Question for moderator

Ultrajet

It's a carrot on a stick situation if you post up images of mods that cannot be hosted or linked to here. It's like saying "look, but don't touch" and it causes more trouble than good as, naturally, people want to be told where they can get the mod. That's why we remove the images.

Well, you can post screenshots of mods not hosted here, but which are hosted on Planet Elder Scrolls, right?

We run the same policy over there, and delete mods that contain ripped content. (meaning, ripped content aren't even approved when uploading, as we check them out before they are visible to the public. And if not found then, they are usually reported very quickly.)

Well, you can post screenshots of mods not hosted here, but which are hosted on Planet Elder Scrolls, right?

We run the same policy over there, and delete mods that contain ripped content. (meaning, ripped content aren't even approved when uploading, as we check them out before they are visible to the public. And if not found then, they are usually reported very quickly.)

Of course you can post screenshots of legal content that is hosted elsewhere. No problem!

Was curious about this myself. There were a couple bows up on the TES site a while back, but they got the boot on account of ripped content. Now I don't even have 'em installed, just to make sure I don't get a good screenshot with some illegal material in it.

Will keep this in mind for ALL future loadouts.

Edited by DJZephyr

Honest mistakes will just get the material taken off the site. It's easy to forget how heavily modded one's own games can get, or where everything that's in use might have originally come from. This is most likely to happen with images because the Player often isn't actively selecting all the materials at the time. (It's Arguing about the removal that'll get one in bigger trouble anyway! :tongue: )

Uploading Mods that "accidently" contain unauthorized material is a much more serious issue.

:laugh: You're right Myrmaad! That one wasn't an accident. It was the whole point of the image, wasn't it? :laugh:

I was trying to address DJZephyr's concerns, not the images that started this thread. :thumbsup:

There's popular armor based on other games hosted here too, what is the difference? Just an honest inquiry.

Or is it just easier for me not to share images from mods not from nexus?

I think all your other questions have been answered except for this one.

A "rip" is taking assets from one game and making them work in another. The initial work was made for one game and then somebody takes that work and makes it available in another. This is what isn't allowed by the game makers and we support that position.

Models and textures "based" on something else but created by the author of the mod is called fan art. All the bits and pieces are made by that person and not originating elsewhere.

Here are some examples:

Example #1 - Importing the glass armor in Morrowind and making some changes to it and then exporting it to work in Oblivion is still not allowed...even if the original was heavily modified. This is called a derivative. The simple act of importing the armor and making it work for Oblivion classifies it as a derivative because something had to be changed in order to make it work...even if nothing visually changed. So it doesn't matter if it is identical or modified...if it started out as an asset in another game, it is considered a "rip"

Example #2 - Creating a model and texture from scratch but being based on an asset in another game, like the glass armor in Morrowind, is called fan art and is not considered a rip because the asset did not start off as the Morrowind armor. A design influence is called fan art but even if the asset was made to look just like the original, a comparative analysis of the model, UVs and texture could easily reveal if it were an identical rip, a cleverly disguised derivative rip or an actual fan art that was created from scratch.

Visual Example:

Morrowind Glass Armor (original)

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee11/Conan_Lon/Oblivion/VvardenfellGlass/MorrowindGlassArmor.jpg

Morrowind Glass Armor for Oblivion (fan art)

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee11/Conan_Lon/Oblivion/VvardenfellGlass/HeavyArmor-WIP1.jpg

LHammonds

(It's Arguing about the removal that'll get one in bigger trouble anyway! :tongue: )

Wait I hope you don't mean I was arguing >,<

I thought I was right at first because I read this: http://www.thenexusforums.com/index.php?showtopic=214963 and it didn't say anything there about mods not hosted here.

Now I am just trying to understand the rules better

I didn't even know what a rip was before... :unsure:

Although, don't try to convince me that an image showcasing Mass Effect armor, for example, is an honest mistake. You can claim ignorance of the rule once.

It was an honest mistake because I didn't know it wasn't allowed. My first one wasn't taken down so when I posted again and they were both blocked I was confused o_O

But my dumbest mistake was posting the blocked images on this thread again! Seriously I'm really sorry, I have "derp" moments more often then I should!

Also the point of my screenshots wasn't to showcase it and tease everyone that I have it and they don't. I know that may be hard to believe tho >,<

I was playing with that armor before and took some screens and was enchanted with the image, as dorky as that sounds!

There's popular armor based on other games hosted here too, what is the difference? Just an honest inquiry.

Or is it just easier for me not to share images from mods not from nexus?

I think all your other questions have been answered except for this one.

A "rip" is taking assets from one game and making them work in another. The initial work was made for one game and then somebody takes that work and makes it available in another. This is what isn't allowed by the game makers and we support that position.

Models and textures "based" on something else but created by the author of the mod is called fan art. All the bits and pieces are made by that person and not originating elsewhere.

Here are some examples:

Example #1 - Importing the glass armor in Morrowind and making some changes to it and then exporting it to work in Oblivion is still not allowed...even if the original was heavily modified. This is called a derivative. The simple act of importing the armor and making it work for Oblivion classifies it as a derivative because something had to be changed in order to make it work...even if nothing visually changed. So it doesn't matter if it is identical or modified...if it started out as an asset in another game, it is considered a "rip"

Example #2 - Creating a model and texture from scratch but being based on an asset in another game, like the glass armor in Morrowind, is called fan art and is not considered a rip because the asset did not start off as the Morrowind armor. A design influence is called fan art but even if the asset was made to look just like the original, a comparative analysis of the model, UVs and texture could easily reveal if it were an identical rip, a cleverly disguised derivative rip or an actual fan art that was created from scratch.

Visual Example:

Morrowind Glass Armor (original)

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee11/Conan_Lon/Oblivion/VvardenfellGlass/MorrowindGlassArmor.jpg

Morrowind Glass Armor for Oblivion (fan art)

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee11/Conan_Lon/Oblivion/VvardenfellGlass/HeavyArmor-WIP1.jpg

LHammonds

Sweet this clears it up for me. Thanks for your answer. May I suggest this be added to the image share rules forum?