NMM 0.60 Beta released with profiling. Sharing profiles to follow soon.

Dark0ne

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #28764089. #28764174, #28766959 are all replies on the same post.

ladre5 wrote: i cant tell how stupid this is, what a .....
why cant u abort the whole thing after u installed it? who the hell reads the read me of a new nmm version?
now it deinstalls all mods and i ahve plenty! some have to be instzalled in the right order to work, this will take hours to do and i adont have this time.
biggest fail ever, so angry right now...
Skylarflare wrote: I feel the same, like.. seriously?
This is the result of bad programming or their new "director" trying to take control.
I won't be playing Skyrim for a while due to how long it's going to take to fix this..
Same feels.
Dark0ne wrote: You can. Twice. Once during the installer phase where a warning, in BIG RED FONT informs you of the major change that this update brings and to read the site news and again, where you're actually told all your mods will be uninstalled by a prompt that informs you you can cancel without going ahead with the uninstall. Here it is again, for you to read where you messed up on that front. I've highlighted the relevant area:

This new version of NMM includes a major update to the way we store and install your mods which allows us to accommodate mod profiling (different profiles for different playthroughs of your game).

In order for it to work NMM needs to uninstall all your currently installed mods.

Choose option 'YES' if you would like NMM to attempt to try and reinstall all your currently installed mods using the new method. The migration procedure is a lengthy process and it could require several minutes or even hours depending on your PC speed and quantity and size of your currently installed mods. You may be required to interact with some scripted installers during the reinstall process.

Choose option 'NO' if you want NMM to uninstall all your mods and leave you to activate the ones you use again. (this doesn't delete your mods, it simply deactivates them)

Choose the 'CANCEL' option if you would like to cancel this setup and not proceed with this new version. You will not be upgraded to this version of NMM!

I'm not blind and I installed it 2 times and I never saw big red font...

In response to post #28766884.

TKHBMVP wrote: OK, can't recommend to do the upgrade/update if you using hundreds or even more active mods. It will not show up the scripted installation mods to select preferences and so on. Also many mods are not installed completely and in the right order. Finally starting Skyrim with obviously all fixed, load screen CTD.
Roll back as described on the Wiki also not working smoothly.
I decided now to take my Excel sheet with the last export of the mods table and install everything from scratch manually to be able to continue my last savegame in a couple of hours.

It won't show the scripted installation cause it will automatically restore your choices.
Also I tried this with my Skyrim installation with more than 400 mods (242 plugins) and it worked like a charm.

It would help everyone if anyone having issues would post in the proper bug report section a detailed report explaining in detail what didn't work as intended.

In response to post #28764094.

Skylarflare wrote: Thanks for breaking my game.
I updated from NMM's in-program update dialog so I had no warning until it was too late.
I tried to click cancel but nooo, that just closed NMM so I couldn't configure any more mods.
Thanks for pulling a Microsoft aka ruining something that was good.

But I'm not going to let this get me down, even though you destroyed hours worth of my time.
I'm going to take this opportunity to do a complete fresh instsall of Skyrim.

So thank you, but.. yeah I think you get the message.

There's a big warning in the installer. And once again when you've installed version 0.60 for the first time and have to choose whether to let NMM attempt to reinstall your mods, start from scratch or cancel the process. Cancelling then lets you roll back to 0.56.1 with no changes made at all.

This was a really big misfire on the development team's part. I understand updating something from beta is trial and error; rng is alive in programs as well not just in games. But there are things that you can moderate. A warning that could be put in bold red, before people click install: "Warning: This mod will force you to uninstall your mods. Click yes to proceed, if not click no to cancel."

If there was a warning somewhere it was probably in the "Read our Terms" clause, something that no one reads if its a wall of text. Normally I make a backup but I assumed it would be a mini update focused on bug fixes. I won't make that mistake again. Out of around 45 mods on DA Origins, about 10 or so I could not install through the manager due to error. Took me about 25 minutes to hunt them down individually and install them, then make sure they all worked together again.

My game worked fine with everything a-okay the 2nd time I loaded a game. I just feel bad for anyone who has 80+ mods across multiple games that uses this manager and thought the update was something very minor.

Edited by Vogyn

In response to post #28764094. #28767064 is also a reply to the same post.

I updated from NMM's in-program update dialog so I had no warning until it was too late.
I tried to click cancel but nooo, that just closed NMM so I couldn't configure any more mods.

But I'm not going to let this get me down, even though you destroyed hours worth of my time.

Dark0ne wrote: There's a big warning in the installer. And once again when you've installed version 0.60 for the first time and have to choose whether to let NMM attempt to reinstall your mods, start from scratch or cancel the process. Cancelling then lets you roll back to 0.56.1 with no changes made at all.

Pushing cancel just forces NMM to exit, when you try to open NMM again the same message comes up asking if you want to reinstall your mods.

In response to post #28767044.

Ravenbear wrote:

Ok I have no tab to allows me to instal the back up file.. And y idea what went wrong.. ?

There's two way to install the backup: one is linked in the news post, near the bottom.
The other one a bit trickier, but should work better with scripted installers is:

1. Open the new NMM, create a new profile, then switch back to the old one and close NMM.
2. Go in Mods/ModProfiles folder, there's some folder with strange names, open the newest (or you can open the ProfileManagerCfg.xml file with a decent texteditor and find out with random name is linked to the profile)
3. Delete its content (not the random name folder!).
4. Go where you set the "VirtualInstall" folder (usually Mods/VirtualInstall ), open the Backup_DONOTDELETE archive and extract everything in it in that random folder you cleaned up.
5. Start the new NMM, switch to that profile, it should now restore everything for you.

If you have more issues please post in the proper report section linked in the news post.

In response to post #28764094. #28767064, #28767184, #28767229 are all replies on the same post.

Dark0ne wrote: There's a big warning in the installer. And once again when you've installed version 0.60 for the first time and have to choose whether to let NMM attempt to reinstall your mods, start from scratch or cancel the process. Cancelling then lets you roll back to 0.56.1 with no changes made at all.
hb877 wrote: Pushing cancel just forces NMM to exit, when you try to open NMM again the same message comes up asking if you want to reinstall your mods.
DuskDweller wrote: If you don't want to use this new version you need to reinstall the previous version.

Yep, so you either click yes, no, or cancel and reinstall version 0.56.1 (or whatever previous version you were using). The cancel is there to give you one last chance to turn back before the change occurs.