How Hard can it be?

Saggaris

How hard can it be ....

My lad said to me earlier..."you should have to leave through the Oblivion gate to escape the realm!"

So how hard can it be to move the closing scene to the exit of the gate instead of the top of the tower?, you know... make the OB gates close by exiting the gate with the stone instead of when you pick it up!

anyone wanna help or even take up the challenge!

Saggaris

(Those of you that visit Canadian Ice's place may have seen this post on their forums...yes it's me there too) :biggrin:

Without the sigl stone in place the link between the two planes of oblivion is severed, this is also a trick that bethesda use frequently to prevent dungeoncrawlers from getting bored of trekking out of the dungeon and from less experienced one getting bored.

Yeah Jagermh I know... but modding is all about the choice of experience it offers and a change from the ever so normal 'crash-bang-thank-you-mam' that closing OB gates is fast becoming, I understand it was made like that to hurry it all up on the way out, but lets not forget that a number of players using mods 'us included' are playing for the 'umpteenth' time.

So Beth trick of not can it be moved to the exit?

I know also the Anim will (to do it properly) have to change or perhaps stop entirely allowing the PC to get to the door and find his/her way out, a more adventurous way might be to have the destruction follow the PC down the tower if they delay... so shouting "LEGGIT" really means something and not stopping for that 'extra' fight IS important.

So back to...Where can it all start to change :yes:

I'm not a good enough modder to begin to work on this... but I did want to drop by and say that if such a mod existed, I'd be all over it. I always thought it was a bit odd that you suddenly get transported back to Cyrodiil after picking up the sigil stone. I understand the concept; one the stone is removed from its place the link is broken. That makes sense. What doesn't make sense is that after breaking the link, you magically poof out. It seems that if you broke the link all you'd be doing is trapping yourself in Oblivion permanently.

It would make a lot more sense to me if you had to grab the stone and then run hell for leather back to the gate with the world disintegrating behind you, kinda like Sam and Frodo's exit from the mountain. Although I don't think that's possible with current modding capabilities, so I'd settle for just having to bring the stone back through the gate, removing it from Oblivion, in order to break the link.

I've had a pay with the scrips for the stones and extended the time set on them to find out if I could prolong the exit time to no avail so far :confused: ...could really do with a 'Scripter' for some advice here! Edited by Saggaris

I have made a couple of mods with custom Oblivion gates. (Oblivion Gate, Vampire Hunting - Order of the Virtuous Blood) Both times the scripting defeated me and I ended up crafting work-arounds. You would not believe how complex the interactions between that set of scripts, the activators, and all those parented objects is. It looks so simple, and Bethesda did such a masterful job of making it work. But try to put something like that into your mod and you will fail. (For the first few tries at least.) Granted, I am not a master scriptor. But I look at this mod idea and think: "Hard! Hard! Hard!"

(If someone did get it working, it would be fun to play though.)

EDIT:

One big problem is the randomness and reusability of Oblivion Gates. It would not be as hard of a task to apply scripting to one and only one unique non-vanilla Oblivion gate to delay the closing. (Especially if it was a one-time use gate and worldspace.) You could name the involved parts with unique reference IDs and make custom scripts and trigger boxes and activators and whatever you needed. But the act of making this script universal to apply to any and all possible Oblivion gates at all times sounds almost insurmountable.

Edited by David Brasher

(If someone did get it working, it would be fun to play though.)

The script could be modified to change a variable which also affects the OB gate when you go near/exit through it.

After that it would be a matter of continuing the original script.

Edited by Jagermh

Jagermh: It would be nice if it were as simple as the script to look through inventory for stone but I fear David is right with all the links, I had a look and many things are or seem to be working alongside and connected to each other, I tried to find the 'trigger' piont where the clock starts to demolish everything to try to extend it but got lost, I think I'm gonna have to get the 'big ol' GFA Basic book out for some hints.

But as you say if a stop sign could be put in place at the tower top and a trigger on the gate (is player in Tamriel...'yes' Boom, 'no' No boom or Return)....perhaps, though I fear 'Roll-Play' would have to feature highly until no way back scripts were placed on doors once exited with the stone, and there are a lot of doors!

So who knows where the timer trigger is?

One big problem is the randomness and reusability of Oblivion Gates
there may be the problem of pinning the trigger script to the correct gate, but Beth do use more than one gate per 'plane' if you follow, I don't know whether you know or not but often you can use the gate to 'random' fast travel to another location. meaning that these two gates are using the same map and spawns, though thinking about it they're probably the 'random' gates, :confused: I'm not sure if thats important on not now! Edited by Saggaris

I did quite a bit of research on gates when I was on my '60 gate marathon'. Here's a quote from one of the UESP Wiki articles:

The game will only have one Tamriel gate connected at a time to each of the nine possible gates on the Oblivion side. So if you already have gates open to a couple Random Oblivion Worlds (and have not yet retrieved their Sigil Stones and closed the gates), any new gate you open will not reconnect to one of the same places. If you keep opening gates and returning without closing the gates the game will eventually (after nine gates) be forced to recycle and will reset the previously opened gates (i.e., you lose any progress you made and will lose any equipment you left there).

Both worlds 5 and 6 have two entrances. If you find the other entrance, you could return to Tamriel through it as long as you have not yet reached the maximum number of opened gates at that point in the game. Typically the other entrance will randomly teleport you to a new location in Tamriel. It is possible to emerge at a gate that was not previously marked on your map. If, however, you have been entering oblivion worlds and not closing the gates, it is possible that the other gate is already connected to a specific location in Tamriel, i.e., to the location at which you previously entered this world. When you remove the sigil stone in one of these two-gate worlds, you will be returned to the site of whichever gate you most recently used, and only that one gate is closed. If you return to the other gate and re-enter it, you will be transported to a new random world instead.

Here's a couple of links you may find useful.

An interesting idea, although by the time I get to the top of the tower, everything is basically dead and looted, so I have very little reason to want to backtrack. I just assume a stone powerful enough to open a portal between realms would be powerful enough to transport a single mortal back to their own realm (granted, it's a little weird that the player would know how to control that power, but that's beside the point). Still, despite me having no need for this myself, I can see how it would be useful to a lot of people.