A big "Hello" to the Community

TheTokenGeek

In response to post #27213569. #27222979, #27228419, #27233599 are all replies on the same post.

Brigand231 wrote: Welcome Paul, it's exciting to have fresh blood at the helm.

If you don't mind a personal question, do you do anything else professionally? Mainly what I'm asking is is this your only "job" or do you wear other hats elsewhere?

Also, I hope that when you're looking at all your metrics and seeing what people do, it's with the idea that we do what we do, perhaps, because it is the only road open to us. 100% of users might do something consistently, but it might be because there is no alternative or the way things have developed have sort of corralled us into doing things that way.

For example, if you examine how people access forums or threads now and make decisions based upon it, it might be horrendously inaccurate as the recent change to the forums structure has left many of us struggling to keep afloat, let alone get back to any semblance of where we used to be.

Thanks for being here and committing to making this place the best it can be!
NeoNord wrote: Brigand231, EXCELLENT POINT! I have little expertise in site design but I have seen enough to know that the design dictates what people do and how they do it. People are very adaptable and computers are not yet very adaptable. I personally don't think a lot needs to be done but primarily because I have been here long enough to figure a lot of it out by trial and error. So first question should be for whom are you making it better. The answer to that question is important. If it is for current users then you have taken the correct first step in polling them to find out except for Brigand' caveat. Once we have adapted to a particular system changing the system (even if it is for the better) introduces a "hassle factor" . I think a tutorial on how to best use all the site has to offer would have been appreciated when I first joined. Significant changes should be accompanied by a tutorial that says "you used to do it this way, now you do it this way" and " this is something you couldn't do before now you do it like this".
Brigand231 wrote: It's almost ironic that you mention that. When most folks were not familiar with embedded images I wrote up some tutorials on embedding using flickr and MediaFire as hosts; sure enough, flickr would go on to introduce updates that prompted me to create an updated tutorial as things were moved to different places.
BlindJudge wrote: Hey Brigand231, thanks for the welcome.

I am now working for NexusMods full time, it's going to be hard work - Robin has been staying with me this week while we discuss the site, plan ahead and work out timelines. 2am finishes have been the norm and we're definitely committed to finding out what is best for the site from a community perspective.

As mentioned before, feel free to drop me a PM if you think of anything in particular. I'm getting quite a lot already, but will read through everything I get and respond when I get 2 minutes :)

Thanks for taking the time to respond to everyone; you've already put forward a confident face and the personal touch on top of it is almost unheard of in forums these days. I'll definitely drop you a line if anything specific comes to mind that hasn't already been mentioned.

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #27206824. #27207439 is also a reply to the same post.

Nimboss wrote:

Hi Paul!

Did the survey, just wish there would have been more characters allowed for some questions, I presume you did not counted on that there could be more than Dark0ne to be very verbal did you? :laugh:

Dark0ne wrote: Hmm, I've taken a look (Paul has head out early today!) and there's no way of allowing more characters in the responses, so I guess it's a hard limit in the app we're using. Annoying!!

We'll give you plenty of chances to write us some essays I'm sure :)

If you've run out of space Nimbos then feel free to drop me a PM, I'm going to read through everything over the next few days. So should hopefully get a good understanding of the general consensus by next week!