Discussion about the rights of androids

Northwain

I think it is strange that the Institute goes to such lengths to create sythetic beings, going so far as using Shawns DNA in order to make them as close to Human as possible (I am assuming they use the DNA to help fabricate the brain of the synth as well), only to turn around upon their creation and say they are simply machines.

If the goal was to create slaves why program them with feelings, fears, love etc.. it truly makes no sense. Unless these emotions ( or at least their actions that seem to perfectly mimic emotions) developed on their own, which makes a very strong case that the synths are in fact sentient beings.

These issues are not fleshed out well in the story, so for me I took the leap that the synths who wants to be free from the Institute (as well as those series 3's who chose to stay) must have developed a sense of "self", and since the Institute would never have purposely programmed in a defiant nature it must have arisen from a "who am I?" and "what do I want?" line of reasoning that arise solely from having an brain advanced enough to create a conscious sense of "self".

I think it is strange that the Institute goes to such lengths to create sythetic beings, going so far as using Shawns DNA in order to make them as close to Human as possible (I am assuming they use the DNA to help fabricate the brain of the synth as well), only to turn around upon their creation and say they are simply machines.

If the goal was to create slaves why program them with feelings, fears, love etc.. it truly makes no sense. Unless these emotions ( or at least their actions that seem to perfectly mimic emotions) developed on their own, which makes a very strong case that the synths are in fact sentient beings.

These issues are not fleshed out well in the story, so for me I took the leap that the synths who wants to be free from the Institute (as well as those series 3's who chose to stay) must have developed a sense of "self", and since the Institute would never have purposely programmed in a defiant nature it must have arisen from a "who am I?" and "what do I want?" line of reasoning that arise solely from having an brain advanced enough to create a conscious sense of "self".

I have been wondering about that myself. Maybe to make perfect humans as the builders of the wiped wasteland.

Edited by Boombro

The game could have really gone more into why Synths were increasingly being made to be more sentient.

Anyways, @Boombro, I played my character as pretty hardcore Brotherhood of Steel. Wiping out Synths was a given but you run into a few caveats. You mention Nick. A great example and when I first ran into him I was surprised. Great character BTW and his story arc is pretty damn long. There are others though.

Curie - Starts out as a simple robot but when she moves into a Synth body, the closest she'll ever be to human, you can see her expanding experiences.

Paladin Danse - This was the shocker for me in the storyline. For FO4, Paladin Danse was the embodiment of what the Brotherhood of Steel was. He lived, breathed, spoke, and tried to imbue the Brotherhood's values into you. Finding out that he was a Synth was a massive shock and being sent to deal with him by fiery Elder Maxson was very conflicting. Danse didn't even know he was a Synth until the very last minute. Thankfully I had a very charismatic character and I came up with a "both ways" solution. Until Danse found out he was a Synth, he thought himself to be human. I spoke, travelled, fought alongside Danse thinking he was human. He carried out missions on behalf of the Brotherhood and believed in their ideals. The memory implants he had seemed so real that he sincerely believed he personally experienced them. He was also quite willing to be executed by you since it would have held up the Brotherhood's values against Synths. Again, thankfully high Charisma came to a compromise.

I think there's missed opportunity in dealing with the far more sentient Gen 3 Synths. The Railroad is about saving them. I have not followed the Institute arc so I can't comment on them. The Brotherhood wants them destroyed yet you're walking around with Nick, who won't even hide he's one, and those certain characters I mentioned in the spoiler tag.