Cbash or Pbash.

Lost2270

So which one of these should I use. Pbash takes longer, and seems to recognize a smaller amount of plugins, whereas Cbash works much faster, recognizes more plugins, and gives me an error message (even if I'm not fluent enough in code to recognize what it means).

I know it says to use Pbash, because Cbash is still in development, but I'm not sure exactly when that was written, as I've come across sevral outdated things in my time modding oblivion.

I use CBash. Other people use PBash.

If you mean these errors:

RecordProcessor: Warning - Information lost. Record skipped with duplicate formID: 00000000

Then, according to Arthmoor, you can ignore those Bash messages. They're debug info for CBash. The only time it would be important is if the form ID it reports is something other than all zeros.

CBash might be still in Beta status but it's very stable. If you are looking to free up mod slots, definitely go with CBash because it will merge some of the mods that PBash cannot. If you don't have an extensive number of mods installed PBAsh is way to go. :) BTW I don't think CBash development will continue anytime soon. Wrye Bash developers are currently working on removing unnecessary features that are no longer needed and also for Skyrim patcher as well.

• 4 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

User Vrugdush summarized some of the differences between them, and the problems existing mainly with CBash.

Source: https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/65868-weather-all-natural/page-240&do=findComment&comment=59931876

Actually, CBash still has a lot of bugs. The Beta designation is definitely deserved. Unfortunately, the Wrye Bash team doesn't have anyone who can work on it at the moment.
Among other things, CBash doesn't properly use the Tags R.AddSpells and R.ChangeSpells, it has trouble forwarding the proper data when more than one mod marked NoMerge touches the same record, it sometimes renames Leveled Lists, it doesn't properly do Cobl Catalogs for some effects, it sometimes doesn't import face data, and it sometimes adds erroneous extra flags when mods are Tagged with Actors.ACBS.
CBash is nice because it can merge more kinds of records, but I'd say make sure to check the results in TES4Edit if you use it.
Personally I use both a Python Bashed Patch and a CBash one, with the Python one loading after. The only thing I've noticed that CBash does better, is the "Magic: Script Effect Silencer" tweak, where the Python version removes the NULL mesh, and the CBash one doesn't. Apparently removing the mesh can cause problems.
Edited by Oooiii