ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

Movement Blur / Stationary Sharpening (not TAA related)

mrspongeworthy

I have one of two things going on. Either a) The game is extremely sharp unless I am moving, at which point motion blur is applied (despite being turned off), or b) the game is naturally blurry but applies some sort of sharpening filter as soon as I stand still. The effect is slightly annoying during the day and incredibly glaring during nights. To see what I'm talking about go to somewhere with lots of bushes and grass and trees at night. Stand still and look at the bushes/trees. See the bright shimmering around the branches that looks like really bad ultra-high sharpening? Now start moving and watch all that shimmering go away. Stop moving and watch it come back! I get this on two systems with different configurations and different video cards (7870 and 650m, so two different manufacturers as well), and ran across a similar complaint here:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/377160/discussions/0/496881121380239702/

Where it was suggested that it was TAA (I'm not using TAA).

It's driving my absolutely up the wall because the fidelity of the image changes dramatically based on whether or not I am in motion, making it impossible to get AA settings or any other type of post-processing sharpness settings correct. What's correct when I'm not moving and when I am in motion are vastly different.

Troubleshooting to date:

- Disabled all AA and post-processing of all types (removed .dll files for ENB and ReShade just to be sure).

- Disabled all graphics-driver options (set everything to "use game settings").

- Checked all ini files to be sure something like TAA wasn't stuck-on (it's not).

I sure hope someone knows what the heck is up and can help. This is almost as annoying as that darn eye-adaptation thing that was built-into Skyrim. It's really making FO4 hard to play for me (now it's sharp, now it's not, now it's sharp, now it's not, now it's sharp, now it's not, ARGH!)

Any help would be appreciated!

TLDR crib notes: Two systems with same problem, post-processing off, AA off, lots of trouble-shooting already done, appears to be a fundamental game-engine "feature", how do I disable?

I too have the same issue.

TAA/FXAA - off.

Sweetfx/reshade - uninstalled entirely.

Motion blur off - godrays off - dof off - any blur in ini's (useful or not - turned off)

Driver level options variants... off.

Its all.. off.

I've also already nuked the entire install + any config directories.

I've blasted all nvidia anything off my computer and reinstalled.

I give up. It blurs when I move.

Well, through the absolutely insane use of AMD's MPAA forced in the Catalyst software, to in-game TAA turned ON, to post processing with ReShade/SweetFX for then sharpening the image and using filmgrain, I was finally able to get this effect to go from "absurdly annoying" to "somewhat annoying." What a win!

Using a super-resolution and letting the card downsample also helped a LOT, but unfortunately my card just isn't quite up to that so I had to set the resolution back down to my native 1080p. So if you have the power to do this, it may be your easiest and simplest solution.

Hope someone out there can figure out what setting to tweak in the ini files to get rid of this effect completely, until then, if you are willing to play with things enough you can reduce the effect slightly.

Someone else posted what I suspect is a similar issue, with a movie:

http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/3427730-static-aa-shimmer-z-fightingidk/

We gotta figure out how to fix this; it's a major eyesore. It's maybe not the exact same issue, but my guess is related to some sort of static-image sharpening built into the engine...

Edited by Mr_SpongeWorthy

Ultimately the only thing I discovered that would help at all was running a higher-resolution than my display and downsampling. This cleared it up quite a bit. It's still there, but not nearly as distracting. Getting FO4 to run reliably at 30fps + at 2560x1440 was an interesting lesson in patience, that's for sure. But I seem to have it working.

Does this simply not bother anyone else? I found I disliked it so much I couldn't even play at night (the effect is GREATLY exaggerated at night; go look at some bushes or trees against a night-sky) and would just find a place to sit or sleep until morning.

Edited by Mr_SpongeWorthy