Nexas staff: Shady looking mod just posted, probably virus trap

HIMPDahak

There is a VERY shady looking mod posted by desuccubi (a new ID just created today). It is a nude mod that is FAR too advanced for this point in the game's life, comments are disabled, the pictures look like they are from New Vegas, and the file is password protected with a link to a download site to download the password. Because I like to remain unvirused, I did not attempt to download the password to test my theory that this is a trap.

Mod link: http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/329/?

Edit: And I apparently forgot how to spell Nexus so now my posting about a shady mod looks shady :P

Edited by HIMPDahak

Ok, when you find something suspicious about a specific mod - please use the "report" button located on the mod's download page (It's the little triangle with the exclamation mark in the middle directly below the mod images) and fill out the form accordingly.

There are hundreds of new threads posted every day, it's easy for the staff to not see a thread aimed at them. Which is why we have the report features for mods, users and threads, which only the staff can see and are sure to look over asap.

Agreed. I tried to load the pw link in a Sandboxie session with Private Browsing and NoScript on.

For a sec you see 'icon' called password.txt before you get immediately re-directed to 'widget.sharecash.org/nojs.php' complaining that JavaScript is disabled. So can't say (and won';t find out) what's there.

reported.

• 2 months later...

It is against Nexus policy to upload password protected files at all. Just because of what this shows - it is too easy to hide malware or stolen mods behind a password. Thanks for reporting this. :thumbsup:

An old and tedious SCAM that is rarely about 'trojans', but usually gets the conned individual to visit web-pages and complete activities that get the scammer a tiny amount of money for each page 'impression'.

But please remember, if you can see 'ads' or 'flash video' (or PDF files on Firefox) on your browser, an attacker can use this fact as a vector to load a trojan on your computer. Given that the most 'respectable' media sites have served MILLIONS of trojans to visitors in the last few years, via ads they illegally claimed to have no responsibility for, everything online must be considered a risk.

Funny fact- the password con originally gave people access to a real file, when they jumped through all the password hoops and filled out all the surveys requested. But the criminal scammers then found offering fake files worked pretty much as well.