⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

Database Breach - An Update

Dark0ne

can you remove that annoying messege and let people use the site already change me pass word even made a new acount stil docent work i wont find this a problim if there where more site's....BUT THIS IS THE ONLY FREAKING SITE every focking thing ends up here. so hard to to remove the messeges? you warrend them it is not your bad if the fock up now stop focking around

• Replies 547
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

can you remove that annoying messege and let people use the site already change me pass word even made a new acount stil docent work i wont find this a problim if there where more site's....BUT THIS IS THE ONLY FREAKING SITE every focking thing ends up here. so hard to to remove the messeges? you warrend them it is not your bad if the fock up now stop focking around

Try using the contact option found here http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?app=nexus&module=support&section=new, or sending one of the admins a pm.

Is it understood why this only effects accounts from before 2013?

Because that is when the breach actually was. The current panic is people see the word breach and instead of reading, ASSUME it is happening right now. The data was taken at a specific moment in time. Any accounts created after that time cannot be affected as they did not exist at that time. Also, those who elect to have their account closed instead of changing their password are fooling themselves. IF their info was a part of the breach, then the hackers already have it, and closing without changing the password will not keep them from trying to use that password on not just Nexus, but any other sites where they used the same password.

Nexus does NOT keep any sensitive data on the site, No financial or credit card numbers are even on the site. We don't even know your real name unless you posted it somewhere. We really don't need that kind of data for what we do here. So, the problem is not that the hacker can do something with your account here, but that you made the error of using the same password on some other site where they do keep sensitive data. :pinch:

Change your password. Not just on Nexus, but every other site where you used that same password. If in doubt, change your password anyway. And, please use a password that is not easy to guess. Best is 8 or more characters, includes both upper and lower case, a number and a non letter character. One of the most common passwords is monkey, 6 lower case alpha characters and a word that can be found in any dictionary. For some reason a lot of people choose that. Just changing it a little MonkeY&76 - A 9 character combination of upper and lower case, the non alpha character '&' and a number will make it far more difficult to guess. :thumbsup:

If you want to see just how difficult your password would be to crack, go here:

https://howsecureismypassword.net/

monkey - was instantly

MonkeY&76 was 4 weeks

The password I use for Nexus was 3000 years. :devil:

In response to post #36351990.

furika wrote:

You should only see this message once, but you'll have to "confirm" you read it to get rid of it first.

So, did you make sure you first checked the box next to the confirmation agreement at the bottom and then hit the button?

I think they further simplified it already by removing the checkbox and just left the button in the mean time, due to far too many people missing the obvious box they were explicitly instructed to check by the text right next to it, but I of course don't know what it looked like when you last saw it.

In response to post #36558045.

ant04 wrote:

What is the estimated time when this error is gone

What "error" exactly are you talking of?

This is about a database breach that happened somewhen in 2013, the leaked account data of which started airing around the end of last year, which raised this alarm.

Do you mean the Full-Page Notification as a reminder to change your password, if your account is older than from 2014 and you haven't done so until now, which is also mentioned inside this news article?

If so, that one's meant to be seen only once in fact, but you have to "confirm" you saw it by clicking a button (or is it still ticking a box first?) at the end down below.

Or are you seeing something else entirely and just mistaking it for what is talked about inside the news article here?

• 4 weeks later...
In response to post #36356490.

bben46 wrote:

Is it understood why this only effects accounts from before 2013?

Because that is when the breach actually was. The current panic is people see the word breach and instead of reading, ASSUME it is happening right now. The data was taken at a specific moment in time. Any accounts created after that time cannot be affected as they did not exist at that time. Also, those who elect to have their account closed instead of changing their password are fooling themselves. IF their info was a part of the breach, then the hackers already have it, and closing without changing the password will not keep them from trying to use that password on not just Nexus, but any other sites where they used the same password.

Nexus does NOT keep any sensitive data on the site, No financial or credit card numbers are even on the site. We don't even know your real name unless you posted it somewhere. We really don't need that kind of data for what we do here. So, the problem is not that the hacker can do something with your account here, but that you made the error of using the same password on some other site where they do keep sensitive data. :pinch:

Change your password. Not just on Nexus, but every other site where you used that same password. If in doubt, change your password anyway. And, please use a password that is not easy to guess. Best is 8 or more characters, includes both upper and lower case, a number and a non letter character. One of the most common passwords is monkey, 6 lower case alpha characters and a word that can be found in any dictionary. For some reason a lot of people choose that. Just changing it a little MonkeY&76 - A 9 character combination of upper and lower case, the non alpha character '&' and a number will make it far more difficult to guess. :thumbsup:

If you want to see just how difficult your password would be to crack, go here:

https://howsecureismypassword.net/

monkey - was instantly

MonkeY&76 was 4 weeks

The password I use for Nexus was 3000 years. :devil:

Dude I love that site. Also I agree with everything you said! Nexus you rule! I just started a career so keep up the work and you will see some green in a couple of years!