Playing Oblivion, Nexus NMM doesn't open it

ssalt

So do I have a problem?

A small window opens with the message 'Application load error 5.000006665434'

I have tied to install OBSE but I might of made a mess of it. I am doing my best as I am only a slightly techy 66 year old mum with a 41 year old IT son making his own way in the world.

I can't drag him back here for every single thing so I do my best.

Yes my computer is very capable of running Skyrim or Oblivion, or Landmark even (Landmark is not related to the Elderscrolls but it's a very large game so just used as an example)

I am considering a clean uninstall right now but I thought that I would ask here first..

Only 1 mod right now, the Tardis home (Ok so I am a big Dr Who fan :D ) lol

I tried to make that active but all I see in the place where the Tardis should be is a big yellow form, so I deactivated it.

I posted this in the wrong forum, my apologise.

How did you install OBSE? It can't be installed with a mod manager ... the instructions on which files to copy are in obse_readme.txt along with details on how to start the game with OBSE (which differs depending on whether you are using the disk version of the game or the Steam version).

I downloaded it manually but I was pretty sure that I have done it wrong, now I am sure that I have. Ok I will undo the mess and restart and read the instructions that come with it, I thought it was like SKSE and used the same tool to open it as Skyrim.

I'll let you know how things work out or yell for my son poor lad lol

Download version 0021 from here and save to a folder. Extract the downloaded ZIP file to that same folder. You will then see seven files and two folders (one of those files being the aforementioned obse_readme.txt). The folder named "src" can be ignored, it just contains the OBSE source code that is used for people creating OBSE plugins. What you'll need is the Data folder and obse_1_2_416.dll, obse_editor_1_2.dll and obse_loader.exe if you use the disk version of the game or the Data folder and obse_1_2_416.dll, obse_editor_1_2.dll and obse_steam_loader.dll if you use the Steam version of the game.

Those will all be copied to the Bethesda Softworks\Oblivion folder in your game install. Simplest way is to use the right mouse click menu. Right click on the file or folder you wish to copy and select "Copy" from the right click menu. Navigate in Windows Explorer to your game's Oblivion folder, right click on Oblivion and select "Paste" from the right click menu. If you do this with the Data folder first you will get a prompt about there already is a folder named Data if you are pasting into the correct folder. If you don't get that prompt you are pasting into the wrong folder. It is safe to answer "Yes to All" when prompted as all you will be doing is merging the contents of the OBSE Data folder with your game's current Data folder (if you look inside the OBSE Data folder you will see it contains a subfolder named OBSE which contains a single file named obse.ini ... neither the OBSE subfolder nor obse.ini existed in the vanilla game). Then you just need to copy the files that are appropriate for your version of the game into that same Oblivion folder.

Instructions on how to start the game with OBSE differ depending on whether you use the disk or Steam version, and I'm not sure how you would start the game with OBSE using NMM (though if you use the Steam version of the game it will probably just work right off the bat once the Steam version of OBSE is installed).

There is another problem, I have an Oblivion folder in program files>steam>steamapps>common>Oblivion And

localdisc ©>games>nexusmod manager

Could that be causing a problem and which one should I be using for OBSE and my mods?

The recommended location for Steam and Oblivion is a folder that is outside of User Account Control (UAC) interference but plenty of people manage to get things working without moving their Steam and Oblivion install locations to something like C:\Games. Having your game installed where UAC could cause problems makes troubleshooting a bit more difficult for someone who can't look over your shoulder and see exactly what you are doing when trying to fix things (i.e did that troubleshooting step not work because of how it was done or because of UAC interference or because it wasn't the right troubleshooting step). I suggest we work around any possible UAC issues until it become apparent no progress is being made.

Since you are on Steam you should have C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\Common\Oblivion\obse_1_2_416.dll, obse_editor_1_2.dll and obse_steam_loader.dll along with C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\Common\Oblivion\Data\OBSE\obse.ini.

A couple more points to confirm. You say I have an Oblivion folder in program files>steam>steamapps>common>Oblivion ... do you mean you have two Oblivion folders (i.e. C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\Common\Oblivion\Oblivion)? Also what operating system are you running ... Windows XP?

A couple more points to confirm. You say I have an Oblivion folder in program files>steam>steamapps>common>Oblivion ... do you mean you have two Oblivion folders (i.e. C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\Common\Oblivion\Oblivion)? Also what operating system are you running ... Windows XP?

Yes there is and I have no idea how this has happened.

The instructions you gave me were followed exactly only the mod still isn't active, and I have stopped trying you use the Nexus Mod Manager to load Oblivion.

The Steam overlay was already allowed because I do use it a lot, it's also another way of keeping in touch with my son.

So clarifying: I load the game using Steam, the overlay is active, the mod isn't working, and I can't seem to get OBSE to work.

My idea is to now delete Oblivion from my computer, and the other downloads. After that delete any Oblivion folders left and hope that when it's installed again that it just creates one folder? IS this wise?

Most mod managers offer a way to start the game from within the mod manager but that doesn't mean you need to start the game that way. Same as I'm pretty sure you could start the Steam version of the game from a desktop shortcut providing you set up that shortcut correctly. I prefer to not start the game from within a manager simply because I want one less thing to troubleshoot if I run into problems.

The second Oblivion folder could possibly just be an empty one that got created by mistake some time. If you look in the first Oblivion folder (i.e. C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\Common\Oblivion) and you see files named OblivionLauncher.exe and Oblivion.exe and then look in the second Oblivion folder (i.e. C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\Common\Oblivion\Oblivion) and see that it is empty then the second Oblivion folder can safely be deleted. If the second Oblivion folder has any files or folders in it don't delete, just report what you find there (the contents of that second Oblivion folder may give clues to how it got there).

Uninstalling the game and starting over will depend on how comfortable you are at re-installing games from Steam. I can't be of any help there as I'm a non-Steam type myself.

Also you didn't answer ... are you running on Windows XP or one of the more recent versions of Windows (the reason I ask is that you say Program Files and not Program Files(x86), and if you are in fact running XP then we don't have any worries about UAC and where the game is installed).

Edited by Striker879

Sorry I honestly missed that question, I am on Windows 7 and there are 2folders, 1 is just called program files and the other is program files(x86) the first one I don't touch. Most of the files I need to access are in the Program files(x86) folder.

Games is just C drive>games>Oblivion and I remembered why there was a second folder last night and it will be deleted. My son installed a version of Oblivion there from disc but it didn't load up for me so I bought a version from Steam.

I have deleted and reloaded games from Steam several times in the past to solve various problems but I leave doing that until nothing else works.

Before I do anything though I need to know where's the best place to have Oblivion installed?