Request for Vanilla Common/Peasant clothing replacer

ScenicGaming

I think modern audiences are often surprised by how colorful peasant clothes were/are because we are accustomed to movies which portray them as drab and dull in order to help emphasize the main characters' costumes and save money on costuming. If you go to a museum and look at peasant clothes from the middle ages or even from ancient times, they were quite colorful. Not as vibrant as the aristocracy of course, but definitely more colorful than the natural brownish-white of cotton and wool.

Well, there is that. Personally I am bugged by people using our own history as the basis for what it must be like in the TES world. But yeah, movies and other games I think are to blame as well. Especially as both are heading more and more for darker and muted settings.

Well, there is that. Personally I am bugged by people using our own history as the basis for what it must be like in the TES world. But yeah, movies and other games I think are to blame as well. Especially as both are heading more and more for darker and muted settings.

I agree, but I was talking about our world history. I have no idea dyes were part of TES games, so I revert to earth.

I don't think you can look at specific events or technologies, but basic human nature translates pretty well between worlds. Barring some religious or legal, people are going to try to decorate their clothing as part of their self-expression, and that means colors.

I agree, but I was talking about our world history. I have no idea dyes were part of TES games, so I revert to earth.

ESO aside, one still can't use our own history as a guideline for how TES would be even in small details like this. The sentient races have a shorter existence, as far as we can know of at this point, compared to humans. In that time they are more developed then we were in a similar time period. Counter to this is the fact they advance less slowly it seems as technology from even the pre-ESO games shows little advance to even moving backwards in some cases (but this is mostly a case of artistic leaning rather than actual facts). Not to mention magic, access to materials and creatures that are completely alien to us in reality, etc.

Its like using our own history to explain why Ebarron or Middle Earth doesn't make sense. It has its own set of internal logic and isn't bound by our earthly rules and that should always be kept in mind. Even if it were, as someone who spent 12 years as part of a historical re-enactment group and learned how to, by historically accurate methods, create inks and dyes as well as worth with metal and leather; I can tell you that if I were to make a guess with that as the basis for it being an educated guess, that dye would be much easier to come by in the TES world. As is proven by the Argonian and Khajiit races and their selection colours and the readily availability to even the lower members of their races, and as is made more likely with the existence of druids which are confirmed by multiple canon sources.

Not that I am attacking you as wrong or anything, simply sharing my view on the matter. I entirely understand it is natural for us to revert to earth as a reference point. It is what we know and have to go on.

Well I decided to sit down and have a read through how to do it myself. Although it will probably take an age as I'm a noob.

This is one I've been playing with in GIMP. But need to work on a lot more to make it usable. Haven't touched the normals yet.

Still trying to get my head around how to do it properly.

This is the first farming female clothing dress. If I can get my head around it, I'll try and do more, and males as well. Not sure if I'll get the chance to get that far.

I think it's going too noble. Hmmm. Might have to change the red to something else. I do like this one though.

Anyhoo. What do you think?

http://i435.photobucket.com/albums/qq78/GamerAmelli/Skyrim/Farm%20Clothing%20Redux/6ddb14cb-e66e-474c-9a04-1159c9f92553_zpsahuvjlsp.jpg

http://i435.photobucket.com/albums/qq78/GamerAmelli/Skyrim/Farm%20Clothing%20Redux/2015-08-21_00006_zpsqtp2ufx4.jpg

http://i435.photobucket.com/albums/qq78/GamerAmelli/Skyrim/Farm%20Clothing%20Redux/2015-08-21_00005_zpssdsgflmr.jpg

http://i435.photobucket.com/albums/qq78/GamerAmelli/Skyrim/Farm%20Clothing%20Redux/2015-08-21_00002_zpsog57djrp.jpg

Okay, so I've been digging around with this one to find a real world reference and it looks like this dress is based of Medieval/Renaissance peasant and noble gowns for the shape. Pretty interesting. But hard to get ideas that fit the overall mesh shape.

Now have a better understanding of normal maps, so going to a whole fresh look (texture) for the mesh. Working on it now. Will be completely different to the previous image example I posted.

I think it looks great!

Looks like a mid high class dress. The blue blends well with the world of Skyrim but still colorful. The wine red color makes it look noble indeed. If you wish it be so, I think removing the belt pouch is a good idea.

I think white is better than red. The white undershirt is very bright though.

ESO aside, one still can't use our own history as a guideline for how TES would be even in small details like this. The sentient races have a shorter existence, as far as we can know of at this point, compared to humans. In that time they are more developed then we were in a similar time period. Counter to this is the fact they advance less slowly it seems as technology from even the pre-ESO games shows little advance to even moving backwards in some cases (but this is mostly a case of artistic leaning rather than actual facts). Not to mention magic, access to materials and creatures that are completely alien to us in reality, etc.

Its like using our own history to explain why Ebarron or Middle Earth doesn't make sense. It has its own set of internal logic and isn't bound by our earthly rules and that should always be kept in mind. Even if it were, as someone who spent 12 years as part of a historical re-enactment group and learned how to, by historically accurate methods, create inks and dyes as well as worth with metal and leather; I can tell you that if I were to make a guess with that as the basis for it being an educated guess, that dye would be much easier to come by in the TES world. As is proven by the Argonian and Khajiit races and their selection colours and the readily availability to even the lower members of their races, and as is made more likely with the existence of druids which are confirmed by multiple canon sources.

Not that I am attacking you as wrong or anything, simply sharing my view on the matter. I entirely understand it is natural for us to revert to earth as a reference point. It is what we know and have to go on.

Nah, there nothing wrong in being corrected at all IMO. I agree with your point. I highly doubt tes world would advance much myself. If was changed to steam power era, people would flip.