Is it even worth it, NV?

flaggpuss

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes. The data on the Platinum Chip was meant not only to upgrade the Securitrons but also House's missile defense systems, meaning that he would have been able to completely spare the Vegas area from any nuclear destruction if he'd gotten the chip in time. Since he never received it before the war broke out, he had to rely on a less advanced operating system and thus a few nukes managed to slip through the defense grid.

This is all explained in game.

It may be explained, but it is still disappointing. New Vegas just does not feel post apocalyptic enough to me. Or maybe I just don't like wide open featureless deserts. I am a city boy after all :)

FNV quests have a higher quality of dialogue and voice acting than FO3. I remember doing a lot of clicking through dialogue while playing FO3, plus the main quest line in FO3 is horribly linear. FNV's main quest line only gets somewhat linear right near the end. Granted, the quests are more complicated and problematic unless you figure out a certain order for various things, but then they didn't exactly have years of dev time in FNV.

FNV weapons and combat is pretty close to FO3 aside from some minor changes. So, if you're playing it like a shooter, you'd probably prefer FO3.

The FNV locations and overall scenery is more tightly packed together, so that helps a bit if you don't like to fast travel.

There's "hardcore" mode in FNV, but they may as well have called "sort of realistic, but not really" mode. That makes the game more fun, but they wimped out on it. They really should have made the needs about five to ten times more pressing than they are.

There's gambling in FNV, but it's basically one lame card game, Blackjack, slots, and roulette. If you have a character with low luck, those are kind of fun.

Funny, I thought the beginning of the main quest (the They Went That-A-Way part) was pretty linear.

Or maybe I just don't like wide open featureless deserts. I am a city boy after all

FO3 has plenty of wide open spaces too. Though not as wide and open as those in FNV I guess. I'm Texan so I likes me some wide open spaces. :tongue:

What I'm finding that I don't like is that, I don't think my character would actually finish the main quest for any of the three factions. The Legion is right out because she's not evil, Mr. House is out because he hates the Brotherhood (though, when she meets the West Coast Brotherhood she may change her mind), and she doesn't really care much for the NCR. Also as I've been playing her, her main motivation is to get back to DC. >.>

What I'm finding that I don't like is that, I don't think my character would actually finish the main quest for any of the three factions. The Legion is right out because she's not evil, Mr. House is out because he hates the Brotherhood (though, when she meets the West Coast Brotherhood she may change her mind), and she doesn't really care much for the NCR. Also as I've been playing her, her main motivation is to get back to DC. >.>

Yeah all the endings annoyed the snot out of me. I wont spoil it for you but I frankly hated the three endings I did, and like you i wont even do the legion ending.

FNV quests have a higher quality of dialogue and voice acting than FO3.

The voice acting is the same in both. 99% of it sucked, the other 1% is ok to good in both games. But FO3 had Three Dogs, so FO3 wins :)

For quest dialogue I agree, FNV wins (but only on dialogue). And the main quest may be less linear, but its also total garbage. There is no motivation to do it. You got mugged, you survived, big deal? Was just business. Now if Benny had raped my sister and killed my parents, then yeah, I can get into the motivation. Mind you that is another (and probably the biggest) problem with Vegas. It was such a Bathesda special on the main character. Family? Fiends? Past? What is the Couriers motivation? What is his story? Dont get me wrong, I liked Obvlivion and Morrowind, but I dont want Fallout becoming those games. At leats in Fallout 3 I could understand wanting to go find and save Dad. I understood why the world seemed strange and I understood my past.

These things are important to me. I prefer role playing games that give you a role to play rather than the whole man with no name thing Bathesda love so much. Fallout 1, KOTOR, ME etc.

The FNV locations and overall scenery is more tightly packed together, so that helps a bit if you don't like to fast travel.

You think the Mojave desert was closer packed than downtown DC? Really?

There's "hardcore" mode in FNV, but they may as well have called "sort of realistic, but not really" mode. That makes the game more fun, but they wimped out on it. They really should have made the needs about five to ten times more pressing than they are.

Fallout Wanderers Edition (FWE). Enough said on hardcore. FO3 wins that battle hands down no contest.

There's gambling in FNV, but it's basically one lame card game, Blackjack, slots, and roulette. If you have a character with low luck, those are kind of fun.

I hate minigames :)

Why is it when listing FNV strengths, none if its fans mention speech/barter? For me the single biggest improvements is the usefulness of speech and barter skills. Or the faction system.

Three Dog's announcements always made me cringe.

AOOUUUW IT'S THRRRREEE DAAAAWG

Also, companions in FO3 were about as charismatic as cardboard figures, in NV they weren't as useless in combat and actually had some back story and worthwhile dialogue.

Pfft. Three Dog and Fawkes are awesome.

@Gopher: Oh I already read about the endings anyway. Had to research for what Blaze would most likely pick after all. :whistling: And hey I mentioned the faction system. I think it's one of NV's biggest advantages over FO3.

Three Dog's announcements always made me cringe.

AOOUUUW IT'S THRRRREEE DAAAAWG

Also, companions in FO3 were about as charismatic as cardboard figures, in NV they weren't as useless in combat and actually had some back story and worthwhile dialogue.

Never been much of a campaion person actually so for me the Vegas was quite annoing because I knew there were companion quests, and I am one of those 'must do every quest/explore every inch' kind of people :) But usually I am a lone wanderer stealth type character. I wish the companions in Vegas had given their quests instantly, but I understand why they didn't. The two exceptions are Rex and ED-E. Somehow they felt right ( I just wish I could control them so they would stay behind me). Boone was ok because he was pretty good at staying out of the way but I had to constantly resist the urge to slap his miserable face in.

Actually the Courier is such a non-character I actually find myself hoping someone makes a mod that lets you play as ED-E instead :)