Is it even worth it, NV?

flaggpuss

I have FO3, It seems the modding scene for FO3 is dying and a lot of ppl moving to NV, but does it crash as bad and have problems just like FO3 because if it does I might as well stick with FO3 and not be disapointed with frustration from a newer edition of fallout that is worse or just the same by just running it and playing it. :wallbash:

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i would say that Fallout New Vegas is a worthy game, and is a wonderful experience, and you should give it a try

i have New Vegas, and i have some mods on it (mostly big mods, with a few small additions), and it runs pretty well

it doesn't crash as bad as Fallout 3 used to crash for me, but it's pretty much up to you making sure to use only compatible mods and run with a good load order and such

as for the FO3 modding scene dying, i don't see that happening

it's true that some modders have left FO3 for New Vegas, but it doesn't mean that the modding scene is dying

i'm pretty sure the FO3 modding scene is very much alive, and will continue to be so

so all in all, i would suggest that you give New Vegas a try (and especially if you'll get Dead Money too, as it's just awesome)

The Morrowind modding community isn't even dead. I wouldn't expect for the FO3 modding community to die anytime soon.

The game is based off of the same engine. There are some bugs, more so than FO3 at this point but I've only had NV crash twice in almost 40 hours of playtime.

The Morrowind modding community isn't even dead. I wouldn't expect for the FO3 modding community to die anytime soon.

The game is based off of the same engine. There are some bugs, more so than FO3 at this point but I've only had NV crash twice in almost 40 hours of playtime.

What are the bugs? :mellow:

Well I haven't played FO3 yet; however, if you are someone who likes the story and not just the shooter I'd recommend it. In the words of the game developers I'd rate FO:NV as the Merciful Thug.

On the Merciful side it is loaded with good stuff: characters, stories and quests -- and yes there are a lot of bad cliches in the dialog but there is a lot of good story and dialog too.

On the Thug side FO:NV does have a lot of issues that I found constantly frustrated me, and these are not mainly bugs. There are bugs and I had fairly regular game crashes, true, but many things that frustrated me were often game design issues especially micromanagement of companions and inventory, and I was not too happy with the VATS combat system but I hate FPS games. So I tailored my play style to a sneak/sniper type of warrior to get the most out of VATS, and I organized all my excess gear in one of player dwellings they give you, and I'd use that as a staging area prior to a big mission to limit the pain of inventory management, and I eventually also learned to live with the limitations on companion AI althought that took longest of all.

If like me you like the Fallout story and lots of quests you'll like NV, but if you mainly want a first person shooter game I think there are a lot better games for that.

Edited by drakeelvin

Hey I played NV for a while now and I''ve only had a 2 or 3 crashes that I found were mod related, and now it hasn't crashed since then. New Vegas runs a lot smoother than FO3 it seems, this could be because I have only a few or moderate mods/plugins installed, the heavy or most altering mods are .bsa compressed or I have used master update and just have prior experience with mods due to FO3. But it doesn't seem to stop here, it seems they might have made a few changes to the engine or something, it looks better and seems to run better. I think I am so impressed with finally starting to enjoy fallout without the fear of the crash demon waiting to pounce, I might just clear off FO3 and just have NV on my system, does anyone have any thoughts on this? :thumbsup: