Beginner To Modding Custom Armor

Deleted2021903User

Hello there,

I am a newbie in the process of trying to learn how to create my own custom armor for Skyrim. I have downloaded Blender 2.76, NifSkope 2.0 alpha, and GIMP. So far in this learning process I have been able to import the maleheadkhajiit.nif and malebody_0.nif files from Nifskope to Blender. However when doing so, the image of these objects in Blender are all dark and enlarged that it requires zooming out to the maximum limits of Blender.

I am using this guide to help me learn this process: http://wiki.tesnexus.com/index.php/Creating_an_armour_for_Skyrim._Part_1

For both nif files, I did follow the directions of editing the NiHeader settings and removing the BSLightingShaderProperty.

Since I have never attempted any such modding and am unfamiliar with Blender and NifSkope, can anyone tell me why these imported nifs are not appearing gray as shown in these image:

http://wiki.tesnexus.com/images/3/32/Step03.jpg

I know I have quite a long way to go on this project of mine. My goal is to create one unique armor set with 4k textures and maybe with a corresponding sword.

Thanks.

What does the "Since I have never attempted any such modding and am unfamiliar with Blender and NifSkope, can anyone tell me why these imported nifs are not appearing gray as shown in these image:" mean? What other color are you getting...got a screenshot? I assume the screenshot above is what you expect to see?

I've been learning blender for about a month so I'm no expert, but when I was porting in Witcher 3 armors, I got a similar black texture problem.

It was because Blender couldn't load the texture because they had #'s in the their name that they couldn't read it. Try renaming the .dds files and reassign them to new materials to see if it works?

Also, are you in textured mode when you are getting the black head? Solid mode doesn't read the textures--that's why its always grey.

EDIT: As for the huge size of the head, did you try to resize it? Click on the mesh or press A to select all. Then hit S to scale it.

Edited by sumojellybean

This is caused by Blender not being able to find the textures for the NIF when Viewport Shading is set to "Rendered". Set it to "Solid" and the model will appear gray as you're expecting.

As for the size - I don't know. I tried it out and got the same thing but I don't know if that's normal or not for this version of Blender, because I use 2.49. Bear in mind that the scripts for the more recent versions of Blender are experimental. This may be an issue or it could be completely normal.

Also the new scripts have Skyrim support built in, so you don't need to pre-edit the NIFs in NifSkope anymore. You only need to do that with Blender 2.49.

Also, the pic you posted in the OP is from 3DSMax.

Edit: oops you posted while I was typing ^_^. I don't know if you should scale it. Find out first if this is normal behaviour with the new Blender. I think in any circumstances arbitrary scaling is a bad idea.

Edited by RabidGears

No problem. I failed A LOT in the first two weeks to get my first armor done. When you're done your first one, things get a lot easier, so don't give up. =)

Also:

You might want to scale it a bit smaller? Looking at the grid, the head is still big compared to the sizes of the heads and bodies I usually port in. I use Blender 2.49b so that's why it maybe different.

I think this is the same for Khajiit heads, but if you're making a helmet or hood, don't export the head mesh or delete it in nifskope after you exported it. If the head is attached to the armor, it will override the character's face otherwise with the featureless head mesh.

Edited by sumojellybean