Lore or non-lore?

Nealus

24 members have voted

1. 1. How much do you care about lore?

• Very much.
    • I don't bother myself with it, but prefer lore-friendly mods
    • I don't think about it: I stuff my Oblivion with all plugins I like
    • My Oblivion is styled (medieval, anime, steampunk, etc.)

For me, Lore is the bit that differentiates the Elder "crolls from other "D&D Clone" RPGs,

Having said that, one recurring annoyance is Bethesda failing to stick with their lore in some very obvious ways when they bring out the next game. The modding community have spent (and continue to spend) thousands of man/woman/elf/orc/whatever hours remaking Oblivion from the ground up to put back the lore that was dumped or just accidentally/deliberately left out. It has taken years to get to the point where some of the cleverer modders can now put the correct feet onto the Argonians and Khajiit, for instance, after Bethesda took the shortcut of using the human bodies and feet without anything but cosmetic changes. We are just hoping they haven't done something equally obvious when they bring out Skyrim in November.

Mods that are lore friendly are less likely to contradict each other. When they do contradict each other, or worse contradict with the existing world, much immersion is broken.

The second option rings a bell for me, so that's why I picked it. Oblivion is a fantasy game and everyone is enjoying it the way they like. I like it my way, that's why I install mods that don't break immersion and are generaly lore friendly. I do have a weakness for well made mods and ocasionaly I might install a mod that adds a lightsaber, a spacesuit or simply adds a McDonald's shop in the middle of Imperial City Market District, but that's just for fun. :thumbsup:

Cheers and beers,

Pushkatu

I'm new in all about Elder Scroll's lore, so, in an objective way, i don't care too much about it, but, i keep an eye in using mods that don't break entirely the environment, i mean, nothing about burgers and spaceships XD, for an example, in the lore thing, what's doing the templars in Tamriel?, by the other side, they look cool and they don't break the general aestetic of Tamriel... no matter what world, lore, legend, etc etc etc... you will always see a white knight XD

I am not a lore guru, and I probably only have a top-level understanding of the lore, but I do consider it important. If a mod blatantly defies lore (eg a pet dog with bees in its mouth that when it barks it shoots bees at you) I either never download it (if the readme makes this clear), or quickly remove it (if the readme was less clear on this). Such mods utterly ruin the game for me.