⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

Geck crashing on weapon edit

JoePozlander

so relocate the steam folder?

I'm going to give you a crash course in steam relocational skills.

1. log into steam through your Browser "not steam"
  2. rename stems folder by adding and charactes een the first letter is enough.
  3. pick where you intend to "reinstall steam too" because you are goign do this If you want a clean setup.
  4. If another drive, a USB drive large enough to hold all content..Drive location is enough to tell steam where to install it's self.
  5. Steam will install and update it's self but prior to doing any of this, you must have steam turned off and logged out, not icons sittting in th esystems tray can be there.
  6. when steam finises and pops up for further details, close it down completly,
  7. go to the renamed "your Original steam folder" ;and copy the entire steam folder to the new location, "Allow overwrite all" reboot.
  8. go to the new location and launch steam...now steam will either automaticly log you in or ask for a 2 stage confirmation..VIA E-mail.
  9. now your all set. run a game to test it out.

Kitty B.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel for you, really i do, news not so bad, I went out today, bought anotehr slim Hdrive 1tb and reinstalled both versions of windows 7 Pro, one 32bit, dual boot 64.

currently setting up a new platform for tools only. windows 10..lays system wide waste to things we used to take for granted, as legit.

Legitimates have changed for the worse meaning if the-data scanned does not pass Microsoft's signature Musters, it gets deleted or set disabled.

Looking into these issues to date, security seems to be the-mother of all god weapons used against the General public. windows 10 does not have support for assets needed in most games. you need to download legitimatized replacements on your own from them (MS) in order to obtain an equal balance.

games used software in windows 7 all versions that are not installed / removed from windows 10 ALL VERSIONS.

what makes the differences are the base structures of that upgrade process. If your one that avoided use of window's(UPDATE) you will for sure be missing updates...had it disabled, the very data windows 10 copies over into it's use, the 10 setup signs the data / writes digital signatures to signing MS software's you have only...but will delete data not signed or set as Obsolete By them in the setup processes.

this means you need to really know-what to do, how to be ready. back up your stuff. Is your visual basic's up to date. Vista..has zero support for today's machines. Legacy software and hardware are considered Obsolete...this Obsolescent information is-in windows 10 system built into the help system under admin tools.

your only reason based on your post's points to all of this. so, last resort, turn on all .net accessories available to you in controls /programs.

permissions, ownership's, read only attributes are the only thing legit games will fail to work.

one exception...LOL, that hard drive being upgraded may not have survived the transition to 10. the disc is tired. If the data is nonoperational..something is bad some place or is not allowed to even run. so. control/ administrator tools, system event manager. clear all logs, reboot. go directly to the geck, fire it up as the first process in session, pick a weapon, attempt to edit. crash, read the-event and screen shot the errors posted by the system for me to read.

there isn't much more I can offer.

Edited by Purr4me

okay that last one i was a little fuzzy on what you are asking maybe cuz its 6am for me lol. but to be clear this is a completely new computer that has had no other OS but 10 i got all permissions granted for geck and steam too. ill check my updates to be sure there are none but everything seems up to snuff

windows 8 - 10 requires permissions to be set and checked twice, 10, the sequence is a bit different, and deeper, nasty OS.

How ever, I managed to duplicate the issue..prevent GECK from working, has a shield assigned to it too.

How I removed the bug on the software was to make a fake folder, place only the root files, a fake DATA folder and the master file in that.

to do this, I renamed the Orignial main game folder so the system or steam does not "see it" but focus was on the Orginal name.

trick the Os into thinking the fake folder is the real deal.

looked ant it, ran geck, fails... On the fakes main folder, brought up properties, security tab. and advanced tabs.

I removed all assigned authorized users from use of the folder. this placed locks on all the fakes in the folder. increased security 10 fold so nothing works.

rebooted, went back and repeated the procedure on that folder, in the sub authorizing, sub tabs, you get to browse for users, picked "every one" as authorized to have full editing privileges. rechecked after another reboot. when I was done, the fake folders has access "full" privileges to edit files.

the little shields on the icons were now gone. Permissions in the new system are very tight. you have to dace around the settings to get back authorized use.

the geck nor the game are at fault, it's the OS.

if you require steps, seek out Google MS tech support about reassigning permissions on folders.

remember, you need to make sure it's done twice and not change inheritance after verifying settings. Nasty operating system .

it sneaks in there and does this garbage.

pretty much...the permissions bug in any windows system is caused by enabling group rules or software installs that do it, in any case, this issue is very common. there really is no way to know until things are posted, impossible to fix "posts" as your self.

exhausted attempts shows this. windows updates these kinds of things so a update could be the cause. keep in mind, windows is an office program for PC's

yep that's how we do it...trick the system.

Ah just an update that explains the situation further while actually helping no one at all and possibly making it even more confusing.

Editing ANYTHING BUT weapons works perfectly fine.

Try to edit a weapon though, and kaputz.

And the fact I've already edited the folder permissions means that it's not a permission conflict. At least in my case.

I've already given up though so whatev.

Edited by Lobust