Black screen at start (but music goes)

So I've been having this problem with Oblivion. It may actually be because of a scratched disc but I don't know if that would cause a problem like this. I would think it just wouldn't launch. But anyway, It's lightly modded, basically just a shell of the 100+ that I used to use, maybe 20, 30 tops. When I launch it (from OBSE) it sometimes (maybe 10 or 15% of the time), seemingly randomly, launches to a black screen. You can hear the first Bethesda screen. it responds to escape and goes to the menu screen (still just sound, no picture) even moving the mouse around you can hear it highlighting the different options on the main menu screen. But the game won't show any picture and I can't even ctrl+alt+delete or alt+tab out of Oblivion. I actually think It might be able to quit out that way (because doing that enough times, the music stops) but there's still no picture and I actually end up having to force shut down my poor $1,600 brand new, top shelf computer. By the way, my specs are retarded high! Enough to run Crysis and it's cousin at 100% so more than enough for Oblivion and everything with it is working fine. It's only Oblivion that does this. If anyone can help that would be awesome. Thanks in advance.

I'm afraid I can't offer anything for your problem but I do have one bit of advice. When it seems Task Manager has not started after you Ctrl + Alt + Del (i.e. the Task Manager screen doesn't come to the foreground) you can close Windows by hitting Alt then u and finally u once more. Much better than the reset button.

my poor $1,600 brand new, top shelf computer. By the way, my specs are retarded high! Enough to run Crysis and it's cousin at 100% so more than enough for Oblivion

A common misconception. Oblivion is far more demanding than Crysis, Farcry and all the rest -- it is an old game, built on an old game engine that does not take advantage of today's technologies.

As to your issue, did you completely remove all traces of things like OBSE plugins, OBGE shaders, and pay especial attention to mods like ScreenEffects and similar.