Playing Oblivion, Nexus NMM doesn't open it

ssalt

The best place is a folder that you have created that is not inside Program Files or Program Files(x86). The most common choice of naming is C:\Games. For Steam users though that means moving your Steam installation location as it's commonly installed in C:\Program Files(x86)\Steam and so all Steam games wind up in Program Files(x86).

Here's a link to Bben46's wiki article Oblivion reinstall procedure. Don't miss the link near the top of the page about moving your Steam install location. It's also important to follow the registry cleaning steps.

After you get everything re-installed make sure to test the game before adding anything, even OBSE. Run through the tutorial and exit the sewers and make sure all is running properly. Then add OBSE using the Steam version instructions. You will know that OBSE is working after you've installed it by checking your Saves folder (found in Users\[username]\Documents\My Games\Oblivion). If OBSE is working you will now see two saves each time you save after installing OBSE, one with the .ess file extension and one with .obse (for example MySave07.ess and MySave07.obse). If you have Windows Explorer set to hide file extensions no problem ... if you see two files with the same name you're good. You could right click and select Properties to easily see the full file name if you wish.

The best place is a folder that you have created that is not inside Program Files or Program Files(x86). The most common choice of naming is C:\Games. For Steam users though that means moving your Steam installation location as it's commonly installed in C:\Program Files(x86)\Steam and so all Steam games wind up in Program Files(x86).

Here's a link to Bben46's wiki article Oblivion reinstall procedure. Don't miss the link near the top of the page about moving your Steam install location. It's also important to follow the registry cleaning steps.

After you get everything re-installed make sure to test the game before adding anything, even OBSE. Run through the tutorial and exit the sewers and make sure all is running properly. Then add OBSE using the Steam version instructions. You will know that OBSE is working after you've installed it by checking your Saves folder (found in Users\[username]\Documents\My Games\Oblivion). If OBSE is working you will now see two saves each time you save after installing OBSE, one with the .ess file extension and one with .obse (for example MySave07.ess and MySave07.obse). If you have Windows Explorer set to hide file extensions no problem ... if you see two files with the same name you're good. You could right click and select Properties to easily see the full file name if you wish.

Thank you for your patience with me Striker, I will do exactly as you say when I do a re install, but I have a feeling that I might be asking my son for help with some of that. Strange how instructions sound complex until you have done it over and over lol

No problem ... gives me something to keep that big gray lump on top of my shoulders from turning to mush. If your son has any questions I'll do my best to answer. When I had to do a re-install due to a hard drive failure I was surprised at how many little details I missed and had to go back and correct.

Maybe someday I'll do a wiki article ... Striker's Extremely Detailed and Complicated Re-Install Procedure, or something to that effect.

I have an old but heavily used Oblivion uninstall/reinstall that I made some years ago specifically for a disk version on XP. Most of it will be the same on newer Windows and some will apply to Steam versions. If you are going to remove the game and reinstall there are some things that are not intuitive that will screw things up. For instance, uninstalling the game does not actually uninstall everything. :pinch:

Here is a direct link on my own blog site where I maintain it since someone edited the Nexus WIKI version with an unauthorized edit that removed an important step :rolleyes: (since fixed)

http://s1.zetaboards.com/bbenlibrary/topic/4308533/1/#new

You are welcome to use it or abuse it however you choose.

Striker, You have my permission to use any of it you want in your own "Striker's Extremely Detailed and Complicated Re-Install Procedure" No credit required as I cribbed most of it from other older sources anyway. :thumbsup:

Only problem with me doing that Bben is mostly concerning the day I have picked to do it ... someday never seems to appear on any calander I've checked. Perhaps I should resolve to do it tomorrow, as that's another day that never arrives.