Mod load order

robx99

Basically I've followed every guide i could find, and I'm crashing to the desktop and freezing a lot (20 times in 5 minutes),

FALLOUT.ini edited, i tried disabling my system virtual memory (gave me a memory crash error after doing that), created a Merged Patch and finally created a Master Update. Nothing works.

PS: I've reinstalled the game and CTDs continue.

So, I've decided to come here and post my mod load order, and hope someone can point whether or not I'm doing something wrong.

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t189/robx_photo/F3LO1-1.jpg

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t189/robx_photo/F3LO2-1.jpg

Thanks in advance.

PC info:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 (overclocked to 3,2 GHz)

Memory: 2 GB RAM DDR2-800 KIngston

GPU: XFX ATI Radeon HD 5770 (GPU clock overclocked to 950 MHz, Memory clock overclocked to 1350 MHz)

Soundboard: Creative Audigy SE 24-bits (Not using Alchemy, as it was crashing the game constantly)

Game of the year edition (version 1.7.03), all DLCs installed.

If you need any more info, feel free to ask.

I noticed one prob right off: you are doubling up on at least 3 of your MMM esps, and prolly 4 of them. I know for sure that Natural Selection, Tougher Traders and Zones Respawn were all integrated into the FOIP master file patch, and I think the master menu was as well. Those mods should all be deactivated for sure. You really should get and install BOSS - it will be able to warn you of other incompatibilities in there better than any of us likely can.

So to start I would deactivate those extraneous MMM esps (edit: items 42 thru 45 in your posted load order). Then run BOSS to double check the load order (which looks good to me, btw) and to advise you of any other incompatibilities. Then make your new merge patch and give it a go.

As to your box, 2GB of ram is really pretty marginal for a Vista/Win7 machine. Strongly advise you to go to at least 4GB if you are running either of those OS's.

Edit: did you install FWE's DarnUI fix? It isn't related to your prob here, but if you don't have it then you will certainly miss it once we get you get back in operation. It is needed to enable proper functioning FWE's off hand grenade feature, IIRC.

Edited by proconsu1

I noticed one prob right off: you are doubling up on at least 3 of your MMM esps, and prolly 4 of them. I know for sure that Natural Selection, Tougher Traders and Zones Respawn were all integrated into the FOIP master file patch, and I think the master menu was as well. Those mods should all be deactivated for sure. You really should get and install BOSS - it will be able to warn you of other incompatibilities in there better than any of us likely can.

So to start I would deactivate those extraneous MMM esps. Then run BOSS to double check the load order (which looks good to me, btw) and to advise you of any other incompatibilities. Then make your new merge patch and give it a go.

Alright, I'll try that.

As to your box, 2GB of ram is really pretty marginal for a Vista/Win7 machine. Strongly advise you to go to at least 4GB if you are running either of those OS's.

W7 Ultimate 32-bits SP1.

But before you judge me, I must warn you that I'm not a common end user.

I run both a Linux Debian and a W7 on this PC. W7 only for games.

I've disabled everything running in the background, including some services. On idle with W7 only, i get a memory usage of 290-400MB (max of 30-100 MB above my previous Windows XP).

All games that i have (some newer and more demanding than FO3), i've been running on max with no problem at all (not counting memory leaks, but that's another matter and i have a third party software to deal with it).

FO3 has been using from 62 to 82% of my total physical memory (counting the memory used by the system).

Don't worry though, I'll be buying 2x1 DDR2-1066 sticks next month.

Edit: did you install FWE's DarnUI fix? It isn't related to your prob here, but if you don't have it then you will certainly miss it once we get you get back in operation. It is needed to enable proper functioning FWE's off hand grenade feature, IIRC.

Yes, but the only thing I'll miss if i don't install the fix is the grenade icon (grenade launch function still works, but you must guess what kinda of grenade you've selected).

EDIT:

I did what you said and installed BOSS.

BOSS found the same 3 unnecessary esps (menu was not flagged as a duplicate) and reorganized the MMM load order a bit.

I disabled the menu module to test whether or not it was installed with FWE. Without the esp and starting a new game, the item (MMM config menu) was still under the armor tab, so i just removed MMM Master Menu Module from my load list.

I tested a bit and i haven't noticed any CTDs. However, the game continues to freeze constantly (no, my CPU/GPU is not overheating), leaving me with the only option to force kill fallout3.exe via the task manager.

Edited by robx99

Gonna recap here, inserting a couple of assumptions. Correct me if I miss anything or assume something that didn't happen that way.

You ran BOSS and it flagged the 3 conflicts I was sure of but not the one I wasn't sure of. You killed those three, and just for good measure you tried killing the fourth anyway. BOSS also reordered your mods in a minor way, so you went with that and then rebuilt a new merged patch. Testing with the new config and new merged patch you have so far found that the CTDs are gone but the game freezes are still happening. So we appear to have definitely fixed one problem, but only improved your situation half way. That about cover it?

Assuming that is all correct, I have a few more questions and a coupla ideas. First the questions:

1. Is there any common thread to where or when you freeze up? Is it only indoors or only outdoors? Only when in populated areas? Only when sound effects or graphic scenes are triggered? Only when loading recent saves but not older saves....etc...? Will it still freeze if you have nothing in your inventory? The reasoning here is to see if the symptoms might suggest a culprit, e.g. if it only freezes outdoors then Enhanced Weather jumps to the top of the suspect list.

2. What is the average interval after loading before it freezes, and how variable is it? If the interval is consistently really short then we are prolly looking at a major scripting conflict, likely from mods conflicting with each other due to faulty installation or inherent incompatibility (the former more likely). If the interval is consistently longer then it is more likely a single mod that is just not stable. And if the interval varies wildly, short one time and then long the next, then there is prolly a trigger condition setting it off that just hasn't been recognized yet.

3. During the times when the game is not frozen, do you notice any other misbehavior, e.g. features not working as expected, odd sounds or graphic glitches, slow response to controls? ....etc...? This could also point us toward more likely suspects, if there is any such stuff going on.

Now the ideas of things I would try out if I were in your shoes:

1. I would try creating a new character, and do NOT use the FWE alternate start option; just play out the growing up stuff in the vault. The idea is to see if the thing will run stable in the initial vault sequence and then only go agley after you exit to the world, which is the point when the DLCs and the majority of the mods start running their scripts and doing their biz. If it is agley from the word 'go', then either the entire installation is corrupted due to faulty mod installation, or the offending mod is one of those few that actually has significant effects running during the intro vault sequence (like PB and DarnUI). In any case this is something you can do in about 10 minutes, and it involves no fussing about, so I'd recommend trying it first.

2. I would try disabling most of the mods that are NOT part of the FOIP. That would be everything except FWE, EVE, MMM, and WMK. You may as well leave DarnUI alone, since it is a very known quantity. PB is also not worth disabling, since most of what it does it does during the install (replacing meshes and textures), so disabling it without uninstalling it would be kinda useless. Also, if PB were misbehaving it would prolly be a lot more visually obvious. Basically the idea is to disable all those elements that we are not 100% sure are interoperable (plus PB which tends to fail more visually or not at all). If the freezes suddenly go away, then we have narrowed down the suspect to list to just those few more minor mods or the not so minor weather mod. Then its just a matter of reenabling them one by one until the problem comes back. Or if it still fails, then flip flop, disabling all the FOIP stuff and reenabling the other stuff you disabled before. You see the method here, I'm sure. But there is really not much point to reenabling the individual FOIP-compliant mods one by one, cuz they are no longer set up for that kinda independent operation ever since you merged them and installed the FOIP mods to make them work together.

3. Wipe the entire FO3 install out and start over, and this time use a fully consistent, methodical FOMOD-only installation plan. This means making a separate FOMOD file each and every archive file of each and every mod, e.g. EVE would have 4 FOMODS to it and FWE would have 3, and so on. You would want to use a naming scheme for those FOMOD files so that it would be easy to know what order they need to be activated in later. Then once all FOMODS are made, you install them with a top down mod-centered approach based on your load order - i.e. the mod with an esm or esp at the top of the load order would be installed first, and all of it component FOMODS would be installed all at once at that time. Then the next mod that had a file appear in the load order would be installed in its entirety, and so. When all mods are installed, then install FOIP itself. Then run BOSS, make a merged patch, and get back in the saddle.

That last option is, I fear, the one that will most likely prove necessary in the end. All that other stuff before is just wild ideas I had to try to find a way to avoid having to resort to option 3. My gut tells me that's the only real fix, though. I know from personal experience that install order is even more crucial than load order, particularly with mods like EVE and FWE that have multiple archives for a single installation. (EVE has patches for its patches, for Pete's sake!) Running more than two FOIP mods simultaneously just makes install order that much more critical. And bad install order is the one thing that can only be fixed by going to back to square one and installing it all again from scratch. But this time, since every single mod component will have been installed from FOMODs, FOMM will at least be able to revert back to a vanilla install to let you try different install orders without having to reinstall FO3 each time. That is why it is crucial that every single mod archive file be made into a separate FOMOD before a single thing is actually installed or activated. If even one mod is installed manually or by a self-installer, then that mod cannot be uninstalled by FOMM to clean up and try a different install order. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think any of your mods there are self-installer-only types, so this should work for you.

Sorry for writing a frelling novel here, but your issue has really got me going here. You are that rare bird who appears to have done everything carefully and yet still gotten hosed. Been there. :wallbash:

Edited by proconsu1

Thanks for the attention, i really mean it.

So let's see.

You ran BOSS and it flagged the 3 conflicts I was sure of but not the one I wasn't sure of. You killed those three, and just for good measure you tried killing the fourth anyway. BOSS also reordered your mods in a minor way, so you went with that and then rebuilt a new merged patch. Testing with the new config and new merged patch you have so far found that the CTDs are gone but the game freezes are still happening. So we appear to have definitely fixed one problem, but only improved your situation half way. That about cover it?

Yes, i also did the Master Update, running FO3MasterUpdate.exe after creating the merged patch.

1) I've noticed this to happen when loading some areas (Happens a lot when returning to Megaton. I don't have any Megaton specific mod though). My FPS tends to drop too (FPS locked at 30 with Slutter Remover), and when i check my GPU usage, it's around 60-80% but never 100%. Making this problem seems like a script/in-game compatibility problem.

I believe i only freeze in-doors when using the quickload function constantly, but from what i read it's a common problem when not using Master Update (I wasn't using it when last i noticed a freeze generated by quickload).

I was also suspecting Enhanced Weather for causing these FPS drops and freezes (at least part of it), I'll try without it.

I was having that infamous radio sluttering problem, ALchemy fixed it, but like i said before, it was freezing my game (generally after VATS). ffdshow already had fallout3.exe in its exception list,

The only thing that fixed it, was installing the MADFilter.

The radio runs okay now. However, whenever i press ESC or the game starts loading a new region, the radio slutters for a second or so. It's a normal thing though, as my CPU is under a 100% usage stress, and does not have a higher priority to run the mp3.

2) All i can say is, it's random. Sometimes it happens shortly after i start exploring, sometimes it happens hours after exploring.

3) Besides the bad FPS, hmm, it tends to make VATS freezes constantly.

For example, i press the VATS button, and it freezes for 1-2 seconds before zooming to the target, sometimes i can't even hear the VATS click sounds.

Once i press the use button, it has a very high chance of constantly freezing (slides style) during the VATS cinematic.

1) Not necessary, i had the same mods installed when i was playing through Vault 101, and i don't believe i experienced one single crash or freeze.

To be honest, i don't believe i experienced this until after i had over 10 hours of gameplay saved. It was playing very smoothly.

Funny enough, i had the radioactive rain installed, so i remained indoors and used the wait function. Since it was too boring and a waste of time, i decided to remove the plugin and to be honest i believe most, if not all of these problems, started from there.

2) Alright, I'll try that starting by removing the Enhanced Weather. If the problem persists I'll disable all non FOIP mods.

3) All my mods were installed as a FOMOD package (creating from a .zip, .rar, .7z or already download as a .fomod);

There are some exceptions which FOMOD couldn't create the package, like PB and Re-Animated, so i installed those manually. Same for FOIP, as i wanted to replace the esps manually.

The installation order is correct i believe. I installed the unofficial patch first, then FWE, after that i installed those mods who would replace FWE files, MMM, EVE, WMK.

From there, all my mods don't replace anything installed by other mods, so i just installed them in any order, with PB as the last.

The only self-installed is the Unofficial Patch.

Thanks again for all the help you've been providing me.

Edited by robx99

3) All my mods were installed as a FOMOD package (creating from a .zip, .rar, .7z or already download as a .fomod);

There are some exceptions which FOMOD couldn't create the package, like PB and Re-Animated, so i installed those manually. Same for FOIP, as i wanted to replace the esps manually.

You seem like a well organized dude, so that should be fine. For myself I convert even single replacement esp's into FOMODS just to keep the system methodical, cuz I don't trust myself to remember whether I installed a particular fix file or not later on. If it is in my FOMOD directory in FOMM, then I know I did; if not, not. Also, with FOMODS of such files the cleanup is much easier and less likely to screw up. Example: you have a mod and you have a patch for it consisting of a replacement esp file for that mod. If you make a FOMOD of the mod but then manually install the replacement esp, then FOMOD doesn't know how to revert back to the original version of the mod - meaning you must remember to uninstall then reinstall that mod in order to revert. But if you made a FOMOD of that single replacement esp, then if you later needed to revert you could simply tell to FOMM to uninstall that one FOMOD and FOMM would know how to handle it and clean up after itself.

On a side note: masterupdate - this can sometimes cause problems rather than fix them, especially with multiple overhaul mods like FWE and MMM. You might consider running the masterrestore function, then recreate your merged patch and see if it makes any difference.

Thanks again for all the help you've been providing me.

No prob at all.

• 3 weeks later...

I couldn't find you on Steam, so here it goes.

I tried what you said about MasterUpdate, restoring the esps back to its former flag. No luck.

Enhanced Weather's rain was problematic, dropping my FPS severely even without using my GPU's full capabilities.

So, I installed Xepha's Dynamic Weather, uninstalled Enhanced Weather, and disabled both Rain and Sandstorm since the latter was also causing some slowdowns in some areas.

Crashes and freezes were still around, but the FPS was okay. However, after a while, every time i tried to cross a path in the Wasteland my game would crash, same area, same problem.

I saved my ini and my saves, uninstalled everything, cleaned the registry, and reinstalled the game as an administrator.

Reinstalled all the mods in the following order:

(Unofficial Patch was left behind, because from reading the comments, it seems it causes more problems than it solves.)

FOSE (X)
FO3Edit [ FO3Edit.exe, FO3MasterUpdate.exe, FO3MasterRestore.exe ] (X)
FSR (X)
FWE [ FWE Master Release 6-0 - Part 1, FWE Master Release 6-0 - Part 2, FWE 6-03a HOTFIX PATCH ] (X)
EVE [ EVE 097 Beta main, EVE - Operation Anchorage, Newest update, Updated Mesh ] (X)
WMK [ Weapon Mod Kits, WMK Operation Anchorage Compatibility Patch, WMK The Pitt Compatibility Patch, WMK Broken Steel Compatibility Patch, WMK Point Lookout Compatibility Patch, WMK Mothership Zeta Compatibility Patch, WMK AA-12 Combat Shotgun replacer ] (X)
Mart's Mutant Mod [ Marts Mutant Mod 1-RC61 FOMOD Ready ] (X)
DarnUI [ dui_f3a11, DarnUI Support for FWE 6-02 ] (X)
Agatha [ Agatha Radio Enhanced - Part 1, Agatha Radio Enhanced - Part 2 ] (X)
GNR [ GNR - More Where That Came From - Esp and Ad Files, Track Pack 1, Track Pack 2, Track Pack 3, Track Pack 4, Track Pack 5 ] (X)
Regulators [ RegulatorsV12 ] (X)
Black Wolf [ BlackWolf Backpack 1dot0a, 70WG Model Bug Fix 1dot0a nif ] (X)
MTC [ MTCWastelandTravellers 2_2 ] (X)
Project Beauty [ HD Version- Recommended version, ESP for Project Beauty, Hair textures by GabbyStardust V2, Compatibility ] (X)
Dynamic Weather [ Dynamic Weather - Main, Dynamic Weather - DLC, Dynamic Weather - Night Eye Edition, Dynamic Weather - Dynamic Sneak Bonus ] (X)
Re-Animated [ Release v0_22, Idle Revisions2 - Fixed ] (X)
Modern Pistol [ Modern Pistol Shooting Animation Replacer ] (X)
FOIP EVE - FWE (X)
FOIP WMK - FWE (X)
FOIP MMM - FWE (X)
FOIP PB - FWE (X)

(X) = Completely Installed

I checked my save, and it was still crashing in the same area. At this point I was crying in pain and cursing Bethesda.

After hammer fisting my keyboard and hitting my head against a wall for a while, i decided to debug the whole thing.

I disabled everything, but FWE, EVE and WMK, loaded the save and it wasn't crashing in that area. Then, i loaded MMM and the crash returned.

I tried everything, even disabling all mods and leaving MMM (without the FOIP esps) loaded alone with the DLCs esps. No luck.

I tried something else as my last resource before giving up the game. I enabled everything but MMM, loaded my save, created another save, and then re-enabled MMM.

Finally, it worked. MMM menu configuration was reseted, and since i didn't need to wait for a world cell restart i assume it was just a conflict with FWE built-in MMM menu and/or the optional esps, which wasn't properly removed when i removed the esps from the load list.

So far, I had only one CTD, which was caused by unlocking a cabinet indoors (small house), with no NPC around; The crash wasn't consistent, so I'm assuming it's one of the common Fallout 3 crashes.

Plus I'm running FSR (Fallout Slutter Remover) with Dynamic Hashtables Resizing. The author himself warned about the possibilities of instabilities and crashes.

I also defragmented my disk again, only 2% was fragmented, but i decided to defrag it again after installing the game and all mods, just in case.

Here is my current load list/order:

Fallout3.esm
Anchorage.esm
ThePitt.esm
BrokenSteel.esm
PointLookout.esm
Zeta.esm
CRAFT.esm
CALIBR.esm
Project Beauty.esm
FO3 Wanderers Edition - Main File.esm
EVE.esm
Mart's Mutant Mod.esm
Xepha's Dynamic Weather.esm
DarNifiedUIF3.esp
Project Beauty- Broken Steel.esp
Project Beauty- Point Lookout.esp
Agatha Radio Enhanced.esp
GalaxyNewsRadio100[M].esp
Regulators.esp
BlackWolf Backpack.esp
BlackWolf Backpack - Vanilla Big Guns Fix.esp
BlackWolf Backpack - Anchorage Gauss Rifle Fix.esp
BlackWolf Backpack - Zeta Drone Cannon Fix.esp
MTC Wasteland Travellers.esp
MTC Wasteland Travellers (Optional)- Crowded Cities.esp
FO3 Wanderers Edition - Main File.esp
FO3 Wanderers Edition - DLC Anchorage.esp
FO3 Wanderers Edition - DLC The Pitt.esp
FO3 Wanderers Edition - DLC Broken Steel.esp
FO3 Wanderers Edition - DLC Point Lookout.esp
FO3 Wanderers Edition - DLC Mothership Zeta.esp
FO3 Wanderers Edition - Followers Enhanced (BrokenSteel).esp
FO3 Wanderers Edition - Alternate Travel.esp
FO3 Wanderers Edition - Project Beauty.esp
FO3 Wanderers Edition - Project Beauty (Followers Enhanced).esp
WeaponModKits.esp
WeaponModKits - FWE Master Release.esp
WeaponModKits - OperationAnchorage.esp
WeaponModKits - ThePitt.esp
WeaponModKits - BrokenSteel.esp
WeaponModKits - PointLookout.esp
WeaponModKits - Zeta.esp
WMKAA12Shotgun.esp
EVE.esp
EVE Operation Anchorage.esp
EVE - FWE Master Release.esp
EVE - FWE Master Release (Follower Enhanced).esp
EVE Anchorage - FWE DLC Anchorage.esp
EVE - FWE with WeaponModKits.esp
Mart's Mutant Mod.esp
Mart's Mutant Mod - DLC Anchorage.esp
Mart's Mutant Mod - DLC The Pitt.esp
Mart's Mutant Mod - DLC Broken Steel.esp
Mart's Mutant Mod - DLC Point Lookout.esp
Mart's Mutant Mod - DLC Zeta.esp
Mart's Mutant Mod - Project Beauty.esp
Mart's Mutant Mod - FWE Master Release.esp
Mart's Mutant Mod - FWE Master Release + DLCs.esp
Mart's Mutant Mod - FWE Master Release + Project Beauty.esp
Mart's Mutant Mod - Project Beauty + FWE.esp
Xepha's Dynamic Weather - Main.esp
Xepha's Dynamic Weather - Anchorage.esp
Xepha's Dynamic Weather - The Pitt.esp
Xepha's Dynamic Weather - Broken Steel.esp
Xepha's Dynamic Weather - Point Lookout.esp
Xepha's Dynamic Weather - Night Eye Edition.esp
Xepha's Dynamic Weather - Anchorage (NEE).esp
Xepha's Dynamic Weather - Dynamic Sneak Bonus.esp
Merged Patch.esp

Total active plugins: 69
Total plugins: 69

Do you have any more suggestions?

Bear in mind that I'm not using a 100% BOSS load order, since BOSS wasn't giving a very accurate list.

For example, BOSS places this "Mart's Mutant Mod - Project Beauty + FWE.esp", before the Master Release, in which the README states to load AFTER.

Also BOSS places EVE.esm before the FWE.esm, which was causing some crashes when loading saved games.

Edited by robx99

Odd. I load EVE.esm before FWE also, but for me it was actually a fix to a problem. When I ran with FWE loading first it seemed to cause problems when certain energy weapons were in use by me or any NPCs. But when I deferred to BOSS and let EVE load first the problems went away and have not recurred.

Last suggestion I have is the one that will take you fully over to the dark side: dump FO3edit completely and switch to using Wrye Flash to make your merged patch. :ninja: Just let me know if you need help getting started down that path.... :devil:

When i disabled all my mods but FWE, WMK and EVE, i was getting a crash every single time i loaded a save with EVE.esm loading before FWE.esm.

I changed it to load after FWE and the crash disappeared.

Strangely enough, i had EVE.esm load before FWE.esm for a long time without this happening.

Could you tell me what kinda of problem you were running into?

Excuse my ignorance, but what's the difference between FO3Edit and Wrye Flash?

By the way, I'm thinking about adding DC Interiors and Ambient Wasteland 2.

I know AW2 won't conflict with anything, but what about DC Interiors, will it work without any problems with my current mods?

Edited by robx99

Well, I never did get into WMK, so that is one big difference between my situation and yours. As for the problems, sometimes it was CTDs and sometimes it was freezes, but the common thread always seemed to be the initiation of combat where someone was using a laser weapon. Plasma weps didn't trigger it, nor did laser-equipped robots, but laser pistols and rifles did every time until I reversed FWE's and EVE's esms in the load order. The only reason I even figured it out at all was because I took a laser-focused character in order to put EVE through its paces and see some of the new death scenes it added. If I had been playing a slug-thrower I would prolly never have figured it out. But alas, that appears not to be at all like your situation...

As for Wrye and FO3edit, it's kinda like the difference between Linux and Windows. Wrye is very powerful, very configurable and has a bit of a learning curve, and so it is therefore not for the computer illiterate, the easily intimidated or the casual user who doesn't wanna get that deep into things. FO3edit is far less powerful but very streamlined, highly automated; it does a few basic but important things in a more generalized, one-size-fits-all kinda way, but it does them with little to no input from the user, which makes it ideal for the casual user or the less technically adept. Wrye also has a very powerful installer, like FOMMs but again less automated and more user-configurable. I swear by Wrye, but if you look back through the other threads in which I have given advice, you will find many in which I strongly endorse FO3edit and others in which I tout Wrye instead. It is all based on my perception of the person I am trying to help, i.e. whether I think they have the skills, grit and interest in tackling Wrye's steeper learning curve.

Last, recommendations: the only mods you don't use but which I highly recommend are DarnifiedUI and Fellout, in that order. Darnified is, to me, an absolute requirement, i.e. I won't even consider playing without it. Fellout I like because it fixes what has always been my biggest complaint with FO3, namely that sick greenish tint to all the global lighting. Vanilla FO3 appears to have been lit according to someone's impressions of what the world would look like 10 years after a nuclear war, not 200 years after it - Fellout fixes that.