I want to make a chicken. . .

Duckfromportal

so, i want to make a chicken in fallout 4, i have no modding experience, but i would assume that i needed to find a model for reference to size in the game probably.

after that i think i'd have to figure the texturing and programming bits for getting it into the game i think,

can any of you help me on this with examples of what directories i would have look at to find the things i would need for references to start this project of mine?

could someone give me suggested programs? i was going to try blender for the modeling, since its free and i can find a plethora of tutorials to start my chicken, but are there other programs ill need?

Am i missing anuy questions i should ask? ill be lurking to hope for a response

Edit: I started on the chicken model, idk if im sizing it correctly or not, i figure ill cross that bridge when i get there. I got the body looking nice to me, but the head and neck still look wonky, if i figure out the textures later this week im going to texture the wings always closed. i havent started on legs yet either. i need to go to be though now i'll try to post a picture or something when i get closer to completion of my chicken model. four hours and im not done with the model. . . of a chicken. . . what am i doing with my life? a chicken apparently :p

Edited by Duckfromportal

Blender 7.x, Blender 4.9, Blender .nif export scripts, Nifskope.

ok so am a complete noob at this and that just befuddled the maze a millionfold, blender 7.x, 4.9, and .nif export scripts im guessing are ad-dons where as nifskope is a place to look at it? imma google these

edit: thank you Danneyo by the way, i'm still looking into this tonight, im on a helpful youtubers tutorial series on blender, episode three so far, i dont know if ill get my answers yet, but i probably will know what you are talking about in a week or so, i thin you mean to save files as .nifs but i don't see that format (might be an addon) and nifscope would allow me to texture exports or something, that 7.x is the scale i think, but i don't know what 4.9b would mean unless you were asking which version in a strange way. sorry if i seem the dope and i got that completely wrong, just spit balling for now

Edited by Duckfromportal

Blender 7.x, Blender 4.9, Blender .nif export scripts, Nifskope.

ok so am a complete noob at this and that just befuddled the maze a millionfold, blender 7.x, 4.9, and .nif export scripts im guessing are ad-dons where as nifskope is a place to look at it? imma google these

edit: thank you Danneyo by the way, i'm still looking into this tonight, im on a helpful youtubers tutorial series on blender, episode three so far, i dont know if ill get my answers yet, but i probably will know what you are talking about in a week or so, i thin you mean to save files as .nifs but i don't see that format (might be an addon) and nifscope would allow me to texture exports or something, that 7.x is the scale i think, but i don't know what 4.9b would mean unless you were asking which version in a strange way. sorry if i seem the dope and i got that completely wrong, just spit balling for now

7.x is the current Blender version. 4.9 is a former Blender version that is the latest version compatible if the .nif plugin, which has several components that need to be installed to function, so that needs to be googled. Nifskope is a standalone program you'll need to get the model into the game.

I'm not really sure what you can do with that chicken until the creation kit is released however...

I was thinking about making a chicken myself actually, I just haven't figured out how I want to make it fit the Fallout world... it needs some sort of mutation... But like I said, isn't much use for a chicken model without a creation kit to make it do stuff in the game.

Is Nifskope even exporting meshes to work in Fallout 4 yet? Maybe I am just behind on my reading.

Is Nifskope even exporting meshes to work in Fallout 4 yet? Maybe I am just behind on my reading.

Import/Export is currently disabled in the Fallout 4 alpha version but you can use an extractor (BAE) and then open them, but all you can do is look at them. Nifskope for Fallout 4 is in early alpha still and they haven't even started updating Niftools yet.