Nexus Mod Manager (0.61.0) with Fallout 4 Support Released!

SirSalami

The first time you start the game it checks your hardware and creates the ini file based on what it finds. The game should work then.

The ini changes needed to get NMM to work are not going to cause problems as they are NOT based on any specific hardware. They are just a few changes to YOUR ini, not a complete ini replacement

The problem comes from some modder claiming he has the perfect ini for the game and saying just download his ini and replace your ini with it. These people really have no clue that the ini is not the same for everyone.

There are two ini files BOTH must have the proper changes and they are different for each one. Be sure to save the file after editing it

Here are the insrtructions from the link

How to enable modding

1. Navigate to your Fallout 4 Folder at the following location "Documents/My Games/Fallout 4"
  2. Within this folder will be a number of .ini files, highlight "Fallout4Prefs.ini" and "Fallout4.ini".
  3. Right Click, select Properties and ensure that these are NOT marked as read only.
  4. Open Fallout4Prefs.ini with your favourite text editor (we use Notepad++). - ANY Text editor will work, including the notepad built into Windows
  5. Navigate to the very bottom and you will see the line [Launcher]. Directly underneath this, copy the following text: bEnableFileSelection=1
  6. Save and Close
  7. Open Fallout4.ini with your favourite text editor.
  8. Find the line that reads: sResourceDataDirsFinal=STRINGS\
  9. Replace this with the following text: Pay attention to punctuation, spelling and spaces as if you get anything wrong it will not work. easiest way is to copy from here and paste to the ini file sResourceDataDirsFinal=STRINGS\, TEXTURES\, MUSIC\, SOUND\, INTERFACE\, MESHES\, PROGRAMS\, MATERIALS\, LODSETTINGS\, VIS\, MISC\, SCRIPTS\, SHADERSFX\
  10. Save and close...

You're ready to get modding :)

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The first time you start the game it checks your hardware and creates the ini file based on what it finds. The game should work then.

The ini changes needed to get NMM to work are not going to cause problems as they are NOT based on any specific hardware. They are just a few changes to YOUR ini, not a complete ini replacement

The problem comes from some modder claiming he has the perfect ini for the game and saying just download his ini and replace your ini with it. These people really have no clue that the ini is not the same for everyone.

There are two ini files BOTH must have the proper changes and they are different for each one. Be sure to save the file after editing it

How to enable modding

1. Navigate to your Fallout 4 Folder at the following location "Documents/My Games/Fallout 4"
  2. Within this folder will be a number of .ini files, highlight "Fallout4Prefs.ini" and "Fallout4.ini".
  3. Right Click, select Properties and ensure that these are NOT marked as read only.
  4. Open Fallout4Prefs.ini with your favourite text editor (we use Notepad++). - ANY Text editor will work, including the notepad built into Windows
  5. Navigate to the very bottom and you will see the line [Launcher]. Directly underneath this, copy the following text: bEnableFileSelection=1
  6. Save and Close
  9. Replace this with the following text: Pay attention to punctuation, spelling and spaces as if you get anything wrong it will not work. easiest way is to copy from here and paste to the ini file sResourceDataDirsFinal=STRINGS\, TEXTURES\, MUSIC\, SOUND\, INTERFACE\, MESHES\, PROGRAMS\, MATERIALS\, LODSETTINGS\, VIS\, MISC\, SCRIPTS\, SHADERSFX\
  10. Save and close...

You're ready to get modding :smile:

I have done all that you have listed to the letter. And still the NNM warning apears and I cannot ativate any mods that I have downloded.

How do I install NMM WITHOUT having to use profiling system? I use only one mod build and don't want to have to reinstall all mods which could lead to unneeded problems just so I'd use only one profile. It's an unrequired feature for me and I don't want to do that step.

In response to post #30728185.

bben46 wrote:

How to enable modding

6. Save and Close
  10. Save and close...

You're ready to get modding :)

Both ini files modified, still got warning pop-up. What am I doing wrong?

In response to post #30729645.

BigSexy2010 wrote:

How to enable modding

Navigate to your Fallout 4 Folder at the following location "Documents/My Games/Fallout 4" Within this folder will be a number of .ini files, highlight "Fallout4Prefs.ini" and "Fallout4.ini". Right Click, select Properties and ensure that these are NOT marked as read only. Open Fallout4Prefs.ini with your favourite text editor (we use Notepad++). - ANY Text editor will work, including the notepad built into Windows Navigate to the very bottom and you will see the line [Launcher]. Directly underneath this, copy the following text: bEnableFileSelection=1 Save and Close Open Fallout4.ini with your favourite text editor. Find the line that reads: sResourceDataDirsFinal=STRINGS\ Replace this with the following text: Pay attention to punctuation, spelling and spaces as if you get anything wrong it will not work. easiest way is to copy from here and paste to the ini file sResourceDataDirsFinal=STRINGS\, TEXTURES\, MUSIC\, SOUND\, INTERFACE\, MESHES\, PROGRAMS\, MATERIALS\, LODSETTINGS\, VIS\, MISC\, SCRIPTS\, SHADERSFX\ Save and close...

I have done all that you have listed to the letter. And still the NNM warning apears and I cannot ativate any mods that I have downloded.

Problem solved.

You probably have whitespace after this guy "SHADERSFX\" in fallout4.ini and NMM apparently checks lines by exact matching... so it filters out your modifications to ini files %) Edited by chivadiamo

In response to post #30629155. #30633445 is also a reply to the same post.

4vengersoul wrote: Installed and added the .ini lines needed, as well as triple checked them and the game will load for about 2-3 seconds and ctd with no error. Nothing I have done, including verifying files and starting from scratch will allow the game to work. Uninstalling NMM however will let the game load just fine only after I verify game files.
garikmoespeaker wrote: I am having a nearly identical issue.

Same here.

BigSexy2010 wrote:

How to enable modding

6. Save and Close
  10. Save and close...

Problem solved.

You probably have whitespace after this guy "SHADERSFX\" in fallout4.ini and NMM apparently checks lines by exact matching... so it filters out your modifications to ini files %)

I checked for whitespace there was none problem presists. Any other ideas?

In response to post #30778695.

BigSexy2010 wrote:

BigSexy2010 wrote:

How to enable modding

Navigate to your Fallout 4 Folder at the following location "Documents/My Games/Fallout 4" Within this folder will be a number of .ini files, highlight "Fallout4Prefs.ini" and "Fallout4.ini". Right Click, select Properties and ensure that these are NOT marked as read only. Open Fallout4Prefs.ini with your favourite text editor (we use Notepad++). - ANY Text editor will work, including the notepad built into Windows Navigate to the very bottom and you will see the line [Launcher]. Directly underneath this, copy the following text: bEnableFileSelection=1 Save and Close Open Fallout4.ini with your favourite text editor. Find the line that reads: sResourceDataDirsFinal=STRINGS\ Replace this with the following text: Pay attention to punctuation, spelling and spaces as if you get anything wrong it will not work. easiest way is to copy from here and paste to the ini file sResourceDataDirsFinal=STRINGS\, TEXTURES\, MUSIC\, SOUND\, INTERFACE\, MESHES\, PROGRAMS\, MATERIALS\, LODSETTINGS\, VIS\, MISC\, SCRIPTS\, SHADERSFX\ Save and close...

Problem solved.

You probably have whitespace after this guy "SHADERSFX\" in fallout4.ini and NMM apparently checks lines by exact matching... so it filters out your modifications to ini files %)

I checked for whitespace there was none problem presists. Any other ideas?

Same here. I've scoured for answers but all were futile in helping :(