mod to separate throw grenade and weapon bash

mrfoxx

Combat was like - Want to throw a grenade, hit keybind to equip grenades, throw it, hit Tab for Pip-boy, scroll items, unequip grenades, now can hit enemy with melee / hold breath, and repeat if need grenades again. And then "Oh S*** I'm in power armor and that perk..", ejected Fusion Core, reload last save...

Changed keybind for Throw/Melee - little bit better, but still a lot of Pip-boy usage during combat for such trivial tasks. Very not intuitive keybindings by Bethesda...

If someone could make a mod:

1. Keybind for [ Unequip "secondary weapon" (any currently equiped grenades) ]

Or unequip all currently equipped weapons, because it would be much better than "open Pip-boy, scroll......" - you'll just need to press weapon hot-key to bring up weapon again...

2. Separate key bindings for

- Throw

- Melee power attack

- Eject Fusion Core

- Hold breath

Any of those two mods will make game controls incomparably better.

Edited by Dareel

Amazed no one pointed out that the Fusion Core Eject is linked to the same key as well....seriously, da fuq is up with the ALT love, one key for everything.

Good LORD this has killed me on more than one occasion.

I wonder why it isn't in the keybindings?

• 4 weeks later...

Actually, I would so much prefer grenades to be primary weapons, just like in most shooters (take counterstrike as a well known representative):

a) you can see what kind of grenade you are about to throw,

b) you can have it bound to "switch weapon" buttons

c) ... well... no c. But the amount of artillery smoke I've thrown at ghouls in a pipe is .... impressive.

Beth really dropped the ball with the PC user interface - They tried hard to make it as much like the console interface as possible with the really dumb concept that somehow this would make the 'experience' the same on PC as on a console. This essentially cripples the PC players. While the console has a very limited number of controls, a PC using KB+mouse has a nearly unlimited number of possible controls. Limited mostly by just how many combinations of key presses on both KB & mouse you can remember. There is no consistacy in the interface - what exits one screen does something entirely different on another screen. Use the E to open some containers (unlock), but if you are wearing Power armor and try it on the wrong kind of container, you exit the Power armor. http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f351/charonn0/ohgeez-1.gif

The the HUD, again it is the Console HUD with absolutely no concession to PC players. That shows you exactly where PC players stand with Beth - not worth bothering with. Oh yeah, we sorta kinda made a PC version, but didn't put very much work into making it work PROPERLY on a PC. :pinch:

F4SE does have a key mapping text file to help figure out what you can do, And I suspect someone will eventually make a more PC oriented Key mapping that actually makes sense. One that has a consistent exit, a dedicated PA enter & exit key, a Grenade key, A Bash key, And hopefully a PC settlement build menu to replace the console type klutzy pictures with and up down and sideways movement to navigate that is made to emulate the joystick type control used on a console.

Some possible suggestions: G for grenade, P to enter and exit Power armor, (or possibly Page up to enter and page down to exit) V for VATS (make it a toggle instead of having to use tab to exit vats) then use M1 to target in vats, B for bash, O to open build mode, Z to pick up and drop an object, I have already mapped the space to replace E as the use key, and put jump on E instead. But J would actually make more sense for jump leaving E available for something else that is used more often than jump.

Any other suggestions for a more consistent UI?

G for grenade, P to enter and exit Power armor, (or possibly Page up to enter and page down to exit) V for VATS (make it a toggle instead of having to use tab to exit vats) then use M1 to target in vats, B for bash, O to open build mode, Z to pick up and drop an object

Yes plz!