New GPU -- Bottlenecks

So, recently I bought a new GPU to go with my OLD (2010) pc. The gpu was an EVGA 2GB GTX 960 ACX. The cpu, however, is an Intel Core i7 930, running at 2.8 mhz. The RAM, is also ancient, DDR3 1066 mhz 12gb. I know these are bottlenecking my system, and it's annoying because I cant find a single ENB for my Skyrim that will run at a good 60 fps. In the future, probably at the end of this year, I will buy the rest of the parts for an entirely new pc, with probably an i5/i7 with 3.5+ ghz, and DDR4 RAM. I want to know, if I will still have the terrible bottlenecking if I do so.

Thanks.

Hey :)

Every part of your hardware needs enough power to take full advantage. You can't play with ENB's with an new GPU and an ancient CPU. Bottlenecking is the result.

GPU takes care of the pixel job

CPU takes care of the calculate job

Alternative try this: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/63839/?

Edited by openthegate

ENB is heavily dependent on GPU, and that GPU isn't up to anything much ENB-wise. Get a better GPU.

I had a i7 920 and while it was bottlenecked it wasn't the primary issue the 7950 was, that and the ancient GameBryo engine Skyrim employs. In case you havn't already give the 930 a substantial overclock and you should see an improvement in results, in benchmarking at least. But a i7 4+ won't solve your ENB issues.

ENB is heavily dependent on GPU, and that GPU isn't up to anything much ENB-wise. Get a better GPU.

I had a i7 920 and while it was bottlenecked it wasn't the primary issue the 7950 was, that and the ancient GameBryo engine Skyrim employs. In case you havn't already give the 930 a substantial overclock and you should see an improvement in results, in benchmarking at least. But a i7 4+ won't solve your ENB issues.

New GPU? But I just got this one last week:| anyways, Im pretty sure the GPU I have wont be a problem, a lot of ENBs were configured to work with newer AND older graphic cards -- atm I use Realvision ENB, and Im actually getting 60 fps. It turns out, that my pc cant run Skyrim on Ultra at 60 fps everywhere, and that my mods and enb are only costing me around 6-10fps...

Hey :)

Every part of your hardware needs enough power to take full advantage. You can't play with ENB's with an new GPU and an ancient CPU. Bottlenecking is the result.

GPU takes care of the pixel job

CPU takes care of the calculate job

Alternative try this: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/63839/?

Thanks, and I've used that before, I guess I'll start getting some new pc parts --

Maybe the new i5 6600k would work well?

Edited by Zhalek

For the latest games an i5 6600k is good enough. Games are more GPU oriented. You need i7's for stuff like fast 1080p / 4K video decoding.

This is exactly the kind of info I needed, though I already read most of it, its good to here another brain at work. :D

Even still, if I got the i5 6600k, would I be able to run some of the latest games and graphical mods? Or would either my gpu or cpu be limiting me?

The GTX 960 is the typical mid-range GPU, a good one but nothing extraordinary. In your configuration I think that your GPU is actually the bottleneck, not your CPU, which is still very good like for a game like Skyrim. While some ENBs are less demanding than others (the fps murderers being Kyo ENBs or the Somber presets for example). Expecting 60 fps with an ENB with this rig is a little optimistic even more with hi-res texture mods and so on. Upgrading your CPU (an i5 5500K is a good gaming choice, but you'll need to upgrade the mobo as well) and your RAM will help but you're still limited by your GTX 960.

Yea, the 960 I am using is currently on in my old pc -- I simply got this gpu ahead of time -- and when I say getting new parts, I mean getting the rest of the parts for my new computer.

Cheers, thanks for the help.

• 3 weeks later...

fyi, ddr4 is unnecessary, you can use a higher end ddr3 for almost everything, and that will likely be alot cheaper. also, if your looking in to performance upgrades, you will also want to take a peak at cooling aswell, as over heating compents will make your computer sluggish, especially during performance critical operations such as gameing. if you havent looked in to cooling, i would recommend replacing factory fans with slight better designed fans for airflow builds, and at the very least a better CPU cooler/ heatsink. depending on how much cooling you need, they might get fairly expensive all together, but a hot system will nuke your experience no mater how nice the parts are.