Crytek screwed the PC Community

HellsMaster

There are limitations but they are not an excuse for dumbing down, open worlds can be done easily on consoles so there is no excuse for still churning out tunnelware as they are today. Crysis 2 for example doesn't have any more depth than Doom did, you stay in the tunnel and shoot everything in front of you. It's not the technology thats the problem, it's a lack of creativity and pandering to children with a limited attention span.

You forget that any developer is also just a business, thus normal business models apply. They need to target the market that's going to make them money. Right now, the money lies at mainstream gamers (and I actually abhor using that word, but it's necessary in this case). This isn't the gamer who spends at least 3 or 4 hours a day playing games, this is the player who plays games when he's in the mood for it every once in a while. Due to the fact that he usually only plays for short amounts of time whenever he plays, he doesn't invest himself in the game as much as the hobby gamers. More likely than not, he wants a game to be as simple as possible due to the aforementioned preference. This doesn't mean the guy is stupid just because he likes his games simple, in much the same way a pro-cyclist can't really think the guy who merely rides his bicycle for fun on Sundays is inferior to him.

These gamers make up a very large part of their sales, so naturally they're going to target them. Whether you find it to be wrong or not depends entirely on the way you view the situation. I find no problem with it, because I'm not entitled to getting the game exactly the way I want it, because nobody is forcing me to buy it. That's one of the main reasons why you should never buy games on release day, because you have to do research on the game to find out if it will suit your gameplay first. Proper reviews will address all these issues and you should be able to make a decision off that.

But think about it, why does CoD make so much money with each annual release? It's not because of its freeform nature or complicated shooting mechanics.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are limitations but they are not an excuse for dumbing down, open worlds can be done easily on consoles so there is no excuse for still churning out tunnelware as they are today. Crysis 2 for example doesn't have any more depth than Doom did, you stay in the tunnel and shoot everything in front of you. It's not the technology thats the problem, it's a lack of creativity and pandering to children with a limited attention span.

You forget that any developer is also just a business, thus normal business models apply. They need to target the market that's going to make them money. Right now, the money lies at mainstream gamers (and I actually abhor using that word, but it's necessary in this case). This isn't the gamer who spends at least 3 or 4 hours a day playing games, this is the player who plays games when he's in the mood for it every once in a while. Due to the fact that he usually only plays for short amounts of time whenever he plays, he doesn't invest himself in the game as much as the hobby gamers. More likely than not, he wants a game to be as simple as possible due to the aforementioned preference. This doesn't mean the guy is stupid just because he likes his games simple, in much the same way a pro-cyclist can't really think the guy who merely rides his bicycle for fun on Sundays is inferior to him.

These gamers make up a very large part of their sales, so naturally they're going to target them. Whether you find it to be wrong or not depends entirely on the way you view the situation. I find no problem with it, because I'm not entitled to getting the game exactly the way I want it, because nobody is forcing me to buy it. That's one of the main reasons why you should never buy games on release day, because you have to do research on the game to find out if it will suit your gameplay first. Proper reviews will address all these issues and you should be able to make a decision off that.

But think about it, why does CoD make so much money with each annual release? It's not because of its freeform nature or complicated shooting mechanics.

True but that part of the market has become saturated, they all see the success of Call of Duty and want some of the pie. Surely there is a also a market for something a little more intelligent? something different? Sadly no one is taking a chance and what we're getting is an endless stream of COD clones. It's odd that EA are so risk averse when one of EAs most successful franchises came from taking a risk, The Sims was something unique at the time and has gone on to make EA a fortune.

@HellsMaster I see no flaming.

I toyed with the idea of modding Crysis 2 but apparently an SDK has not been released and even then, I wouldn't be able to create armor using Blender. Therefore, I'll pass on this game and stick with TES. Reference Thread

Oh, does anyone think it would be a hoot to have a sound-replacer that make it sound like you are a Predator? Maybe even the hands and feet of a Predator? hehehe.

idunno if anyone mentioned this before but technically its not a port the new cryengine3 allows for real time generation on consoles as well as pc, so when they were developing the game they were using the parameters of the console so they wouldnt have to create to different versions a pc version and the a dubbed down console version