Annoying file serch

Saggaris

Does anyone else find it annoying that you can't 'go back a page' when you select a file to look at in the search facility?

If you search for a mod by typing in a keyword or phrase, you are given a number of pages that meet the request... so far so good!, then, looking the files on that 'file list' page a few catch your eye and you select one... then perhaps deciding to see what else is on offer you 'go back a page' for another look at that 'file list' page...you get a blank white page :blink: and have to navigate to Tes Nexus site again, re-type your 'keyword/phrase' in the search facility and take a look at another file, then re-type your search again, and again, and again...surely there's a way to keep the page open... going back a page should take you from the opened 'selected file' page to the previous page with the list on it or am I missing something here?

You don't have to do all that. For me anyway, only the first page of search results will do that when moving back a page. Once you go to the second page and beyond you can go back with no problem.

However, it is a reality for the first page. When you want to go to the previous page, do it, then hit your refresh icon at the top of the page to the right of your address bar/box, OR hit F5. Along with the white page, a popup should tell you that the browser needs to retry to send the data again. Hit retry and the page will refresh and you'll be back on page one. Try that, it should work. :thumbsup:

Why not just open them in a new window? Would save that much time (and possibly server load since your not continuously redoing your search) and would allow you to compare them side by side. ctrl click on Firefox works fine, I can imagine there is something similar, if not the same for IE.

EDIT: As far as I understand, going back to the first search page actually carries out your search again, hence why you get the blank page as you need to "resend" the search data. It depends on which browser you use but I'm pretty sure most will just ask you if you want to resend the info and the page will load up fine. If not, it may be because your privacy settings are blocking it, or something along those lines.

Edited by Skevitj

I usually open things in a new tab.

When I forget, my browser (whichever one I am using, mostly Opera lately) prompts me to resend the search when I go back. Don't get a blank page.

Search does this because it sends you to a page without the search parameters in the URL. When you click the link to go to the next page, the search gets tacked onto the URL. You can also click the link for page two, then click the link for page one and have the search parameters in the URL on page one, eliminating the need to resend the search.

This behavior could probably be fixed with a few extra lines of code in the search function, but I'm no php expert and it's even been a long time since I've done any asp, so don't hold me to that. :whistling: