Tutorial for building NMM installer scripts.

ShinraStrife

Quick question:

Can the file source and destination tag be different and still function properly? Like filesource="foo.dds" destination="bar.dds"?

Basically, I want to set up choosing a default option from among 4 dozen by renaming a texture, since that would be the most efficient option for everyone.

Edit: Nevermind, I finally found it.

(Yes, you can, for the googling masses.)

Edited by ruewinter

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quick question:

Can the file source and destination tag be different and still function properly? Like filesource="foo.dds" destination="bar.dds"?

Basically, I want to set up choosing a default option from among 4 dozen by renaming a texture, since that would be the most efficient option for everyone.

Edit: Nevermind, I finally found it.

(Yes, you can, for the googling masses.)

Glad you were able to figure it out. I added clarification on it in case anyone reading the tutorial has the same question.

Edited by ShinraStrife

• 1 month later...

I'm sorry if this annoyingly simple, but I wasn't able to find the answers elsewhere.

A. Would this method work with a Skyrim mod, or would it require some kind of changes?

B. Would there be a way for the installer to combine the options into a single plugin, so that I don't bloat the players with too many plugins?

I'm sorry if you went over exactly one of or both of those questions in the main bulk of the text. If you did I missed it completely and utterly and offer you a thousand apologies. But I found your tutorial to be very informative and well written. It will certainly help me for the 2,0 of my first mod. Thank you so much!

I'm sorry if this annoyingly simple, but I wasn't able to find the answers elsewhere.

A. Would this method work with a Skyrim mod, or would it require some kind of changes?

B. Would there be a way for the installer to combine the options into a single plugin, so that I don't bloat the players with too many plugins?

I'm sorry if you went over exactly one of or both of those questions in the main bulk of the text. If you did I missed it completely and utterly and offer you a thousand apologies. But I found your tutorial to be very informative and well written. It will certainly help me for the 2,0 of my first mod. Thank you so much!

Sorry that this reply is a few days late but to answer your question; Yes, this tutorial works with any game that NMM can manage mods for (Fallout 3, Fallout New Vegas, Skyrim, Fallout 4, ect.)

Sorry that this reply is a few days late but to answer your question; Yes, this tutorial works with any game that NMM can manage mods for (Fallout 3, Fallout New Vegas, Skyrim, Fallout 4, ect.)

It's all good in the hood, and thanks! I just wanted to be sure I wasn't going to assassinate anyone's computer.

It's all good in the hood, and thanks! I just wanted to be sure I wasn't going to assassinate anyone's computer.

I forgot to answer your other question *facepalm*

NMM can't edit/combine plugins on the fly. There was a mod for skyrim that went about this a different way but it required users to download FO4Edit and run a script that automated the combining of plugins.

This tutorial is the type of thing that should be add to the nexus wiki or something like that. Thank you for providing it.

Thanks!

Also, old post but I did find a solution to an older question asked and I'm posting this so if anyone needs to know how to pack INI edits with their mod, they can.

It seems that only the default fallout.ini can be modified by the script.cs method, or did i miss something?

I tried the example file from the link below, but the NMM crashes when it tries to modify the fallout.ini. Is this a know bug? Or maybe something in the NMM had changed since this tutorial (from the link) was released?

( https://zumbs.wordpress.com/2009/11/08/fomm-and-fomods-for-dummies-3/ )

That tutorial was written when FOMM was still popular. NMM, as far as I know, does not allow automated executables or automated INI edits. This is probably for security measures. It would be far too easy for a troll to pack a malicious exe or an INI edit that ruins the users installation.

You have to add an INI file inside the Data folder with the same name as your .esp file and the INI settings you want added/changed. This page on the CK wiki covers it: http://www.creationkit.com/index.php?title=INI_files#Mod_Defined

EDIT: Updated tutorial with a link to the CK wiki explaining INI edit packaging.

Edited by ShinraStrife

Thank you so much for making this! It's very well written and easy to use. I do have one question, and it's probably really obvious, but I don't know how to make the script actually work with the nmm.

I don't understand your question. Are you asking how NMM uses the XML files to display an installer, or have you made a script and are having trouble getting it to work?

Edited by ShinraStrife