Crashes Before Start Menu

Just noticed that your DarnUI is out of date. You need version a11. As for install order, I'd go DarnUI, the overhaul mods (FWE, MMM, WMK) then PB, then FOIP, and then I'd make a bashed patch (or FO3edit merged patch if you don't like Wrye), and then test it. If it was all stable like that, then I'd back up the entire Fallout installation and start installing those other mods you think are either totally reliable or whose coolness factor overrides your concerns about their reliability. Then make a new bashed patch and test some more.

Phew, navigating the DarnUI forums to get to the newest update was a nightmare since each version had it's own thread, if not multiple, but I got it. I'm reinstalling and am going to try out Wrye Bash, which needs Python. I can't seem to get that working. I'm using the Python, wxPython, PyWin32, Comtypes, and Psyco but I can't seem to get it to even start up (Python, not the game). At first, I tried getting the latest versions of everything, then I noticed that Python doesn't work with a x64 installation of Python. So after going x86, it still wouldn't start up a GUI. Then I tried using the exact version files that the help file in the installation suggested and that didn't work out either. Then I notice that the recommended version of wxPython is based on Python 2-5 and not 2-6, which is the recommended version of Python itself... God this is just so f***ed up. Can I get a recommendation of which file versions to use under what amd architecture (x86 or x64)? I have the location of all the components of Python and the site itself bookmarked, so I can locate them fine, I just would like to know WHICH ones to download.

EDIT: Link to the document I was using to tell what version files were needed.

I'm installing via Wrye now, and I'm confused. WMK is higher in the load order than FWE, but in the installer tab it claims that some of the similarly edited files that it's lower than FWE (using the terms higher and lower in the sense of when the game reads them, not physically listed in Wrye). In the mods tab, WMK is clearly listed higher than FWE. How may i adjust this?

I'm installing via Wrye now, and I'm confused. WMK is higher in the load order than FWE, but in the installer tab it claims that some of the similarly edited files that it's lower than FWE (using the terms higher and lower in the sense of when the game reads them, not physically listed in Wrye). In the mods tab, WMK is clearly listed higher than FWE. How may i adjust this?

Install and run BOSS to get a new masterlist. Wrye can use a BOSS masterlist to figure load order and to get its bash tags - this is half of what makes it superior to FO3edit when it comes to merged patches. Once you have the latest masterlist, then install from BAIN (the installer tab of Wyre) and it should know when to overwrite and when not. Sometimes, though, it may still show something else as "lower" and act like it gave that other mod preference, but when you look at the list of "underwritten" files there aren't any cuz it actually did what it was supposed to - it just didn't explicitly say so. But as long as BOSS is there and launchable from Wrye (which means Wrye knows where it and its masterlist are), then you'll be golden.

Edit: there may also be times when BAIN doesn't know whether to overwrite or not, particularly when it comes to cosmetic mods that do not include any esms or esps and therefore are not listed in the BOSS masterlist. In these cases just handle it the way you would if you were using FOMM - Wrye also keeps track of which mod overwrote which so there is always a path back out if things "gang agley on ya".

One gotcha, not likely to come up but possible: if you install a component from BAIN that is part of a larger archive but is incompatible with something else you installed or plan to install, you can uninstall just that one bit while leaving the parent archive intact. For example, if you install an FOIP module that has DLC plugins for DLCs you don't have, and you suspect those plugins may be a problem, there is way to uninstall just those plugins while leaving the rest of the FOIP module intact. Just go back to the BAIN tab and select the archive you installed the questionable bit from, and in the lower right panel you should see a listing of all the individual esms and esps contained within that archive, with check marks next to all of them. Just uncheck the ones you want gone, right click on the archive in the left hand list, and then choose "Anneal". That will trim the installation back to remove just the components you unchecked. Similarly, you can of course uncheck unneeded components when you first go to install them, and BAIN will only install the ones you left checked in that lower right panel. This is handy when dealing with overhauls and their FOIP patches which contain optional plugins you don't want or can't use. If you just don't install those dead plugins in the first place, then you cut down on the number of potential complications down the road. You can always go back later and add a left out bit by just putting a check back in its box and then choosing the option "Install missing".

Edited by proconsu1

True story about BOSS handling it. I also had a problem with DarnUI in that the proper custom font didn't transfer over, but it excpected it to be a smaller size so when it displayed everything text was running off of the screen and I almost couldn't see the quit option at the main menu. Solved it by uninstalling via Wrye and installing via FOMM. Meh.

On a different note, Wrye is a beast of burden, Jesus! I'm pouring over UESP and Wrye Musings but it's just so much to take in at once, lol. I'm fine for now; thank you so much proconsu1!

I also had a problem with DarnUI in that the proper custom font didn't transfer over, but it excpected it to be a smaller size so when it displayed everything text was running off of the screen and I almost couldn't see the quit option at the main menu. Solved it by uninstalling via Wrye and installing via FOMM. Meh.

Sorry, my bad there, cuz I knew DarnUI would do this and should have warned you. There is a FOMOD script that tells FOMM to edit one line of your .ini file which tells the game to load that font. Wrye cannot run that script, so you have to either install from FOMM or edit the .ini manually after installing from BAIN. Personally I did like you and installed that one mod from FOMM before loading up Wrye and installing everything else from BAIN.