PS3 possibly out of stock in europe

Pronam

article source

"LG has accused Sony of using its Blu-ray technology to allow the PS3 to play Blu-ray discs and has won a preliminary Europe-wide injunction at a civil court in the Hague."

"The import ban is set to last ten days but, if extended, could see the product disappearing from shop shelves."

I doubt they'll get it passed those 10 days again, but still it's quite odd. If they'd done this in november last year it'd have killed quite a few sales for the holiday break.

Sony is good at prosecuting anyone for violations of DRM but well known for violating other laws. Remember they were sued for intentionally putting a rootkit on DVDs a couple of years ago. And right now they are getting police in both US & Germany to confiscate the computers and having them turned over to Sony, of anyone they can find that has been accused (by Sony) of distributing the software hack to play any 'unauthorized' content on a PS3.

That would bee too much effort on Sony's part.

Remember, they'd have to re-disk ALL the games out, and then what? Will every PS3 need to have their drives disabled?

I wasn't being serious. :tongue:

Sony is good at prosecuting anyone for violations of DRM but well known for violating other laws. Remember they were sued for intentionally putting a rootkit on DVDs a couple of years ago. And right now they are getting police in both US & Germany to confiscate the computers and having them turned over to Sony, of anyone they can find that has been accused (by Sony) of distributing the software hack to play any 'unauthorized' content on a PS3.

If I was a Sony stockholder I'd be asking serious questions about the management of the company, they seem to move from one disaster to the next. This isn't the first time they've done this, the PS3 was released with controllers that had no rumble because they were in dispute with the company that owns the patent. Microsoft settled quickly by taking a stake in the company, Sony fought the lost cause all the way to the top and it cost them a fortune when they did lose. They're going out their way to destroy their reputation with Joe Public, not content with putting rootkits onto music CDs and infesting peoples PCs with Securom, now they're attacking their own customers over jail breaking, something that is perfectly legal as Apple found out to their cost. It's not only those who hacked the thing they're going after, they want the names of those who only discussed it on Youtube and Twitter. They can't even claim their master key is a trade secret because one of their own idiot executives tweeted the thing.

The botched pre release hype (enemy crab anyone?), the ludicrous release price point, the lack of any exclusives in the early few years, removal of the other OS, phoning home with details of films and music played, disabling third party peripherals, sinister additions to the T&Cs that give them access to your photos, updates that brick the machine and now this. The PS3 is cursed.

Sony will settle with LG for a certain amount and this will be over in a week.

and I bet that agreement involves Sony dropping its action against LG over cellphones in the U.S.

Sony will settle with LG for a certain amount and this will be over in a week.

and I bet that agreement involves Sony dropping its action against LG over cellphones in the U.S.

Oh,he went there.

xD