"Good" Thieves Guild

Tsyras

In the Thieves guild, for the most part, you can be a "good" character. Only take bedlam quests and steal from bad people (Nazeem!!), etc etc.

The second quests where you bully people for protection money (Taking Care of Business) really bothers me. I have not done much modding; how hard would it be to add a (LIE) option to Bryn and paying the 300g out of pocket? Then the dialog could continue down the same path.

The other 2 thieves guild quests that could be construed as "bad" are the opening ring planting quest and Dampened Spirits. There doesn't seem to be an easy way out of those, but I think I can justify those more than being a simple hired bully.

Sounds to me like you should play Oblivion. I don't think it would be too hard to add a lie option, but I don't know anything about dialogue editing. In these situations, I actually suggest role-playing a little bit. I was also bothered by these quests, and have come up with my preferred way of doing them when I play a "Robin Hood" kind of character. Maybe it will work for you too. Maybe it won't, but I figured suggesting it wouldn't hurt anything.(I'm terrible with names, so I hope you can understand who I'm talking about.)

For the first quest where you plant the ring, you can just let yourself run out of time without ever even stealing the ring.

For Taking Care of Business, you can help the young woman at the inn blackmail her aunt, which she is grateful because her aunt treats her poorly. Then you can go to the store and talk to the man who is supposed to pay you. You still kind of have to bully him, but he annoys me, and somehow I have convinced myself that he deserves it. I usually break his urn rather than beat him up, as that is the least violent solution. I then talk to the argonian at the other inn, who is the only one of the three characters I actually like, and I don't have to say anything to her, because she's already heard about the other two people. I kind of feel like it's okay because she doesn't know that the other people deserve it and that I would never hurt her. I kind of feel bad every time the male argonian says his line that's something like "how dare you show your face here after what you did to (the female argonian's name)", but there's not really a way around that.

Like you said, there's no easy way out of Dampened Spirits. The guy seems a little shady to me because of the random semi-powerful mage in his cellar, but that's about it. I suppose it would be reasonable to believe that he knows about the mage, but the mage's journal suggests that isn't the case.

Edit: I started thinking about it, and essentially I would like to roleplay that I am "infiltrating" the Thieves guild, to try and take over to bring them back to their honorable ways (i.e. stealing from jerks like Nazeem). So, what I am thinking is leave the actual quest untouched. Then, each of the three targets get a new misc quest (i.e. after the quest is completed they have a new dialog option...and bad characters could just ignore this dialog option). In this quest you could explain what you were doing and make amends (i.e. pay them 300g or something like that). After that is done, have their dispositions back to good (including the male Argonian) so they stop greeting you like you are a criminal. Does this sound like it would be difficult? Clearly the dialog would be unvoiced, but it would still add some depth. I am not even sure if this would require a quest...essentially...conversation which ends with a transfer of gold, and their dispositions being raised (the male argonian maybe presents a problem here though...or have him start liking you after you bring him his gems).

-------------------------------------------

I actually have done the Thieves guild for ES3,4, and 5.

Anyway, I watched a quest tutorial on YouTube. When I dig into this I still am lost though.

Basically I just need an option during the quest (before any of the other objectives have been completed), to say here is the gold they owed us, and have Bryn continue as normal (you did it clean blah blah).

I could also see it done by adding an option when talking to the three targets letting them know the Thieves Guild is trying to extort money, but you will cover their debts. Anyone have any advice (or what to create this :smile: )?

Edited by Tsyras

So I am trying to do this myself (watched some quest tutorials on YT). I want to use voices that are already recorded in the game. For example there is already a female Argonian sound file that says "You dirty thief!". How can I use that in my quest dialog? It seems to only give me the option record a new voice. It seems like there would be an easy way to use already created sound files.

@Tsyras

You will probably need to unpack the sound files from their BSA. There are a few programs you can download that will allow you to do this. Just search for "BSA unpacker". There are a few on Nexus. I've run into one or two that don't work properly, so if you have issues with the first program you try, try another one.

I'm looking foreward to this. I'm one of those who wanted more options for a more Hn orable thief as well. it was definatley itneresting to see a more malicious thieves guild but it doesn't work for all roleplays of hte b uild unfortunately.