, you wouldn't be able to access the nexus or any other site besides theirs.

Here is a good source on how to get rid of those hard to remove fake antivirus and fake computer scan viruses, along with any others.

For those worried about going to unknown websites, This is a known clean site. The procedure they recommend is constantly being updated as new threats appear.

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35407

I'm in the U.S, and to be perfectly honest, I don't know if it's coming through the adware or what. I know just enough about computers to be dangerous:D. Anyway, the one I've seen looks like a Windows Security program, however in just talking to my husband, apparently one tried to hijack him recently and it presented itself like an AVG program (he wasn't fooled, thank goodness) and wanted to run an exe program. Edited by FastBlackCat

Thank you, Bben46 and Dark One, for your responses. Bben46, from what I've been reading (and I want to make sure I'm understanding this correctly) is that one runs their regular internet security program (I've got AVG), and also when the need arises use the one from the site you listed below? Thanks again for your help!