Fat Man question

peteed1985

Theres an experimental modification for the Fat Man called the MIRV Launcher that I can swap the Standard Launcher out for, Thing is it takes rank 4 gun nut and rank 4 science.

Standard Launcher 468 dmg

MIRV Launcher 18 dmg......from a mini nuke............

Its weight and value go up too but that is it from what the modding station says.

Why would anyone invest all those perks and materials to make a weapon do 1/26th of its original dmg with ammo that is so rare? Did Bethesda fail and forget a couple of zeroes or something?

Wasn't there a weapon with this name in Fallout 3 that was like... basically the equivelant of unleashing a second apocalypse when fired? I think lanching several mini-nukes was exactly what it did, so I think qwertyzeldar is probably right on the money. The tiny damage number is probably if you bonk something with the initial carrier projectile.

Wasn't there a weapon with this name in Fallout 3 that was like... basically the equivelant of unleashing a second apocalypse when fired? I think lanching several mini-nukes was exactly what it did, so I think qwertyzeldar is probably right on the money. The tiny damage number is probably if you bonk something with the initial carrier projectile.

yes the Experimental MIRV, it fired 8 mini nukes and had quite a bit of negatives mainly because there were only about 100 mini nukes in FO3.

a MIRV (multiple independently targetable reentry vehicle) is a real life weapon type though: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiple_independently_targetable_reentry_vehicle

i dont know how the weapons works in game but im sure it launches a lot of smaller projectiles. it has to have a reason for having so little damage.

The low damage has to be a typo, because it most certainly can obliterate just about anything you point it in the general direction of (and whatever was behind it, and in front of it, and beside it, and in the adjacent area code).

The biggest problem with the MIRV Fat Man is and has always been that its spread is inconsistent and it is entirely too easy to nuke yourself into orbit along with whatever you were trying to kill. There really isn't any enemy in the game that you need the MIRV to kill; it exists purely for the LOL factor of being able to vaporize whole raider camps in a single salvo.

The low damage of the MIRV modification is due to how the game calculates the damage based on the bullet itself. That is, if some bullet has some special effect(like a magic effect in Elder Scrolls Series), it doesn't add up to the total damage of the certain weapon that uses said ammunition you can see in the inventory, it only adds the damage of the bullet itself, as all the ammunition have certain amount of damage.

At least, that how FALLOUT 3 bullet damage was calculated. Same would probably go to Creation Kit for Fallout 4, cause it is based on the same ol' Gamebryo(TES 3,4 and Fallout 3 Engine).

Way i see it, MIRV projectile is somewhat unique to normal mini nuke. First projectile flies first and it drops down the second projectiles(real damage it causes) vertically, scatter around the target and BOOM, first projectile just disappears afterwards.

I experimented fully with Fat Man MIRV, and the damage was far superior to normal Fat Man. And it uses only one ammo when firing, despite the fact it launches 8 or 9(way I see it) projectiles at once.

But the range of the MIRV is quite short, compared to normal Fat Man. So I think MIRV is quite useful when firing at the top of the area.

Edited by AllenMaruchi

• 2 weeks later...