Is Blender viable for Fallout 4 modding?

s4ndm4n2006

My question is, as I prepare to get back into playing with 3d modeling for the purposes of modding, I want to know whether Blender is a viable option for creating items, modifying them and such for Fallout 4. I have played with 3ds Max prior to this for modding Skyrim, but to be honest the version of 3ds max I had was an educational version which I no longer have access to, and the near-$200 a month subscription isn't really an option for me.

I looked at Maya LT for this purpose as it's a reasonably priced subscription but free being even better and I think I see more people talking about Blender in general than Maya, it seems to be the better choice.

I'm also curious as to whether there will be a reasonable number of tutorials on blender for fallout 4. Actually I think finding tutorials on modeling itself wont' be so hard but specificaly working with nif files for Fallout would be handy as I am not sure how similar it will be working with the format from Fallout 4 in comparison to Skyrim.

Just looking for some opinions and thoughts on this, maybe even if there is someone who is already doing these things in blender it would help. i know that there is no G.E.C.K. for the game released yet so I dont' expect many to be doing this yet but one can hope!

Thanks

Since blender is free more tutorials will be made for it. Just like there are more gimp tutorials compared to Photoshop.

Normally that is what I would assume but just from experience, it has seemed to me related to skyrim there were far more videos based on 3ds max than blender, which is the reason I bring it up. It's the only reason I even used 3ds max originally for skyrim modding because the only complete tutorials were for it, and blender modeling for that game were a lot fewer.

I suspect the reason for that is that the Blender export, not that Blender is any less. A recent version of the plugin has only been out for ... well not long considering Skyrim is from 2011 and I was experimenting with some 'new' update of the plugin that should work with 2.7x in July ? Well somewhere around that time. The only real tutorials for this plugin where Japanese (or Chinese) not even English ! It was either Alpha or Beta, can't remember.

Basically they left Skyrim Blender users in the dust, having to proddle trough a dinosaur of a Blender version with very hokey-pokey nifscope action needed. Herding cats is easier.

At this very moment, Blender is great, the UI got a revamp (its actually good now ) and there is a lot of information to go to, it has seamless painting and sculpting, things Max doesn't have. Least not that I'm aware of.

Wether the'll let people wait for years again for the exporter is something I don't know, I also don't know what the current state of the Skyrim plugin is. If the Skyrim one works good enough it could be a good sign for Fallout4, not sure here. But if you're interested in 3D in general I'd highly recommend to learn it, its a great program, very underrated in the industry. You won't lose anything by knowing it tbh I found modeling faster in Blender than in Max but that might be personal preference, perhaps learn it and keep an eye on the exporters ?

• 6 months later...

Sorry to bring this up, I'm trying to use Blender to Edit meshes in Fallout 4, but I'm having a problem -dead/old links, no links, not recognize- get the Plug-ins -NIF Import, PyFFi- and necessary tools -Python, Nifscope- for Blender 2.77 or for Blender 2.49b.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry to bring this up, I'm trying to use Blender to Edit meshes in Fallout 4, but I'm having a problem -dead/old links, no links, not recognize- get the Plug-ins -NIF Import, PyFFi- and necessary tools -Python, Nifscope- for Blender 2.77 or for Blender 2.49b.

I am having the same problem.

In particular I cannot find Blender plug-ins for nif import/export.

It looks like the NifTools team was working on a Blender plug-in, here is a link to the discussion:

http://niftools.sourceforge.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=6295

Edited by mkborgelt13

It looks like the NifTools team was working on a Blender plug-in, here is a link to the discussion:

They don't exist, NifTools's Blender plugin has all but ceased development. One of the only two devs jumped ship over some kind of disagreement, and the other one seemingly doesn't have time anymore.

They don't exist, NifTools's Blender plugin has all but ceased development. One of the only two devs jumped ship over some kind of disagreement, and the other one seemingly doesn't have time anymore.

Thanks for filling me in... depressing news though.