Geck crashing on weapon edit

JoePozlander

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can add some more info. I WAS able to edit weapon after installing PowerUp (just put it there, no "proper things" with system or what), before i just can't edit anything. But after i add one more master to plugin - I can't edit weapon anymore. I can believe in bad .nif, but why it crash with "instruction... bla-bla... memory can't be written" on ANY weapon? Even with load just one master FalloutNV.esm without active plugin (new plugin)? I tried to cut off all new meshes and textures (just rename dirs into meshes.bak and textures.bak, so game and Geck use original files from *.bsa archives)... and.. you know... IT WORKS DAMN IT!!!

So, can someone tell me, where GECK can report bad meshes? There are hundreds of them...

P.S.: To avoid misunderstanding and so on: Win7x64, Steam, default install path (ProgramFilesx86, system drive), no dances with access rights, default installed Win7 (no updates for year - hate autoupdates and all works without them this year just fine) without any tuning at all...

Edited by CptSmolett

I am having this same exact issue. Was working fine yesterday so I don't know what the problem is. Now I can edit anything on GECK *EXCEPT* weapons.

I am able to browse the brief overview of all the weapons on any master files and the preview function works as I can see the correct 3D model that responds to the nif files but the GECK freezes when I hit edit.

It is not a user issue for me because I am running Win7 on administration already.

Interesting note: If I start up the GECK without loading any master files, I can edit the "Fists" or "GasTrapDummy" files with no problems. Only after I load a single master files does this occur.

*UPDATE* - I uninstalled all my mods and I was able to edit weapons again on the FalloutNV master file.

Edited by fmonster

I'm sorry I'm not sure I understood everything you said.

Just as notes:

NVAC is a tool for the game itself, it doesn't work for the geck.

NVSE is a script extender, this means scripters have much more functions , but this doesn't interfere on anything else.

Geck power up gives errors, this is a great tool, but it doesn't interfere neither on any geck crash. (except if it tells something about it)

A great tool that avoids nicely geck crashes is CFF explorer.

To edit a weapon , select a vanilla weapon, open its window, like the pic above, rename it by changing the ID, then edit what you want.

As always *pardon my french*

Don't edit that way, do not right clic on a weapon but open the window of the weapon you want to edit, do all the modifications you want, and then , or change the ID to create a new object or just valide. This will close the window and the weapon is edited.

Editing any weapon crashes the GECK. Can't even open the window. That is the point of this whole thread. Not about how to edit weapons.

http://a.pomf.cat/xjjyvi.mp4

Edited by fmonster

fmonster, you do not need to uninstall all your mods, if uninstalling helps. Just rename folder "data/meshes" to "data/meshes.bak", in example, and just in case "data/textures" to "data/textures.bak". Then work with weapons in GECK, save your plugin and rename folders back, by deleting new ".bak" part of their names.

To avoid this routine we need to know, which file is bad (or, maybe, there just too many of them).

P.S.: Modded and new weapons NOT skip models from hidden folders, until you hit edit model button. If you NEED change a model, create new "meshes" folder near just hidden original, place there models you need, keeping path the same to original and possibly you can change weapon models too... if these models NOT those bad files, which crash GECK. At least you will know.

Edited by CptSmolett