From AMD Fx8350 to Core i7 6700k - Now less FPS

slowman87

I upgraded my PC from an amd fx8350 to a skylake intel i7 6700k, maybe the best processor for gaming. I was expecting to have the best experience with skyrim but nope, I have a better consistent performance, stability and less drops, but have less FPS compared to de AMD Fx8350. My Video Card is an Nvidia GTX 970. The FPS doesnt go up more than 43. and keeps on an average of 35-37FPS. With my FX8350 I reached +50 FPS in some conditions on exteriors.

Also I had reinstalled windows 10, configured my Nvidia Control panel, and all the other configurations like the skyrim.ini files and skyrimprefs.ini are the same, my game is pretty heavy modded more than 250 plugins, but I was playing nice with the FX8350.

Also I found that turning off the ENB the FPS goes up to 60FPS and keeps stable so I think the problem maybe is the ENB and my nvidia control panel settings.

I have tried anything, including turn off Vsync totally, tweaking my .ini files, and tested a lot step by step, looking for improves, like lowing my Anisotropic Filtering, but it doesn't improve my FPS.

Please help :sad:

I upgraded my PC from an amd fx8350 to a skylake intel i7 6700k, maybe the best processor for gaming. I was expecting to have the best experience with skyrim but nope, I have a better consistent performance, stability and less drops, but have less FPS compared to de AMD Fx8350. My Video Card is an Nvidia GTX 970. The FPS doesnt go up more than 43. and keeps on an average of 35-37FPS. With my FX8350 I reached +50 FPS in some conditions on exteriors.

Also I had reinstalled windows 10, configured my Nvidia Control panel, and all the other configurations like the skyrim.ini files and skyrimprefs.ini are the same, my game is pretty heavy modded more than 250 plugins, but I was playing nice with the FX8350.

Also I found that turning off the ENB the FPS goes up to 60FPS and keeps stable so I think the problem maybe is the ENB and my nvidia control panel settings.

I have tried anything, including turn off Vsync totally, tweaking my .ini files, and tested a lot step by step, looking for improves, like lowing my Anisotropic Filtering, but it doesn't improve my FPS.

What ENB are you using and where are you setting your AA and AF values?

Its definitely something with your settings. I have a 3570k at 4.2ghz and can run vividian ENB the quality version at 50 fps on average and its very smooth. Hardly any stutter.

Same GPU as you running at stock speeds.

If ever in doubt about the performance of your hardware just run a benchmark and compare your scores to people with the same hardware. That way you know its not your hardware and can focus on the game and settings.

I always benchmark my new stuff to make sure im getting the performance im supposed to.

run firestrike, 3dmark, cinebench, unigine, make sure your scores are around where they should be. Good peace of mind knowing that your computer itself is performing as it should. Then if you have issues in a game.....you know its not your hardware.

for reference with my overclocked cpu and stock gtx 970 my score in firestrike was 10000 overall and some change. 78% better than all scores.

Hi, thanks, anything could help, I am using Realvision ENB, my Anti-alias is set to application controlled, the anisotropic filtering is set to application controlled, and ambient occlusion is set to Disabled.

Also i have disabled Vsync from skyrim and from the ENB, but I am forcing it by the nvidia control panel, disabling it by complete doesn't help my performance.

Its definitely something with your settings. I have a 3570k at 4.2ghz and can run vividian ENB the quality version at 50 fps on average and its very smooth. Hardly any stutter.

Same GPU as you running at stock speeds.

If ever in doubt about the performance of your hardware just run a benchmark and compare your scores to people with the same hardware. That way you know its not your hardware and can focus on the game and settings.

I always benchmark my new stuff to make sure im getting the performance im supposed to.

run firestrike, 3dmark, cinebench, unigine, make sure your scores are around where they should be. Good peace of mind knowing that your computer itself is performing as it should. Then if you have issues in a game.....you know its not your hardware.

for reference with my overclocked cpu and stock gtx 970 my score in firestrike was 10000 overall and some change. 78% better than all scores.

Thank you I'm going to install those programs, I had them before, but this is a new windows installation, so it's a start from scratch. I will let you know both, if I figure out how to fix it.

Hi, thanks, anything could help, I am using Realvision ENB, my Anti-alias is set to application controlled, the anisotropic filtering is set to application controlled, and ambient occlusion is set to Disabled.

Also i have disabled Vsync from skyrim and from the ENB, but I am forcing it by the nvidia control panel, disabling it by complete doesn't help my performance.

What about the skyrim launcher settings? Realvision requires you to have the following:

-Antialiasing OFF (Best Performance)

-Anisotropic Filtering OFF (Best Performance)

-FXAA UNCHECKED.

Mmm ill pm you my INIs in a little bit, just update it it to your gfx card. Have to be an optimizarion problem.

Also turn off vsync in CP and wnable ipresentinterval in SKs ini and also force it enblocal. Ive been down that track before, this will ensure no tearing even at 60fps which can occur.

Next thing you want to try is to set waitbusyrender in enblocal to true, see if having a framebuffer of 0 speeds up your fps (this does that.) NOTE - eventually we want this setting off.

Hi I have tested everything you said, and everything I could, like turning on-off the Vsync, disabling Ambient occlusion of ENB, everything, downing the quality of ENB grafics, the only thing works is turning off the ENB, what is weird, is that is the same settings I used on my old AMD fx8350, and when the ENB is turned off seems like the FPS are locked to 43 frames, I only get more FPS indors or by looking to the sky, but its weird it is almost always 43 FPS, its a strange pattern, but there is no FPS limit activated, I have checked that many times.

Also I reinstalled My ENB, and updated it. Thank you for your help, if you have any suggestion please let me know.

Dis you try getting rid of Hyper-threading in bios? If Skyrim open 2 threads for rendering but they are in one core thats split, it would make sense this halves performance. It does on my 3960x anyway.

Also, go somewhere where the 42fps is at, ooen the console, open the enb profiler dropdown and tell me what numbers are next to draw call count and the one below it. One shoukd be a few thousand the other in the millions, possibly hundred ks