⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

Who's a pretty boy then? Man cuts off his ears to look like a parrot

kvnchrist

I do feel that there is something horribly wrong here. But I think we are all focusing on the wrong side of the equation.

Im happy that this guy can make himself look like a parrot, or a devil, or a whatever.

Im concerned with why. Why does a man get his ears cut off? Why does a woman voluntarily get her ribs broken and reset incorrectly, just to have a smaller waist? Why do we have the Human Barbie Dolls? (yes, there's now supposedly more than one)

In a world that has fought so hard for 30+ years to combat poor self-image; fighting anorexia and bulimia, no one ever thought to question what drove these others to such painful disfiguration and dehumanization of themselves. People cried and complained and cared when beautiful blond cheerleader Sally was eating only 3 lettuce leaves a day to keep herself "skinny", but no one cared or bothered to ask why her sister Cindy was dying her hair black, painting her lips, fingers and toes black, and ramming metal spikes through any body part that stuck out.

No one asks why Lenard files his teeth into fangs, and tattooed his body to look like scales, and thinks he he is a snake. We wont even ask whats up with devil boy. (google devil boy body piercings) These people claim to be seeking self-expression, and I would normally applaud that. But what happened that has these people pushing so hard to ostracize themselves from the rest of humanity? Yes they want to shock and stand out, but they are doing so in a way that pretty much guarantees they will never be allowed back. And when you talk to these individuals, most are not so crazy or ignorant as to be unaware of the effects, both short and long term, of their actions. So what is driving them to this? What makes them want to be eternal outcasts and exiles?

To me, this is the question that we should be asking. What is wrong with society that these people want to permanently leave? Is the problem in their self image? Is it some pressure of society to conform that we arent aware of? (and there cant be too many of those left in this day of hyper-sensitivity) Do they see something fundamentally lacking? and if so, what?

There are too many, in too may different cultures, around the world doing this. We should probably start asking why.

"Eccentric Mr Richards has given his severed ears to a friend who "will appreciate them"

I'm a little bummed I didn't get his ears. I really thought we had some special connection.

@dpg-I think you maybe answered your own question in a way. Pretty blonde cheerleader is still eating the three lettuce leaves because it is still pretty blonde cheerleader who needs to eat only those three lettuce leaves to be accepted fully.

Oh sure, there are a few people that say and actually do accept folks just how they are....to a point. But we all base judgement on the outer sugary coating if it is the skinny blonde cheerleader or her goth, TSA-worrisome sister. We prefer one to the other typically and pass at lease an initial litmus test with how someone looks. Body image, if anything is worse than when I grew up in the 70s thanks to 24 hour news, the Kardashians and the horrible thing that is Social Media while in high school. Used to be you knew most people lost those year books and wouldn't maybe remember than bad choice of prom dress and too-tan skin but now its out there in cyber-space for everyone to see..forever.

And we don't ask why because no one wants to know. Each generation wants to think they are a bit more progressive than the last. Just because one is slightly more accepting of how much metal is in one's face that the generation before really doesn't mean much. I have actually found myself more conservative than I was just 10 years ago when it comes to things. Maybe that is because I have kids and a daughter? Regardless there are always something that is the "norm" and something that is not. There will always be those that feel the need to push and those who will hide behind those granny panties. It doesn't make society as a whole any more accepting of one thing over another and I honestly don't think until we are all just creatures of pure energy that will change. Even then I am sure some will complain that Johnny down at the end of the block shines far too brightly for his own good.