Hacking strange or am I just stupid?

AlphaWurmi

Aloha,

so I came across a certain terminal and wanted to hack it. I mean I know that I can skip it easily, but since I just want to understand it, I'm asking you guys.

Word 1: D R A G O N S - 0 matches

Word 2: C R U S H E D - 3 matches (small question: Does this mean, the 3 matches must be at the same "spot" of the code-word, or at a random place?)

Word 3: C O U N T E R - 3 matches (again 3 matches, so I thought that the code-word must contain a "C", "U" and "E")

And there is the problem, I searched for like minutes and I don't find it, so my thoughts I'm simply blind or I don't understand hacking, which is why I'm looking forward for some help!

Edit: I had to decrease the quality of the image to get the size of 250KB, hope it's still fine!

Greetings

- AlphaWurmi

Edited by AlphaWurmi

No, your not stupid, because I had the same conclusions/issues, and I'm not as bright as you. I'm too impatient to find a pattern anyway, and long ago resorted to random choice/back out if I'm at last pick. I thought the no warning thing was isolated, didn't even catch on to it being pervasive.

No, your not stupid, because I had the same conclusions/issues, and I'm not as bright as you. I'm too impatient to find a pattern anyway, and long ago resorted to random choice/back out if I'm at last pick. I thought the no warning thing was isolated, didn't even catch on to it being pervasive.

Seems like a goofy way to measure someone's intelligence, comparing it to yourself, an admittedly not bright person.

If it says you have 3 matches, that means you have three correct letters in the correct position.

crUshED

coUNtEr

shUNnED

So you're telling me that Bethesda f**ked something up here too? Well I thought about this too, but meh thought I'm doing something wrong

Thanks for the reply :smile:

Nope, cause they didn't. They messed up surprisingly little in Fallout 4.

It's easy to fall into the trap of focusing on the similarities between the matching words, rather than looking for similarities between them and other words that can still be picked. That doesn't mean there's something wrong with the puzzle though.

Somebody showed me a tip to take most of the guesswork out. You look for the little brackets and click them to remove duds and restore guesses.

By the time you've done all that you only have 2 choices left and you take a random guess.