Get rid of negative endorsements

ZuluFoxtrot

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 little thumbs down really bugs you that much huh? What do you do when you walk down the street and someone gives you a dirty look?

They annoy me when they're for reasons that would have otherwise resulted in a strike or a ban for trolling/flaming, yes. I'm one of those weird people who still believes in the Rule of Law. I know, I'm old school or something.

As for people walking down the street giving me dirty looks, fortunately people don't generally behave like snot nosed brats in person for no reason. Mainly because around here it results in consequences far beyond getting banned from a forum.

I'm still waiting for you or someone who holds similar opinions to you to give me a valid reason for why "it doesn't fit my belief system" or "it doesn't meet my elitist quality standards" should be allowed as negative vote options.

Point is it shouldn't matter and you shouldn't get so worked up about it. I can tell from your reaction you tend to take things personally, but it's understandable if you come from a place where just giving someone a dirty look on the street results in "consequences far beyond getting banned from a forum". I think the majority of people though just learn to not get bothered by one little jpeg thumbs down symbol. I am suddenly reminded of kids getting a star or banana sticker for doing a good job on a project... :biggrin:

Ah, the old "grow a thicker skin" argument. I should have seen that one coming. Well, sorry, but that's just a poor translation of "shut up and deal with it, you're on the internet".

Giving people dirty looks is impolite, if you think that's a normal thing to do, I weep for your sense of decency.

Giving people ways to legally troll others is more or less like allowing kids to shoot spitballs in class as long as they do it with an approved straw.

Perhaps your chosen member title is more telling than you're letting on though and you're just playing devil's advocate for some reason. I sure hope that's it and not that you actually approve of the idea of letting people get away with legalized trolling.

I don't want to pull the 'well as a modder' card, but Fatalmasterpiece from your comment I think it is clear that you haven't released any mods yourself. There is a great difference between a person working on a mod that challenges you, stretches your patience, takes dozens to hundreds of hours of work to complete and a kid doing a school project.

Someone saying to you 1) I don't know how to install your mod so it sucks, 2) This mod sucks, or 3) This mod is pointless or shouldn't have been made is a slap in the face. Now in some cases they are justified because the mod may well be a half-hearted slapped together beginner effort that lacks professionalism. But in other cases when it is clear to you and more than a hundred others that the mod is good to have one person give a negative endorsement and not even explain why then it is like someone coming up and slapping you in the face.

They need to explain why it is bad. It is a totally different thing from why something is good. You explain why things are bad so they can be improved. You don't need to explain why something is good - they can just indicate they thought it was good and other people can download the mod and see if they agree with them.

I had a negative response to my mod, and wrote to the person who had responded in this fashion ( won't name them). Asked them why. Seems they'd ignored the explicit instructions in my description. It hadn't loaded properly. The result was a thumbs down.

To that person's credit, once the mod was up and running--which took literally a minute's time--they removed the thumb's down, and without any request later added a thumb's up. So that turned out well. But some people are just plain trolls, and there's really no way to tell the difference as the system stands. If the system is to be of any use, it has to be based on input that's verifiable and from a reliable source. Perhaps require that only modders can vote, or modders who have been members of TES Nexus for at least a given period of time? I'm thinking of ways, here, to boot out the trolls from the system. To make its responses a truer reflection of each mod.

Edited by Balakirev

People usually give my mods thumbs down because they didn't have the latest patch (Which I note in the description is needed). I'd be fine with thumbs down if it were, say, a problem I either refused to or couldn't fix, but the user not reading the manual isn't justified.

I don't want to pull the 'well as a modder' card, but Fatalmasterpiece from your comment I think it is clear that you haven't released any mods yourself. There is a great difference between a person working on a mod that challenges you, stretches your patience, takes dozens to hundreds of hours of work to complete and a kid doing a school project.

Someone saying to you 1) I don't know how to install your mod so it sucks, 2) This mod sucks, or 3) This mod is pointless or shouldn't have been made is a slap in the face. Now in some cases they are justified because the mod may well be a half-hearted slapped together beginner effort that lacks professionalism. But in other cases when it is clear to you and more than a hundred others that the mod is good to have one person give a negative endorsement and not even explain why then it is like someone coming up and slapping you in the face.

They need to explain why it is bad. It is a totally different thing from why something is good. You explain why things are bad so they can be improved. You don't need to explain why something is good - they can just indicate they thought it was good and other people can download the mod and see if they agree with them.

1. they don't say "it sucks" that is your own perception. They just say for whatever reason they do not like it.

2. I'm a professional illustrator/designer. I've worked many hours on projects and had people give them the "thumbs down" both from clients and just bystanders. Haven't slit my wrists from this yet.

3. As I said before, if they did explain they would just get flamed, and as Arthmoor stated, probably get reported for being a troll, just for voicing their opinion.

3. As I said before, if they did explain they would just get flamed, and as Arthmoor stated, probably get reported for being a troll, just for voicing their opinion.

There's a reason for why they'd get reported. The particular options being discussed are things the TOS specifically says not to comment about, yet they're being allowed to comment on it in a backhanded manner. The 2 cited reasons are in fact nothing more than "this mod sucks" options and have no place being in the system.

It's debatable whether the "I can't read" option should remain or not but I'm leaning against that one as well.

I'm assuming that in your line of work if all someone who thumbed you down said was that "it sucks" you'd be a bit annoyed with that, yes? You expect some sort of feedback on that don't you?

Edited by Arthmoor

If it really bothers you that much you have the option to choose to not allow endorsements. Then no one can give you a thumbsdown at all.

Never cared what anyone says about my work honestly, both in person or in interwebz land. I know it's good, that and a check from a satisfied client is all I need to tell me that. Someone can say it sucks to my face, had people tell me I'm cheesy after concerts, I just shrug, walk away and find a girl to buy a drink for. :thumbsup:

Well, think I've given at least 2 bucks worth of opinion so far, so that's enough outta me.