ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

True Scholar - A Skyrim Book Overhaul

Daiyus

So this is an idea I've been bouncing around my head for a while, since I finished The Eloquent Reader. A complete overhaul to the functionality of books:

• The mod would have a dependency on Book Covers Skyrim and it's Lost Library expansion. If you're in any way serious about books in Skyrim these mods should grace your load order.
  • It would include the Speechcraft boost from most books that is present in The Eloquent Reader.
  • It would have skill requirements for skill books; you must have a basic understanding of the skill before you understand what the book is explaining (Level 25 in the skill). This would prevent Skill Books levelling skills that aren't wanted.
  • It would include the ability to create your own Spell Books which allow you to create your own library of Arcane Knowledge. Reading these books allows you to forget and relearn spells at will, giving you complete control of your Spell inventory. This is based on my own Library of the Arcane mod. This is done using a Scribes Kit that can be used anywhere in the world (similar to Field Alchemy); you can only write Spell Books for Spells currently in your inventory.
  • Spell Tomes will have separate textures to Spell Books; crafted spell books will use Edwarrs Spell Tome Books.

The idea is to present these functions in cleaner, more efficient manner than in previous iterations whilst improving compatibility. As all these functions are geared towards improving how interrelated the Books to Knowledge relationship is it makes sense to combine them into a single mod.

As you can see some of the groundwork is laid out in my previous work, but there's a lot to do still. Would people be interested in seeing this mod made? While it's one that I'd like to have in my own game and will be done eventually, knowing there's a call for it from the community will help my motivation.

Edited by Daiyus

Sound cool! I like the idea of the skill requirements for books. Maybe you could have some sort of reading skill as well :P

Sound cool! I like the idea of the skill requirements for books. Maybe you could have some sort of reading skill as well :P

I could offer an optional Plugin that would add a perk (or three tiers) that grant more experience per read in the Speech tree. I'm loathed to touch perk trees though. Maybe just some passive bonus for reading X number of books?

What kind of bonuses would be well received?

Also probably worth mentioning now; I won't be starting work on this until USLEEP is out. It'll be a whole lot easier than trying to transfer later.

Edited by Daiyus

• 3 weeks later...

yes I am trying to bash together a working book mod list from the nexus right now and this would be great if it was just custom made...

include the covers, and the eloquent reader, as you say. but also include the infinite book shelf mod, the books of skyrim book store, and a "mark books as read" function.

also there is a "journal" mod out there that lets me write in my own book to keep notes. if I could then "publish these notes to the mod that would be great so I can then place these books on the shelves of my home as well. or even post them to drop box, the steam workshop, or something, to allow the mod to pull custom books from all over.

allow me to enchant the books not just write my spells into them. so I can make a book that will improve my "smith" skill if I have it in my inventory etc.

I am sure if this mod starts to flesh out I could come up with more work for you..... :whistling:

hmm already a new idea. make it tie into my kindle library so I can read my kindle books in skyrim. or any ebook for that matter.

Edited by eswallie

• 4 weeks later...

Rather than a skill requirement for reading skill books, you could just use Always/Sometimes Pick Up Books, which allows you to pick up skill books without reading them, or duplicate that functionality. So instead of wasting the book at level 25, I can save it until I am level 99 and ready to smash my own skull against a brick wall rather than work on getting it to 100.

Overall this sounds very good. I am already using the True Scholar Preview.

Edit: Would be nice to also allow us to put the Black Books on a regular bookshelf. I already use Black Books Begone but that doesn't really do what I want, which is put them on an ordinary bookshelf.