Romance Nick Valentine

DarkFairy003

As far as dialogue is concerned the existing dialogue from Nick isn't all there is. You can also try some parts of Stephen Russell's other similar sounding characters if you're trying to make new dialogue.

If you mean audio from similar sounding characters in other games, unless you get permission from the developers you aren't allowed to post mods containing copyrighted assets on the Nexus.

EDIT: In Fallout 4 itself he also voices Codsworth and Percy (At least that's what it says on the wiki) but I don't think they really have any usable dialogue especially since his voice is different for the robots.

Edited by TheFoxQueen

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I give my voice to this vote. Make it happen!

I would pay Bethesda extra money, just to get Nick Valentine as a romance option.

Please, I hope you can make this happen :3

I wish I was better with romance writings, so that I could help. But romance is not my author forte... >_>

Funny how I always end up loving the characters most that are not romance-able.

Dragon Age Origin, it was Sten.

Dragon Age II and Inquistion, it was Varric.

Elder Scrolls IV and V, it was Sheogorath ( xD I'm weird)

Mass Effect 1, it was Garrus and Tali (glad they changed that for ME2 and ME3)

Neverwinter Nights, so many too count in there...

They always give us the weirdos! Kaidan, Ashley, Miranda, Jacob, Sera... Okay, DA has not so many weirdos, I guess. And Elder Scrolls neither x3

Romancing a Gen 3 is one thing, they're practically human. But the Gen 1's and 2's ARE still robots (this includes Valentine), not really romancing material if you ask me (unless you're into that sorta thing).

Actually, the only other companion that we know for sure is a robot is Curie, she's a Mrs. Handy after all, and she's romancable for god's sake.

Only after she's been downloaded to a Gen 3, which is practically human.

Edited by Guest

I give my voice to this vote. Make it happen!

I would pay Bethesda extra money, just to get Nick Valentine as a romance option.

Please, I hope you can make this happen :3

I wish I was better with romance writings, so that I could help. But romance is not my author forte... >_>

Funny how I always end up loving the characters most that are not romance-able.

Dragon Age Origin, it was Sten.

Dragon Age II and Inquistion, it was Varric.

Elder Scrolls IV and V, it was Sheogorath ( xD I'm weird)

Mass Effect 1, it was Garrus and Tali (glad they changed that for ME2 and ME3)

Neverwinter Nights, so many too count in there...

They always give us the weirdos! Kaidan, Ashley, Miranda, Jacob, Sera... Okay, DA has not so many weirdos, I guess. And Elder Scrolls neither x3

This is 100% me!

Nick is the next one on my list of "Could've been great."

Alone how he talks to you about him being a Synth 'n stuff.

It's so much deeper written than per example Prestons "Mimimi-Minuteman."

Seriously.

Are those companies doing it on purpose to throw boring romance-characters at us, while the best are always friendzoning us?!

Adding my vote to this as well! Also, I've worked a bit on getting the dialogue part of this off the ground, and I wanted to share what I've figured out so far with you guys and see if anyone is interested in collaborating with me.

The way I would personally like to see this mod implemented is to try to mimic the format of the romances in the vanilla game as much as possible, so it plays out like it was always meant to be there (because seriously why wasn't it?).

So we'd replace some of the current dialogue options in the game during Nick's approval conversations with "flirts," add a "romance" option at the end of his final approval conversation, and add a version of that final approval conversation that would pop up occasionally if you travel with him so you'd have a second chance to romance him if you didn't do it the first time (or couldn't because you didn't have the mod yet).

I figured out where the "flirt" and "romance" dialogue options probably would have gone in each of Nick's approval conversations if he had been romancable (on most companions it seems to be in the very last set of dialogue choices the sole survivor gets to choose between), and the way his conversations are written I think those points in the dialogue actually lead pretty naturally into flirty responses.

You'd also need to create romance specific versions of some of the lines Nick says when you interact with him afterwards (for when you walk up to him and select "talk" or "relationship?") like the other romancable companions have, plus some lines for him to say after you get the "lover's embrace" experience boost. And a romance specific version of the "falling out" dialogue too I suppose.

So then there's the issue of how to create the new dialogue. I don't think anyone seems in favor of it being silent, and neither am I, so then it comes down to either writing new dialogue and trying to cast sound-alikes (for Nick and possibly both the male and female sole survivors too) or trying to edit together the vanilla dialogue. Neither option is perfect, as others have already observed - I think casting convincing enough sound alikes would be really tricky, but editing together the existing dialogue limits the writing a lot and could also sound pretty jarring.

Personally I thought it was worth it to try using the existing dialogue first and just see how it goes. I've poked around in the vanilla dialogue a bit (using this) and I think I have come up with some acceptable dialogue options that would use spliced together lines. Admittedly, it's a little clunky; I was limited to what is already there, I wanted to use lines that had the right emotional tone, and I wanted to limit the amount of splicing lines together as much as possible (I tried to keep it limited to breaks between phrases or sentences in the hopes that it won't sound too jarring).

I'm planning to edit some of that audio together next and see how it sounds, but if anyone is interested it would be great to have someone read over what I came up with first and see if it seems ok. Reply in this thread or pm me and let me know if you want to take a look! If there's enough interest I'll just share what I have so far with everybody. I plan to share the edited audio files too once I have those.

Also right now I have no idea how to actually implement the audio into the game once it's done, or what is involved in getting the right character animations to go along with it, or how you'd get the game to flag the romance status properly afterward, etc (my past modding experience is pretty limited). I assume we'd probably need the creation kit first? So I'm really hoping someone reading this thread knows how to do that stuff and would like to work with me on it! Just let me know!

And if anyone really wants to write new dialogue instead and is looking for a collaborator, I'd be happy to work on that too.