Severe memory leaks when Alt+Tabbing

predcon

Is there any way to fix the crashes involved with memory leaks when I Alt+Tab to look at quest guides and stuff?

The Oblivion Readme says it's not recommended to alt+tab out of the game as it can cause crashes and actually not let you get back into the game after using it.

Quoted from the UESPWiki. As it says at the bottom...don't do it. :no:

Problem

Oblivion crashes on alt-tab, the windows key etc. It also crashes on instant messenger notification, update confirmation request from my antivirus etc.

Cause

The Alt-tab problem is covered in Readme of the game - the game may, but doesn't have to work correctly after you switch to other app. The problem though is that Alt-tab is not the only method of switching Windows focus to other application, and all the others cause the same problem.

Workaround

Keep your task manager (opened with ctrl+shift+esc) open in the background while playing. After switching out of Oblivion, do not use alt+tab or the task bar to switch back. Instead select the application in your task manager and use the 'Switch To' button. This will restore the window on your desktop but nothing renders. Now click the taskbar to switch back to Oblivion. Works on WinXPSP2 with an ATI card and latest official Catalyst package. Sometimes has to be tried a few times, but has never failed. Alternatively, open any background applications you may want to Alt-tab too (eg: this website) before you start playing. Do not close these background apps whilst playing, or the game will freeze up.

Another way is to bring up the console before using Alt-tab to switch away from Oblivion; this seems to prevent crashes when switching tasks.

Solution

Don't do it. Switch everything unnecessary off.

Edited by Maigrets

The other consideration is whether your CPU can handle the two foreground tasks. My solution to your exact problem is to have the UESP Wiki up on my laptop beside me when I'm playing, so I know what your wishing for.

It's an AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black, complimented with 8GB DDR3 RAM. I'm pretty sure it can handle a web browser and a fullscreen game.

yes, but

the game simply can't handle

alt-tabbing

It's an AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black, complimented with 8GB DDR3 RAM. I'm pretty sure it can handle a web browser and a fullscreen game.

yes, but

the game simply can't handle

alt-tabbing

I

wasn't

talking

about

alt

tab

ing

!