Update on NMM version 0.60 and FAQ

Dark0ne

Thank you, Nexus guys, for the wonderful new NMM. Today I successfully updated NMM to v0.60.13 and was ushered into the exciting world of game profiling.

The update was practically effortless, and my Fallout NV game came through unscathed. There was only one hiccup with a zipped file for DarnifiedUI v4, which I was able to remedy quickly. The whole process took about 30 minutes from start to finish and involved 50 mods (some scripted) with 78 plugins.

I did not find the process any more difficult than previous NMM updates where I would encounter an occasional problem.

Please know that I am no arrogant techie boasting of some magnificent accomplishment in an attempt to shame lesser mortals. I know absolutely nothing about programming and software development. (My college majors were philosophy and classical Greek.) However, I have learned through hard experience that mods, modding, and mod organizers are not for the faint of heart. Therefore I did a lot of reading and preparation before updating NMM. When I pressed the commit button, I knew full well what could go wrong, and I knew full well what I would have to do to recover my game.

Edited by Augusta Calidia

• Replies 745
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #29311014.

TLymond wrote:

@darkelfroamer (and others),

By installing it, you agreed to use "not ready for prime-time" software, yet (apparently) didn't take basic precautions.

Perhaps you need a refresher on the meaning of "beta" software:

Beta phase generally begins when the software is feature complete but likely to contain a number of known or unknown bugs.[4] Software in the beta phase will generally have many more bugs in it than completed software, as well as speed/performance issues and may still cause crashes or data loss.

Don't want to help test unfinished code? Don't want to take the risk of messing-up your game? Don't want to be bothered to make a full backup? Don't use a beta version. :armscrossed:

NMM was ALWAYS a beta. No matter which version.

I think that's exactly the point.

Dark0ne's topic announcing the release is even titled "... ready for testing.

Broke my game, uninstalled all mods (121, 95 active in Skyrim alone. Not counting my Fallout series mods) and SKSE including mods on Steam and my game will start. If install just one mod (doesn't matter which Steam or NMM, I tried several as well as benign ones) the game CTD's after Bethesda logo. I haven't even tried my Fallout games.

Ran game cache integrity and fixed one file, still same issue. :ermm:, I Will take KunoMochi's suggestion and roll back, hopefully it will help. I uninstalled SKSE and installed the new one as one of the mods requested it, I may have the previous release somewhere, as the new one is a bit different. Ran LOOT just in case mod order was the issue, no go same problem. Anyone else having CTD issues?

Footnote, no point in complaining But I'm just making note of my issues, checking to see if others have had this problem. If so this is how we find a solution compare notes and see what's different from others to fix the issue. IN the mean time a roll back may be necessary as a quick fix but updates are important and if one out many doesn't work for everyone then it's up to the community to help the devs solve the problem if possible. Some of you may have had a seamless transition but obviously not all.

Yes some of us are techies and if we seem arrogant perhaps it's because we may be able to help! Also as a mod creator on the sight we owe it to help others as well as ourselves to fix issues. Thanks to KunoMochi there is a quick fix, it doesn't fix the bigger issue but at least we have a way back with his info, that way we can move forward. That's what BETA means!

OK Progress but slow in terms of my game. A possible clue. I decided to run the cache check again and fixed another file. Then I decided to install the mods from the earliest first (starting with Steam mods then NMM) and have gotten past the CTD! So as painstakingly tedious as it may be I am actually sorting the install dates from oldest to newest on my original installation computer and following the list down the line on my new system. So far no CTD, this is a possible fix for now instead of rolling back. At least for me. I would rather move forward than backward so I will continue forward. Hope this helps anyone else with the same issue.

In response to post #29501915.

RadoGamer wrote:

OK Progress but slow in terms of my game. A possible clue. I decided to run the cache check again and fixed another file. Then I decided to install the mods from the earliest first (starting with Steam mods then NMM) and have gotten past the CTD! So as painstakingly tedious as it may be I am actually sorting the install dates from oldest to newest on my original installation computer and following the list down the line on my new system. So far no CTD, this is a possible fix for now instead of rolling back. At least for me. I would rather move forward than backward so I will continue forward. Hope this helps anyone else with the same issue.

If you haven't already, do an "*" search on your data folder and sort the results by file size. Broken symlinks have a file size of zero and any mod with visible links is NOT working. Good links are invisible and the game can correctly access their data no matter where it actually is. I'd make sure to re-install all the FOMODS and be sure their scripts actually run correctly. It took me about 6 hours to clean my 173 active mod install up after the conversion flopped. There were still a few purple textures I gave up on tracking down. I'm still getting about 50 or 60 orphan scripts per hour in my save games though, and have had to clean them regularly with SAVETOOL. Obviously their are some things I've missed, but I did manage to successfully finished my last playthrough.

I'm ending up doing a complete reinstall anyway, and for now I'm going back to .56 since I've had issues with the new beta dealing with file editing and Disk IO speed in game. I'll likely try it again when I get ready to mod with FO4 - though I'll be sure to do it on a NEW backup this time. ;)

@C0deZero (you're sooooo cool with your l33t-speak username):

People who are "not an avid modder" have no business installing and using BETA software released "for TESTING".

If you can't be bothered to read instructions and take basic precautions (can you even spell "backup"?) that's on you.

Hi,

I'm also one who has his game break after the update.

Fortunately I was able to revert my database and NMM from backups.

Unfortunately, you don't provide links to old versions of NMM for people like me who can't use this update.

IMHO, nexusmods made a huge mistake in requiring uninstall/reinstall of all mods.

Many of us have extreme custom games, and recreating it is very difficult and time-consuming.

And for some reason, the makers of NMM did not account for that at all.

The new version of NMM has effectively stopped me from using your product.

just thought you might like to know.

The links to the old versions have been posted over and over and over. All of the old versions are right where they have always been - at the bottom of the same page you are supposed to read when you download the latest version. - You will need to scroll all the way to the bottom of the page - where you will find a line that says. Previous Builds and right under that a Spoiler block - for those who really don't know what a spoiler tag is - click directly on that spoiler block and the old versions will magically appear - they have always been there. Out of the way until needed.

http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/896029-nexus-mod-manager-release-notes-and-download-links/

For those who didn't read the warning and panicked when things didn't work like they thought they should and insist the new version is broken ( it's not, it works fine for many people.)

KunoMochi has written a very good procedure to revert to your old game - and like the location of the old versions, he has posted it over and over and over.

http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/3299645-060-completely-destroyed-my-game/?p=29509625