[LE] Change timescale during dialogue

So I've searched all over but never found anything like this and I wanted to know if it was possible. Basically I picked up Oblivion several months ago and I enjoyed how the game would pause during dialogue, so I didn't have to worry about wasting my day talking to one person. I kind of want something similar in Skyrim, only say, just slowing down the timescale during dialogue. So if I have my timescale set to default, 20, then it only passes at a speed of 10 during dialogue. (This is honestly kind of made necessary with Interesting NPCs since they talk FOREVER and take up half my day with talking.) I don't want to request this or anything, I'd much rather make it myself - just wondering if, theoretically, it might be possible to make something like this in Creation Kit or whatever.

You could probably use SM Event Node manager using Actor Dialogue Event or Player Activate Actor event to fire a simple startup and shutdown quest.

In the quest have a stage that fires on startup using a qf fragment script that sets timescale global variable to your preferred scale, when the dialogue is exited, go to exit stage and set the timescale back again and shut down quest.

You'll probably need to do some small checks or use SM Node conditions to be sure the player is in dialogue as well when exiting dialogue.

Be pretty straight forward.

I might have brief sample play with it myself when I get home later today.

Edited by sLoPpYdOtBiGhOlE

mfancy I'm not entirely sure how to "take a look at their script." I've got the file open in Creation Kit now but I don't know where to look to see what they've altered... is there something I'm missing?

sLoPpYdOtBiGhOlE Thanks, I'm playing with it now, hopefully I can find something that will work. I'm kinda unfamiliar with everything in Creation Kit not related to making/editing an NPC, haha.

Edited by nalathequeen2186

mfancy I'm not entirely sure how to "take a look at their script." I've got the file open in Creation Kit now but I don't know where to look to see what they've altered... is there something I'm missing?

sLoPpYdOtBiGhOlE Thanks, I'm playing with it now, hopefully I can find something that will work. I'm kinda unfamiliar with everything in Creation Kit not related to making/editing an NPC, haha.

You'll want to look at their loose files or unpack the bsa in the files you downloaded. That should have the script files you can open up and read, they're pex files. Heres how to read them. It looks like the mod is a little out of date, though. Might want to start from scratch with some help with a few of the great scripters here.

Well I had a play.
My original idea failed miserably, but another simple way is use an empty game start enabled quest.
Attach a script.
In the script OnInit() event use RegisterForMenu("Dialogue Menu")
Then you can catch the open and close events of the players dialogue, setting the timescale as needed.

Works fine from the brief I tried of it.
Can post a working example if needed.

Edited by sLoPpYdOtBiGhOlE

I'm... a little lost on that.

I tried to create a script? I think I did it right? But when I try to make it it says "The extends script does not exist, please pick a new one" and all the fixes I've been looking up basically say that I need to extract scripts from scripts.rar except that folder seems to literally just not exist for me and I'm getting really frustrated....

Like, I haven't done anything in the Creation Kit before apart from creating and altering NPCs. And the wiki makes no sense to me. I'm really just blundering my way through all this.

Well I tried verifying cache to see if it got deleted somehow - nothing happened but now I'm getting this when I try to load the master files:

Assert

File: ..\TES Shared\misc\BGSLocalizedString.cpp

Line: 2871

LOCALIZATION: Error opening or reading strings file.

No matter what I do, if I press Abort, Retry, or Ignore - no matter what Creation Kit crashes shortly afterwards.

I'm so beyond done trying to get this stupid program to f*#@ing work