Oblivion suddenly freezing?

davidline

Alright, hello btw. I'm pretty new to Oblivion I got my hands on it once couple of years ago but I couldn't afford to play it then, so grabbed a GoTYE and patched it up to full, my friend pointed me out to some okay mods, well I only use one really which is the Frostcrag Spire.

Now what happened recently is that my graphics driver just quit on me, so I had to do a couple of reinstalls, repatches, and everything so that it would be fine, well I finally got the random pixels under control today, but until now I could regularly play the game, with absolutley 0 crashes or bugs what so ever, and I would play for straight hours. But now that I finally settled on the graphics driver my Oblivion game freezes! I was so mad, I did a couple of more reinstalls, but it would continue despite switching resolutions, graphics options, nothing would work. It would play for exactly 3 minutes, and suddenly freeze no matter what I do. So I switched my resolution, again, but to a lower Widescreen, and now it doesn't just freeze, the animations are still going on?!?!? wtf?!?

What I mean by that is that I'm usually just doing my thing in my inventory, or when I'm speaking to someone (Note I counted to 3 minutes, that's when it still freezes), everytime it catches me in that situation, and the wierdest thing is in the inventory my character continues the animation?!?!? but I can't move the mouse or do anything, there's no sound either, and when I'm talking to someone their eyes keep rolling like normally, as well as other face functions. So I'm really just beating my head against the wall now, after reading multiple websites full of the "Regular" problems that people have, none have the symptoms myne do.

Please help out a newb! and a veteran player from the good old days of Morrowind, god I wished my CD wasn't killed by how much I played that game...

Oblivion.esm

Knights.esm

DLCVileLair.esm

DLCThievesDen.esm

DLCSpellTomes.esm

DLCShiveringIsles.esm

DLCHorseArmor.esm

DLCFrostCrag.esm

All are in the correct order, and have not given me any problems untill all of these driver issues I had.

Your mod list isn't the problem, seeing as those are all official DLCs. If it was working fine until a video driver update, and you're still running the bad driver, just roll it back. Uninstall your video driver and drop back a step to the older one that works until you find a fix. That way, you can at least play the game in the meantime.

That sounds like an issue with your system, and not Oblivion. You need to have your system checked out -- scan for viruses, malware, check for component overheating. Clean out the inside of your box, and get that graphics card looked at or replaced.

Alright, hello btw. I'm pretty new to Oblivion I got my hands on it once couple of years ago but I couldn't afford to play it then, so grabbed a GoTYE and patched it up to full, my friend pointed me out to some okay mods, well I only use one really which is the Frostcrag Spire.

When you say "patched it up to full" are you using a downloaded patch or do you mean "When I installed the GotY I installed both disks and the game is now at version 1.2.0416". The GotY edition is fully patched on a proper full install.

What I mean by that is that I'm usually just doing my thing in my inventory, or when I'm speaking to someone (Note I counted to 3 minutes, that's when it still freezes), everytime it catches me in that situation, and the wierdest thing is in the inventory my character continues the animation?!?!? but I can't move the mouse or do anything, there's no sound either, and when I'm talking to someone their eyes keep rolling like normally, as well as other face functions.

You mention updating video drivers ... did you also update sound drivers or install codecs. Sound issues will also freeze the game.

Well that's what I meant by fully patched up, with the game that is.

But can you point me in the right direction for the codecs? It's been a while since I've ever needed one. And for sound freezing, it makes sense now, when I open the game on the main menu part there was no sound, guess I looked that over huh, Thanks a lot man.

I wasn't suggesting missing codecs, I was wondering if you'd recently installed codecs. Here's an excerpt from Koroush Ghazi's Oblivion Tweak Guide (emphasis added):

If you are experiencing audio-related glitches or problems, firstly make sure you have installed the latest audio drivers for your sound card. Details of these are in the Driver Installation/Windows Drivers chapter of the TweakGuides Tweaking Companion, along with further instructions in that chapter for correct driver installation and general driver tips. Disable all additional audio effects or enhancements. For example, if you run a Creative sound card, go into the Audio HQ/Audio Console and in the EAX Control Panel click the 'All Effects Off' option or select 'No Effects' for all the presets. You should also consider disabling CMSS 3D, and indeed any other audio effect options which may be conflicting with Oblivion's sound. You should also consider uninstalling any 'codec packs' you may have installed, as these are known to cause audio problems in a range of games. Contrary to popular belief, most sound cards and even recent onboard audio solutions do not have a conflict with Oblivion, so typically the problem is with the audio settings and/or other audio codecs installed on the system.

If you are still having lots of stuttering, audio glitches and crashes, you can undertake certain tweaks to disable Sound Hardware Acceleration or disable the background music in Oblivion - see the bDSoundHWAcceleration and bMusicEnabled variables in particular under the Advanced Tweaking section. The reason for this is that the background music is dynamic, and responds to your location and situation. While it is indeed very beautiful music, it is constantly loading in the background, changing whenever combat is initiated for example, so it can use up additional RAM and accesses hard drive resources adding to stuttering on many systems.