Missing Mesh; Have the Ref IDs for them!

I have been getting in game missing mesh notices thanks to the "WTF I'm A Missing Mesh" mod (I forget where I got it or if it is part of OBMM or whatever)

However, the meshes that are allegedly missing confuse me. Only when I fast travel and sometimes between exterior cells (such as the Imperial City), I get the missing mesh floating behind me.

I'm going to assume the meshes are all player meshes, but I can't understand why they would be missing.

Luckily, I know the reference IDs, but the issue is I know not how to trace a reference back to what it belongs to , so that I could possibly patch up or replace the missing mesh.

So far, these are the IDs:

1b008460 (Most frequent mesh missing)

I'm not certain it is an install issue either, as I just did a re-install near the end of last week. Running OBMM, unofficial patches (the latest from what I've found and not from other people outside that project), and I had the issues before and during activation of the UL Compilation OMOD. I'm not sure it could have anything to do with what I did install for body mods, as all I did install so far (as far as PC body changes) is Maximum Compatibility Skeletons and Woman's Move (Natural), but the later is inactive, and I do not recall having the skeleton installed the last time I had this issue. The strange thing is it only happens every so often. I'm not sure why.

I could suspect clothing, but so far I have yet to see it really matter because it is not consistent enough to my changes back and forth with various clothes. Not feeling that to be the source.

Oh, and I'm playing a male character when I get these missing meshes popping up. I've yet to see if it happens to female PCs as well.

Anyway, if anybody can help me out, so much as to at least point me in the direction to how to go about tracking a ref... much appreciated! :thumbsup:

PS - I did search a few pages looking for someone who had a matching situation and may have posted before me, but the only answer commonly given was to re-install yet again. I'd rather just fix the issue directly, not just spit in the wind and hope the issue goes away on another re-install.

Edited by ChaosApostle

As far as I know the reference IDs for vanilla Oblivion start with 00 so I think you're looking at something a mod's added. I believe the first two digits will correspond to the mod that adds them according to your load order. The refIDs are in hexadecimal so a little conversion is required. 1b would be the 12th mod in your load order, 22 should be 19th (I think) and 01 1st.

Edit: A little rethinking ... those numbers should be shifted by 1, forgot to start at zero.

Edited by Striker879

1-25 are all the add-on DLCs and unofficial patches... but now that I look my load order isn't to snuff. I just went by what OBMM set up, and had ensured patches would load after what they patch, SI after OB, Knights before DLCs, and everything after that in a seemingly sensible order.

It is possible that caused a conflict. Going with this order:

Oblivion

Patch

Citadel Door Fix

Vampire Aging and Face Fix

Better Rainbows

Darker Nights

Shivering Isles

Patch

SI Door Usable (Fixes closed door issue)

Horse Armor

Patch

Orrery

Patch

Frostcrag

Patch

ThievesDen

Patch

SigilStoneSoundPatch

MehrunesRazor

Patch

VileLair

Patch

SpellTomes

Patch

Knights

Patch

ICvisuals (replaces IC architecture textures, fixing an issue I had with LOD last week)

Cava Obscura - Cyrodil

Cava Obscura - SI

Real Lava 1.3

Louder Nirnroot Sound

Book Jackets DLC

GrimbotsSpellTomes

Diverse Effect Icons

HVH_LifeDetect

Improved Signs (replaces the direction signs)

MagesGuildSkillRewards (raises lvl of each skill the particular guild majors in by 1 lvl when recommendation quest completes)

HouseMapMarkersOnlyBought

CM_Better Wine

Cyrodilic Brandy

RustyItems

FineItems

upperGothicClutter

LeviathanSoulGems

- my fix for LSG, so they don't fall out of the display cases in Bruma Mage's Guild -

Dark Green Glass Armor

Womans Move (inactive)

IWR-Windows (Illumination Within Revived)

IWR-Lights

IWR-Shutters (this order for the three are right out of the read-me file)

RealisticFlora

RealisticFlora - DLCFrostcrag

RealisticFlora - DLCVileLair

Flamboyant Hat_SI

Furniture Repriced

Tegeals Extra Robes

vermilionandilverthorn (adds robes to shop)

Devil's Tongue (weapon)

- mine, inactive

- mine, inactive

- mine, armor and clothing test chests, inactive

- mine, arrow weight fix (0.24 lbs is the average weight on Midievil arrows, so put them all between 0.25 to 0.5 weight)

- mine, gem weight/price mod

- mine, Aylied items weights mod (large gems are not that light, so I tipped the weights a little)

- mine, sigil stone weight mod (I made them 6 lbs... consider them to be ultra-dense material floating on those fire pillars)

- mine, misc item and clutter weights

- mine, key weights (ensuring they weight nothing, outside of the 3-5 that need to)

- mine, bone weights (lowers weights of bones)

- mine, robe weights and prices (was vital to me, hoods weight 0.5, robes 2-4 depending on what they cover, except the order robes)

- mine, ingredient weights (adjusting some weights of ingredients)

- mine, repair hammer weight (3 lbs is the actual realistic weight average on Midievil smithing hammers)

- mine, inactive (house mod that conflicts with UL Compilation installed... they stole my spot...)

- 26 UL Mods (OMOD Compilation)

- mine, patching an exterior conflict with Fort Empire (made it so you can't get stuck behind the stairs on the left)

- mine, patching an exterior conflict with Fort Homestead (made so you can get at the stuff hidden behind the stairs; moved the objects)

my other active OMODs are Color Map and SpiderDaedraReplacer, because I've yet to install HGEC to run Corean and get me some Chocolate Elves.

I think I'll just remove the skeletons for now aside from the load order fix and see what happens, which should correct path problems I hope.

It only happens when I'm standing there after being loaded to a spot/area, and currently that is striking me more and more as the likely culprit (the skeletons). It was the only thing that added new directories in the meshes/characters directories aside from Woman's Move.

Thanks so far, I'll report back on how this goes.

Edited by ChaosApostle

Forget using OBMM for your load order. Use BOSS and a Bashed Patch, and also post load lists via Wrye Bash, as it gives much more detail about active, inactive, disabled mods, versions etc.

Also, IWR is outdated and bug ridden. You should use an alternative like AWLS.

Fixing the load order and removing the skeletons... so far I haven't seen a mesh issue pop up again. I guess that fixed the paths that were mentioned as being the likely issue.

Forget using OBMM for your load order. Use BOSS and a Bashed Patch, and also post load lists via Wrye Bash, as it gives much more detail about active, inactive, disabled mods, versions etc.

Also, IWR is outdated and bug ridden. You should use an alternative like AWLS.

I decided to test out BOSS. I had heard the name when I was drifting around here. I'm slightly confused with your wording on it though, because all it seems to be doing is giving me conflict notices regarding its database of 10,000+ mods and conflicts. I'm still using OBMM to manage my lists, which I like and am familiar with.

It told me oc_darkernights is incompatible with any weather mod (not sure if that nixes the rainbows), RealisticFlora is outdated (Harvest Flora is apparently the new standard), and to check my UOP for DLCThievesDen (outdated by 2 updates). :huh:

Nifty little program, so thanks!

I looked into AWLS, and it states in the description that IWR is the prettier method, and nothing about IWR being buggy, just that AWLS goes a step further to ensure even added houses have lighting without need for a patch. I'll consider testing it out, as I've been meaning to give OBSE another chance, but I really do not see the issue in me using IWR outside of the fact it won't actively adapt to the changes of the ULs or any other house mod.

I think I have Wrye Bash, but likely an outdated version, and I don't recall what I was using it for, because I was using OBMM to load OMODs and set the order. Maybe that's what I've been forgetting about for cleaning mods (also why I've yet to release anything, as I lost track of what I used to use to ensure mods are clean, not wanting to risk an unclean release). I'll check the latest out as well then.

Thanks.

Don't let old habits restrict your learning or enjoyment experiences, that's all I can say to that reply.

I went reading, installed Wrye Bash, and it's nice, but looking through the documentation on UESP there are a few alleged benefits for OBMM being used as well. One thing mentioning something with the handling of shaders which was confusing. Think they may have meant regarding archive invalidation, though I see Wrye installed AII which makes invalidation useless. I'll have to get an understanding of BAIN, after reading that OBMM does not understand some things when it comes to installing files with activated OMODs. I guess I'll use OBMM for when things are available only as OMODs, for now, though I'm not sure I can just rename them as .7z files and drop them for BAIN to take over.

Lot of stuff to read. :sweat:

UESP is a wonderful resource, but a lot of the stuff on there is outdated, so don't treat it as the bible of all things Oblivion.

BAIN is reall not hard to get to grips with, in fact it's simple as simple can be with standard mods. A little more thought is needed for complex mods with numerous install options, but still easier than doing it manually. and unlike OBMM uninstalling rolls back to a previous state, so nothing is ever lost.

Keep reading and learning... you WILL be pleased that you did.